Dranym Dranym
msg tools
In a 2 player firefight, if both players pass consecutively the round ends - that seems clear enough!

In a 3 player firefight, is it any two consecutive players to pass to end the round, or do they have to be from opposite teams? For example, if it was one German player against two Russian players, could both Russian players pass and therefore end the round, or would it have to be the German player then Russian player #1 (or Russian player #2 then the German player)?

How would this work in a 4 player firefight?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See chapter 20.0 of the rules. When all but 1 player pass consecutively, the round ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20.0 Three and Four Player Firefights

Some Firefights are designed for more than 2 players. Each
player has his own track sheet and force to command. Players
decide
at the beginning of the Firefight if turn order alternates
between sides (Ex: German 1, then Soviet 1, then German 2, then
Soviet 2) or if all players from one side simultaneously take their
turns (Ex: German 1 and 2, then Soviet 1 and 2).

Players roll for initiative individually at the beginning of a round
with the high roller or high roller side taking the first action(s).

Players may also decide to take turn order from highest to lowest
initiative roll.

When all but 1 player pass consecutively, the round ends.

Ex: Soviet 1 passes, German 1 takes an action, Soviet 2 passes,
German 2 passes. If Soviet 1 now passes, the round is over.
Cards, CAPs and units may not be traded between allies.

Victory conditions are awarded to the player that moves onto a
Control Marker first, etc. Players may decide at the beginning of
a Firefight to play for an individual win or a team win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dranym Dranym
msg tools
The 4 player example makes sense.
Just to clarify with a 3 player firefight: by the wording of the rules (using my example of a German player and two Russian players), the Russian players could pass consecutively without the German player being able to do anything to prevent the round from ending? This was the specific situation our group was confused with.
Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dranym wrote:
Just to clarify with a 3 player firefight: by the wording of the rules (using my example of a German player and two Russian players), the Russian players could pass consecutively without the German player being able to do anything to prevent the round from ending? This was the specific situation our group was confused with.
Thanks again!

So it seems. I guess this has created some problems in the FF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Dranym wrote:
Thanks again!

In a lot of the 3 player FFs it always alternates German and Russian turns which prevents the two Russians from passing consecutively. Was that not the case in this FF?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dranym Dranym
msg tools
Thanks for your replies.

The particular firefight this question came up in was FF5 - Red Ice. It has two Soviet Commanders and one German Commander. It's certainly possible I've misunderstood something, but taking the rules literally it does seem that the Soviet players can exploit that rule, making it a bit 'gamey' - especially if the Soviets have suffered heavy losses while the Germans have plenty of units, CAPS and cards. (Although if that was the case, I guess the Germans are most likely to win on Victory Points anyway!).

Has this come up for anyone else playing this FF?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording in this FF is that both Russian players play first then the German. Even though the rules say "When all but 1 player pass consecutively, the round ends," I would ignore that an assume its an error. Clearly the intent of that statement was to deal with the 4 player situation in which 2 consecutive turns by the same faction would cause a pass. Simply extend this "intent" to 3 player games and require that one player from each side pass consecutively and you'll solve the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dranym Dranym
msg tools
Thanks for that. That makes the most sense to me, and was what I was leaning toward - but as I was the German player, I didn't wish to appear to favour myself in my interpretation!
I appreciate the clear explanation.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my interpretation anyway. We'll have to see if Aiden or Uwe confirm this is the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
3 player firefights are pretty rare but the passing rules have created some confusion for them. We will be simplifying and clearing up the issue by always requiring that a player from each side must pass to end the Round. This is not how the rules are currently worded but we think the change will make things easier and clearer for everyone. This will be reflected in the next rules update and in future games.

Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simo Ahava
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gunter! That makes a lot of sense.

On a related note; have you considered maintaining a changelog of updates to the rules? It would make it easier to adapt and adopt. Also if there were a feed for us to subscribe to it would be double helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We rarely change rules but only reword them to make their original intent clearer. I will be highlighting rewording and rules changes in the rules pdfs that we put online. The index will also be highlighted where there is a change. As for a separate change log pdf, that is a good idea but something we have not implemented yet. I will work on doing this for the future but it would not be feasible for past rules iterations.
Gunter
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dranym Dranym
msg tools
Hi Gunter,
Thanks for clearing that up!
Cheers,
Dranym.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.