7 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: When everyone dies : full party wipe procedure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
msg tools
Hi all,

In a 2 player game the other day, we both died during the first mobs attack turn.

What we decided to do was:

1) finish the enemy phase -- have the remaining groups do their move action, walking towards the dungeon start.
2) skip the experience phase -- Since we are dead.
3) play the event phase -- draw an event card.
4) start the next player phase -- resurrect both players via lifebringer tokens. Start our activations, attack/move etc.

Is that the correct procedure for a full party wipe?
Do we have to resart the begining of the dungeon?
Do we forfeit our player phase, using it to ressurect, and go straight to enemy phase?

Thanks!
Poly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your procedure seems to be the correct one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The King of Average
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm unsure about the experience phase being skipped. I don't recall that ever being mentioned in the rulebook and while I can see it being thematically correct, one could also argue that they are brought back to life with their new skill just as easily.

In my gaming sessions I don't mind doing the experience phase with a downed player. Could go either way (house rule).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
Ok thanks! -- it does seem a little unbalanced because we had all our first attacks, died before more than 1/2 the enemies could even attack, then get to come back to life and get our full turns to attack, killing them all before their attack turn.

Perhaps it feels that way because with only 2 players, you can wipe and use both lifebringer tokens to restore the full party. Coupled with using 2 range dps classes, you do die fast, but your attack turn is very dominant.

But i suppose resurrection has an unbalanced feeling always, because coming back to life IS a little unfair for the enemies... haha

Really liking this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
@Sefris yes its a bit of a judgement call i guess. Personally, I like not letting them spend exp as a small penalty (and on theme like you mentioned) but I would draw the line at having downed players miss out on gaining exp points for enemies killed while they are down, that seems too much of a penalty.

Maybe as we get better at the game, that is a another way to up the difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, experience can neither be spent nor gained due to the following rule:

Rules p18 wrote:
• Until he is Resurrected, a Hero is ignored for all game effects.
He cannot be interacted with in any way, except that other Heroes
can Trade with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
Ahh i see, thank you clipper!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.