Secret Hitler» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Veto Power and Term Limits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Are governments that use their Veto Power term-limited?

The rules don't explicitly say they are term-limited. They say governments that use their Veto Power represent inactive governments. I'm assuming they are not term-limited but it would be good to confirm.

Quote:
"Each use of the Veto Power represents an inactive government and advances the Election Tracker by one."

Also, earlier in the rules:

Quote:
There are some other rules that affect eligibility in specific ways: the Veto Power and the Election Tracker. You don’t need to worry about those yet, and we’ll talk about each one in its relevant section.

Again, it seems they are not term-limited to me but I'm not entirely sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cratertop wrote:
Are governments that use their Veto Power term-limited?

My initial thought was yes, but that statement in the Eligibility section referring to the Veto Power calls it into question. The term "inactive government" only appears in the Veto Power section and nowhere else, so that's unclear.

I guess I'd still say yes because using the Veto Power only advances the Election Tracker and term-limits are only resets when the Election Tracker advances three times in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I think about term limits is that the last two people who made up a government that enacted a policy can't be selected as Chancellor. (Except in a five-player game, of course.) When the Election Tracker reaches the end, a policy is enacted by no government, so that means nobody is ineligible any more. When a veto power is used, that government didn't enact a policy, so it is the members of the previous government that did who remain ineligible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haddon Wilson
Canada
Kingston/Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:
Quote:
The last elected President and Chancellor are “term-limited,” and ineligible to be nominated as Chancellor Candidate.

The inactive government did not pass any legislation, but they were elected by the players (making them term-limited), which is why the election tracker is moved forward.

If they weren't term-limited and the liberals had figured out who the fascists were, they would just continue nominating themselves and then vetoing fascist policies until they found a liberal one, without any penalty or risk, because the election tracker wouldn't advance.

As the game progresses, it becomes harder to deceive the liberals, but this should not resolve itself in an easy liberal win through continuous vetoes. The fascists have managed to pass 5 fascist policies and have earned a fair chance at passing a sixth.

To me, that feels more in spirit with the game theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I did a little digging and found another thread asking this question. One commenter links to a thread in the /r/secrethitler subreddit where a game creator answers the question:

Quote:
Veto doesn't have any special effect on eligibility—players who just vetoed are ineligible as usual.

I think the statement in the Eligibility section of the rules is referring to the fact that it's possible for a government excercising the Veto Power to not be term-limited given the following:

- The Veto advanced the election tracker a 3rd time. This happens when the Veto is successful.
- The top policy that is automatically enacted is a liberal policy (if it was fascist, the fascists would win).
- The election tracker is reset and existing term-limits forgotten

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1680620/veto-power-question
https://www.reddit.com/r/SecretHitler/comments/4gv7j3/update...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense. Thanks for finding an official answer, Miguel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cratertop wrote:
- The Veto advanced the election tracker a 3rd time. This happens when the Veto is successful.

I don't think that can happen. When the government is elected, the tracker is immediately reset, so after the veto it's always on the second space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
David Goldfarb wrote:
cratertop wrote:

I don't think that can happen. When the government is elected, the tracker is immediately reset, so after the veto it's always on the second space.

According to the rules, the election tracker is reset when a policy is enacted, not when a government is elected.

Quote:
Any time a new Policy tile is played face-up, the Election Tracker is reset, whether it was enacted by an elected government or enacted by the frustrated populace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.