Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've read in two other places in the rules forums that "in the unlikely event that there are no more Event Tiles from which to draw, the scenario ends." And YES, it is possible to run out of Event Tiles before completing a scenario. I have all three expansions and the Battlefield expansion boards have effects that can move the marker back 2 spaces on the main activity line.

So here is my conundrum. We were playing a two player last night and TWO TIMES we were moved back on the main activity line. And yes, I understand that the scenario "ends" and then we would move on to the next scenario. The problem was that we were in Mordor, four spaces from Mt. Doom when we ran out of Event tiles.

Because Mordor is the last scenario board, there is no--"the scenario ends continue to the next scenario". So does this means we just lost the frikkin game?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a loss to me. The hobbits needed to move faster to destroy the ring before Sauron's powers intensified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving the marker back on the Main Activity Line shouldn't have anything at all to do with the Events Track so I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

The only thing that can cause the Event Draw pile to run out before a scenario ends is if you are using the alternate tiles from the Sauron expansion.

To answer your last question, you can only win one of two ways: By Destroying the Ring or by Military Victory when using the Friends and Foes expansion. If you didn't achieve either of these results then you lost and must try again.

Edit: and you're playing with all of the expansions? You're a madman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Moving the marker back on the Main Activity Line shouldn't have anything at all to do with the Events Track so I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

The only thing that can cause the Event Draw pile to run out before a scenario ends is if you are using the alternate tiles from the Sauron expansion.

To answer your last question, you can only win one of two ways: By Destroying the Ring or by Military Victory when using the Friends and Foes expansion. If you didn't achieve either of these results then you lost and must try again.

Oops, I said "Event Tiles" and I meant "Activity Tiles", so let me try again with more detail and draw a clear picture of the situation.

The marker on the Main Activity Line is four spaces away from Mt. Doom (specifically because of the Battlefield expansion board that had moved the marker on the Main Activity Line back twice because of that board's effects. In all, the Main Activity Line had been moved back a total of four spaces due to this unfortunate circumstance). Now, it is time for Sam to take his turn. The player goes to flip an Activity Tile only to find that there are no more Activity Tiles to flip over. Normally this would "cause the scenario to end and then continue to the next scenario", but there is no "next scenario" because Mordor is is the last scenario.

So the question is, "Do we reshuffle the Activity Tiles" or does the game end with a Fellowship loss?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot find a reference to what to do in this situation, but I would certainly consider it a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
robertg611 wrote:

Oops, I said "Event Tiles" and I meant "Activity Tiles", so let me try again with more detail and draw a clear picture of the situation.

The marker on the Main Activity Line is four spaces away from Mt. Doom (specifically because of the Battlefield expansion board that had moved the marker on the Main Activity Line back twice because of that board's effects. In all, the Main Activity Line had been moved back a total of four spaces due to this unfortunate circumstance). Now, it is time for Sam to take his turn. The player goes to flip an Activity Tile only to find that there are no more Activity Tiles to flip over. Normally this would "cause the scenario to end and then continue to the next scenario", but there is no "next scenario" because Mordor is is the last scenario.

So the question is, "Do we reshuffle the Activity Tiles" or does the game end with a Fellowship loss?"

I still don't understand what you're doing. There are no Activity Tiles, only Event tiles.

NOTHING that happens on any Battlefield will effect the Event Tiles or Event Track.

If you are only playing with the standard Event Tiles (23 in base game plus 4 in Sauron expansion), there is absolutely no way to run out of Event Tiles before reaching the 6th Event. It just can't happen.

Are you using the Dark Event tiles? It would really help me understand your situation if you would answer that.

If you are using the Dark Event Tiles, then you would have to go through all 50 Tiles before reaching the 6th Event, which is extremely unlikely as nearly 20 of them are Events.

Edit: rereading this in a different light I seem to be unusually angry and I'm not I want to help, I'm just not sure what's going on. I don't think the situation you've described can actually happen in a game and I'd like to find out where things went wrong for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
robertg611 wrote:

I still don't understand what you're doing. There are no Activity Tiles, only Event tiles.

NOTHING that happens on any Battlefield will effect the Event Tiles or Event Track.

If you are only playing with the standard Event Tiles (23 in base game plus 4 in Sauron expansion), there is absolutely no way to run out of Event Tiles before reaching the 6th Event. It just can't happen.

Are you using the Dark Event tiles? It would really help me understand your situation if you would answer that.

If you are using the Dark Event Tiles, then you would have to go through all 50 Tiles before reaching the 6th Event, which is extremely unlikely as nearly 20 of them are Events.

Edit: rereading this in a different light I seem to be unusually angry and I'm not I want to help, I'm just not sure what's going on. I don't think the situation you've described can actually happen in a game and I'd like to find out where things went wrong for you.

There are three expansions: Friends & Foes, Sauron, and Battlefields. In the Battlefields expansion there are side boards that sit next to the main board depending on which scenario board the Fellowship is on. These side boards represent battles that are happening while the Fellowship is trying to complete their quest. These side battle boards also contain enemy pieces that move around only on the battle board. There is a side battle board in the Battlefields expansion for Mordor. Also, there is a space on the Mordor side battle board, that if one of the enemy markers moves ON TO THAT SPACE it will move the marker on the main Activity Line of the Mordor scenario board back 2 spaces. It's an undesirable game effect that unfortunately happened two times, resulting in moving the marker on the main Activity line of the Mordor scenario board, backwards 4 spaces.

So yes, if you have the Battlefield expansion, pull it out and look at the battle board for Mordor. There is a space that does in fact affect the main Activity line of the scenario board.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I played the game and couldn't remember if the tiles were referred to as Activity Tiles or Event Tiles.

Also, I think I answered my own question. I play with a house-rule when I play with the Sauron expansion that only puts the four red Sauron tiles in with the other tiles. So yes, if I had added further Sauron tiles to the Fellowship tiles I would have indeed had more tiles to draw. However, it still doesn't solve the problem.

If I were only playing the game with the Battle fields expansion, I would still potentially face the problem of running out of "Event Tiles" to flip if I suffered the result on the Mordor battle board that moves the marker on the main Activity line backwards. Another question I should ask you is, do you own the Battle fields expansion pack or have you seen the Mordor battle board that I'm referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a picture of the side board for Mordor from the Battlefields expansion. It is the Battle for the Black Gate board. The little yellow triangles with the 2 inside them will move the marker on the main activity line backwards two spaces when an enemy token moves on to that space.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/192313/lord-rings-battlefiel...

Because of that happening twice, it kept the Fellowship four spaces from Mt. Doom. Unfortunately, there were no more tiles to flip. I'm just going to count it as a loss for the Fellowship if that happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I don't know any of the expansions, but how are you avoinding getting to the last event of the Mordor map? I have the silverline edition, but the number of event tiles should be exactly the same - and there are 6 tiles, which takes you to the next event. So if there are no more event tiles to draw, you should have reached the last event on the Mordor map - and then you have lost.

Or are some of those 6 tiles removed in the expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've answered my own question. Thank you all for your helpful replies. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm wondering if in fact you're confusing event tiles with trigger tiles?

Event tiles are the square ones in the base game; you draw one at the start of every turn. The four red Sauron tiles are event tiles. They have nothing to do with the main activity line. If they run out, the scenario ends (and is a failure, if that matters).

Trigger tiles are the oblong ones from the Battlefields expansion. They're placed alongside the main activity line and the events, and are collected as you go along that activity line or as the events occur.

When using Battlefields, if you're moved back on the main activity line, you could have a turn where you advance on that line but don't collect any trigger tiles (because they were already collected before you got moved back). Not being able to collect them on your turn because of this just means you don't collect them: it has no other effect.

Hopefully that helps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing just base + Battlefields (or even throw in F&F, not Sauron), you have no means to avoid the 6th Event on the Mordor Scenario board which is GG, Sauron wins.

Dark Event tiles from Sauron expansion allow you to reject a draw and redraw, which in theory could see you be able to avoid getting 6 Events (draw Sundial, reject, redraw for non-Sundial, resolve, draw Sundial, reject, redraw non-Sundial, etc.). I think reaching an empty bag situation, I'd probably refill the bag if it happened on the Mordor board. Although can't help but feel like given that all 23 Dark Event tiles are only bad (in addition to having 11 bad, 12 good in the base Event tiles, plus 4 bad Sauron Event tiles), something would've given way (probably too much Corruption for the hobbits to handle) and ended the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.