Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: Merchant Cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
There is usually something to pimp out in every board game. Some games require more upgrades than others.

Like in Great Western Trail, which uses cubes (I replaced these with rosette stars) to track the value of your prize herds... There are cubes in Caledonia to enact your merchant moves.

I'm not sure why basic cubes have been selected for this, rather than extra meeples or some other more aesthetically satisfying components when all of the other content in Clans has been so lavishly assembled.

Has anyone consider how they might choose to upgrade their cubes to something decadent that is more fittings for a merchant of Caledonia?

Regards,

Stu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Malte
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need, everything ist fine cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Fung
United States
Westbury
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 1: Design cube size stickers with a bag of coin image or the round hat symbol that exist on the tableau.

Option 2: Replace with cube size meeples, similar to how Lord of Waterdeep can be replaced cubes with cube size meeples.

In the end, I will most like not do either because if it does not cover the square image on the tableau, my OCD kicks in and I suffer mental convulsions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the more glamorous and exhilarating grey crates from Meeple Source?

https://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=GreyCrates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Looking at the decadent range of other resources being incrementally contested in the released it appears there were no shapes left except cubes. :-|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered making the merchants more fancy but decided not to because the cubes are by far best in terms of

1) handling, you gotta move them a lot and cubes are always on the "right" side
2) space. Cubes require a small amount of space. Meeples etc. would require way more space on the player board and market board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the lookout for some kind of mini-meeples for the merchants. I think top hats would be great for this, but finding little top hats especially in the player colors will be a tall order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Finding top hat meeples will be a tall order. Mini meeples sounds like the way to go. I couldn't even locate some bridges to upgrade the wooden sticks in my copy of Yunnan this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn.

The cubes do stack nicely.

But these would look pretty cool and they're much more "merchant" like:

12mm Meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.