Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don was Austria Hungary, I was Russia, Craig was Germany, Trevor was France and Jean was the UK. Don plays the Royal Hungarian Humved and builds into Tyrol. I play Russia Mobilizes building into Ukraine and Poland. Craig plays Landsturm, building an army into Prussia. Trevor plays France Mobilizes with an army in Picardy and fleet in the North Atlantic, while Jean builds a navy in the English Channel.

Don builds into the Italian Alps, I build into Galacia, Craig plays Triple Trench Lines, Trevor builds into Rome, Jean builds into Belgium (after I recommended that he do that, since Craig did not); Jean would tell me after the game that this threw him off his game as he wanted to do other things. I believe the Belgium build is good here, as it delays Germany.

On the third turn, Don builds into Istanbul, I build a fleet in the Black Sea, Craig plays the status card Easter Rising in Ireland, Trevor puts an objective token in Burgundy, Jean plays Sinking of Luistania.

After first scoring round it is Central 9, Entente 10.

Germany has taken a defensive posture. I don’t think it is Russia’s job to attack into Triple Trench Lines by them selves, so I eventually get into Azerbaijan and Romania. Don eliminates my fleet in the Black Sea.

At the second scoring it is Entente 22, Central 18; it looks like an Entente victory now.

Craig does use A Place in the Sun to take back Belgium from Britain.
But Craig gets down Mustard Gas and Red Baron and eventually sets his sights on Russia. I would be losing two cards a turn when I get attacked, and I can’t hold out forever. So I am hoping the rest of the Entente can get their act together. Jean is attacking and gets to build in Istanbul, but Don plays I order you die, freeing it up again.

Third scoring is now Entente 33- Central 30.

But with no pressure from attrition or attacks, Craig steamrolls me out of Poland and Galacia. I am waiting to use Peace Land and Bread as I am out of cards now.

In the fourth scoring the tide has turned, Central 44- Entente 41.

I use Peace Land and Bread for 4 VPs, but it is not enough. The final score is Central 61- Entente 51

Germany successfully goes east with Red Baron and Mustard Gas.

Once Germany got rolling against Russia, it was too hard to stop. I had heard when I was on vacation, this was the method last week used by Germany to propel the Central powers to a 2-0 record.

Game 2: Trevor was Austria Hungary, Don was Russia, I was Germany, Jean was France, Craig was UK. Trevor plays Franz Ferdinand Avenged, discarding a sea battle in the process. Don builds in Ukraine, I play a card allowing me to get Strosstroppen, allowing me to attack into Burgundy while building in Belgium. Jean builds into Picardy. Craig uses economic warfare on me (after a mulligan).

I get into Burgundy, and get down Mustard Gas. Craig gets rid of that status card and does more economic warfare on me; I should have thrown out a build army and land battle out of my hand, but thinking I needed it (and also holding Schlieffen plan and other useful event cards), I blind draw out of my deck losing A Place in the Sun and the status card that gives 2 VP if you have the North Sea. So I made a mistake in the discard, which I regret.

First round scoring is Entente 9, Central 8

Now the English Channel is open, so I build into the English Channel and I can threaten Britain. Trevor builds into Prussia to protect me from Don (which Don can eventually bypass later by building a fleet into the Baltic). So now Craig is forced to draft a build army card 4 times in a row, while I land battle into Britain 4 times in a row, but having to throw a card in the process because of difficult terrain from the sea. My deck is thin, but things do look grim for Entente due to the Britain situation.

Second round scoring is 18-18.

Trevor has knocked Italy out of Rome (when I had attacked into the Alps before I went into the Britain adventure), but Don had built into the Black Sea threatening Istanbul. Trevor chooses to build into Rome and lose Istanbul; this was something he regretted, but I didn’t know his cards in his hand when he made that decision. Don would later examine his hand using a card and throw out the eliminate the Black Sea fleet.

Britain is on the brink, but the scoring is Entente 28-Central 27.

Britain now falls, and Craig wants to concede, but Don advises him to get the Americans to take back Britain. Jean builds a fleet into the Atlantic to help that. One sea battle into the English Channel is thwarted by a sea defence.

Now it is Central 37-Entente 38.

But I run out of steam, after attacks by the Americans into Britain, French attack into Belgium, and a Russia land battle into Berlin, the last one knocking me out. On turn 16, I have no more build armies, and Trevor can’t build army into Berlin either, and we resign, as Don can build into Berlin, and he still has Peace Land and Bread for 5 VPs coming.

Germany has spent all their cards taking over Britain, which ultimately costs the game.

It was tough to swallow with that loss; but A Place in the Sun would have solved a lot of problems. That was my mistake in allowing it to be thrown from the deck. Trevor also regrets giving up Istanbul over Rome. So there was lots to learn from this game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Galicia not Galacia - a common mistake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool that Germany went to UK, I have only dreamed to see that being tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all my games I never saw Germany actually take Britain! Amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took Britain with Germans once and for a short time. I think it was primarily due to the UK/USA player's mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.