Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEW to me in 2017
How We Like It: Average
Current Rating: 6.0
Plays: 6 plays this year; 6 plays all-time
Latest Thought (August 2017) - This game is a blind purchase mainly after reading a few positive reviews on its solo gameplay, it doesn't fare too badly.

Its expedition setting promises the thrills and risks of venturing into the unknowns. This sense of uncertainty is surfaced by the gameplay when encounters (as on the card) are drawn from deck or are contributed from player's hand. So as a player, just like any worthwhile adventure, you can control certain things you know (from your hand) but also have to accept to face what's put in front of you (from the deck).

And it doesn't stop here. Once the six encounters are laid out for the day (or night), players have to face them one by one, potentially making decisions on how to handle these obstacles and their rewards. For example, when faced with a leopard, player can choose to lose an ammo and gain food or face losing health. The mentioned narrative here is not really written on the card, but with some imagination, players can relate the symbols on these cards and try to make up a story in their mind, if they wanted to. In my opinion, playing this way is more fun than just matching symbols.

Graphics on the cards are of a lovely comic book style. While they do take up space more than necessary, the large cards look great on the table. I would not say that this game is as good as Friday, but it seems to be worthy game that gives similar vibe. Its relative cheap price also helps!

thumbsup Lovely comic book style graphics.
thumbsup Tough choices every turn in the face of uncertainty. It's not only a choice of what card to put down but also how to manipulate the order of cards to the best effects.
thumbsup Large cards that look great on table.
thumbsup Just the right amount of gameplay for short 15-min solo sessions. A good niche to be in.

Dislikes
thumbsdown Game difficulty can be sometimes uneven because of the luck of card draw. Some games can be extremely hard but some strangely easy.
thumbsdown Sometimes the game is too short for solo play, if player is eager to "rush" the expedition to conclusion. I sometimes only managed to play to the second day of expedition before winning or losing

For more of my played game reviews: Chris Plays These Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Gentry
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khimming wrote:

thumbsdown Sometimes the game is too short for solo play, if player is eager to "rush" the expedition to conclusion. I sometimes only managed to play to the second day of expedition before winning or losing

It doesn't make thematic sense to "rush" the expedition. I'm picturing the explorers launching themselves into the jungle, machetes blazing, not stopping for anything. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.