L DV
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm currently enjoying a solo playthrough to test the expansion.
I noticed that, if first use "draw them out" with Krennic's finest
(Automatic lightsaber extra for this leader on this mission) and stack it with "capture", performed by Boba Fett, the combo seems pretty hard to counter ( because the Sum of the combat icons).

It's legal and Just a good combo to remember as imperial ( and to be dart of as rebel). Of course, the first step is the weakest of the two and you could have thrown in darthie or soontir fel if you want to Max the mission

Have you guys tried to stack these 2 mission Just because it was beging you to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools

To be honest I feel that ' capture rebel operative ' has lost a lot of power in the expansion. I seriously felt people overused it ( and thus overrated it ) already in the base game, in the expansion it's even weaker.

I'd say that playing that mission to be able to do a capture is really not cost-efficient. Rebel leaders will expose themselves sooner or later. No need to waste missions and leaders for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sringoot wrote:

I'd say that playing that mission to be able to do a capture is really not cost-efficient.

What would you recommend using it for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Ringoot
msg tools
The best use of draw them out would be to take the single admiral/general from the rebel pool and then attack their fleet, disallowing them to retreat and disallowing them combat re rolls, totally destroying one of their fleets.

Insanely powerfull card if you use it this way...

Edit : that said, after using it to kidnap their single admiral/general, one could as well try to capture him as well that turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is just fantastic. Seems OP (without playing) seems like one of the most disruptive card out there, can completely kill a rebel plan/round , and it can be played anywhere, and really succeed most of the time with any applicable leader (even with tagge)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L DV
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at first I though, meh, I could just wait for him/her to come out and then I'll go capture but having 2 characters with spec ops icons in the systm just adds up...

and if I don't...
if you plan to keep your fleets at bay and have some spare leaders, It's a nice one to draw out the most powerful opposer of a certain mission you want to do.

rebels kept Leia in the pool for opposing stuff but I drew her out, rendering her unable to oppose my "Rule by fear". The next mission I had Krennics finest AND Boba Fett throwing dice to cap her. If you add the benefit of the eliminated opposing force of another mission, value starts to add up.

The card can be a waste of resources as well, you certainly need a good chain of plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
jooice wrote:
The card is just fantastic. Seems OP (without playing) seems like one of the most disruptive card out there, can completely kill a rebel plan/round , and it can be played anywhere, and really succeed most of the time with any applicable leader (even with tagge)

This card plays like Misdirection in that even if opposed it can accomplish it's goal of tying up the opponent's leader pool. Of course you're using a leader but it can be worth it since the Rebel leader pool is so vital for opposing critical missions or moving fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Darth Coupon wrote:
jooice wrote:

This card plays like Misdirection in that even if opposed it can accomplish it's goal of tying up the opponent's leader pool. Of course you're using a leader but it can be worth it since the Rebel leader pool is so vital for opposing critical missions or moving fleets.

Aside from the rare lure of the dank side do you often see rebels oppose? It feels somewhat rare to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Darth Coupon wrote:
jooice wrote:

Aside from the rare lure of the dank side do you often see rebels oppose? It feels somewhat rare to me.

fleet movement tho!

The other combo more specific to KF is to use with his action card, that way you are not wasting an action on capture.

just imagine you are about to attack the DS and have Jedi Luke waiting in the pool, suddenly the plan goes to shit, and unless you had chewie in the leader pool to oppose your situation isn't great. your well laid plans with 1 in a million are gone.

if the card said that 1 leader from the pool (Rebel's choice) was sent it would be super strong, but not as strong. or if the "drawn out" leader could oppose it, and upon success be sent back tot the leader pool.

I have to say that between this card and "were the bait" i am worried about playing as the rebels. This card perhaps more-so because it doesn't require a captured leader, or really any other real requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
and unless you had chewie in the leader pool to oppose your situation isn't great.

Or 1-2 leaders on Subversion. If I'm not mistaken, there's no way to counter/mitigate Subversion.

As a side note, I wonder how viable would be for Rebels to keep 1-2 leaders on Subversion each game round, "just in case".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
jooice wrote:
and unless you had chewie in the leader pool to oppose your situation isn't great.

Or 1-2 leaders on Subversion. If I'm not mistaken, there's no way to counter/mitigate Subversion.

As a side note, I wonder how viable would be for Rebels to keep 1-2 leaders on Subversion each game round, "just in case".

isn't this essentially like keeping an extra leader in the pool?
it is a way to guard (not 100%) against losing the 1 leader you really need, but an expensive one.

I thought about using the Rebel action card: False Orders to remove an imperial leader from his mission, but hitting it exact can be very difficult, especially since even Tagge can do it without problems.

I really think that this card is the 1 case where a system like assualt should have been used - or basically no automatic attempts. the empire always needs to roll for this mission, and need to have more successes then the rebel does. As in 1 blank dice vs no dice - doesn't cut it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Perf wrote:

I expect Boba Fett's action card that prevents leades being sent to oppose his mission would still block Subversion, but that's all I can think of at this point.

Perf wrote:

Ergh, that could be upwards of 4 actions 'spent' in two rounds in waiting when there may be other actions prudent. For Rebels, I guess if you're really confident there's going to be an attempt to turn or sarlacc, it would probably be worth it. But I presume that if you try putting subversion on tap for 2 rounds without pulling the trigger, you've pretty much given enough signs to the enemy that you have it.

Of course, maybe that's what you want the other player to think....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrivateBlinky wrote:
an attempt to turn or sarlacc,

I didn't even consider that!
what a combo!
you draw them out to a remote planet, one they will never return from!

And if you have KF's action card set up for that system then you don't even waste a turn to capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
PrivateBlinky wrote:
Perf wrote:

I expect Boba Fett's action card that prevents leades being sent to oppose his mission would still block Subversion, but that's all I can think of at this point.

No, it prevents sending leader to oppose from leader pool, so Subversion is unaffected.

Card for reference:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:
Perf wrote:

No, it prevents sending leader to oppose from leader pool, so Subversion is unaffected.

Card for reference:

What about Boba Fett where?

paraphrased : In next Command Phase, Rebels can’t attempt missions or use action cards here.

does this count as an attempted mission?
i don't think so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
jooice wrote:

What about Boba Fett where?

paraphrased : In next Command Phase, Rebels can’t attempt missions or use action cards here.

i don't think so...

The expansion rules clearly state that Subversion is never attempted, so no, that would also not block Subversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
jooice wrote:
i don't think so...

No, it doesn't.

RotE rulebook p.02, "Card Clarifications" section:
"Unlike other missions, the “Subversion” mission is never attempted."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Private Blinky
msg tools
Perf wrote:
PrivateBlinky wrote:
Perf wrote:

Ah, I forgot that it specifically stated 'leader pool' in the action card, all I could remember is that it prevented leaders from showing up to oppose the mission, my bad. Good catch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubertis Malvenus
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
A deadly effective Imperial triple threat is to use "Draw Them Out" on Luke Skywalker, followed by "Capture Rebel Operative" followed by "Lure of the Dark Side".
You take control of a key Rebel leader and reduce Rebel reputation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My most recent game I did use it to lure Luke out and then captured him. I was going to turn him that round as well but sadly it failed.

However I also manageded to post a bounty on Chirrut and while I captured him by other means earlier in the game I really liked that you could use these tactical combos to make sure the rebels lost reputation. Capturing is generally less of an advantage, it used to mean they'd have 1 fewer leader but the chances are they'll just recruit someone else if they can't rescue, so I found myself saving Tractor Beam and Draw Them Out for when I knew it would cost reputation.

Having said that I also captured a leader first turn, interrogated him second turn, and attacked the base on the third turn so captured leaders are still really, really useful in the right circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalalainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But rules say that in start of any combat rebel/empire player can assign leader for combat purpose. And defending army can retreat even if the retreat planet has leader on it. IT only needs to be influenced. Am i right?
I used the card only to block rebels advancing their army from their planet. Because you cannot move army from region where leader has been activated to mission.
Or am i playing wrong? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Imgone wrote:
But rules say that in start of any combat rebel/empire player can assign leader for combat purpose. And defending army can retreat even if the retreat planet has leader on it. IT only needs to be influenced. Am i right?

Either side can add a leader if they don't have a leader with a tactics value in it. If a leader with tactics values is already there, the cannot add another one (even if they wanted to add a "better" leader).

Either side can retreat, even if there is a leader there. In fact, the defending army can only retreat if they DO have a leader there, since to retreat you move the leader along with the units. No leader = no retreat. (This applies to the attacker, too, but they will almost always have a leader there).

Quote:
I used the card only to block rebels advancing their army from their planet. Because you cannot move army from region where leader has been activated to mission.
Or am i playing wrong? whistle

You are correct, you cannot move units out of a place where there's a leader (except when retreating or if a card specifically allows otherwise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.