vince Garner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
5.4 Fleet placement. Is it intended that fleets can never be placed if the enemy is "blockading" your home sea space?

5.8 Disruption. I assume the reference to defending units being disrupted when retreating is a holdover from a previous rule version. Is there ever a retreat from combat for the attacker or defender?

5.7 Types of AAP actions. Considering 1 and 2 are different action choices does this mean that a force must start it's move adjacent to an enemy controlled area to be able to enter/attack?

At sea an area is only controlled when occupied. In a strict sense if the above answer is that number one AAP can only be performed in friendly areas and number two can only be performed when starting adjacent to enemy areas this would mean that neutral areas could never be entered. Should I assume at least at sea that movement is only halted by enemy units?

5.11 Nuclear Winter clarification. I assume a roll is only made on turns when a detonation occurs, other requirements being met?

I assume a detonation on a canal destroys the canal?

To use the Suez canal must I control both adjacent land areas?

Is there a land bridge between Western Europe and North Africa?

Most importantly, is there a land bridge between Japan and Siberia? Obviously the game is quite difficult for the Japanese if not.

In combat when multiple units face one unit who picks which unit fights? The attacker, the defender, the player with the most units?

10.7 Elite units. The German panzer already gets one modifier on attack for being a tank and gets one more for being elite. This means a total benefit of 1 for being elite. The Japanese fleet gets one on attack and one on defense, thus getting twice the modifiers for being elite. Is this intended?

Play note. On our third play we had sea movement only halted by enemy units, land movement starting adjacent to enemy areas to enter enemy areas, a land bridge for Japan, the ability to build fleets in occupied home oceans by conducting a battle with the home player being the attacker and nuclear winter checks only done on turns with a nuclear attack. This seemed to reduce some gamey situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty Bomba
United States
California
flag msg tools
5.4 Fleet placement. Is it intended that fleets can never be placed if the enemy is "blockading" your home sea space?

In your question, you have the word “blockading” in quotation marks, while it doesn't appear anywhere in the rule book. In general, you should try to understand game rules using the vocabulary used in them. If you insist on substituting your own terminology, you can easily become confused as to what’s actually in the rules and what you’re imagining is in them.

More specifically, in regard to this question, I believe what you’re asking is clearly and unequivocally explained in the last sentence of the second paragraph of that rule: “Also note that, in regard to fleet placement, if your opponent controls your fleet entry ocean area, you’re thereby prohibited from placing any new fleets onto the map."

5.8 Disruption. I assume the reference to defending units being disrupted when retreating is a holdover from a previous rule version. Is there ever a retreat from combat for the attacker or defender?

In rule 5.8 delete the sentence that begins with the word “Further” and ends with the word “disrupted.” That stricture is an artifact from an earlier combat procedure that was discarded during playtesting.

5.7 Types of AAP actions. Considering 1 and 2 are different action choices does this mean that a force must start it's move adjacent to an enemy controlled area to be able to enter/attack?

No, the differentiation in that listing is simply meant to point up that not all moves need end in a combat situation.

At sea an area is only controlled when occupied. In a strict sense if the above answer is that number one AAP can only be performed in friendly areas and number two can only be performed when starting adjacent to enemy areas this would mean that neutral areas could never be entered. Should I assume at least at sea that movement is only halted by enemy units?

Again, you use a term here – this time “neutral” – which doesn’t appear in the rules, is unnecessary and is potentially obfuscating in regard to your question. As to that question, please read the first sentence of rule 9.2: “An army of fleet unit or stack move consists of you openly selecting one of your side’s forces in any one area on the map and then moving it into and through potentially any number of adjacent friendly controlled areas to your desired final location for it.”

As to when moving fleets or armies must stop prior to reaching “your desired final location for it,” see the first sentences of rules 9.4 and 9.8, respectively.

5.11 Nuclear Winter clarification. I assume a roll is only made on turns when a detonation occurs, other requirements being met?

Once the total number of detonations has gone above 12, a check is made every turn on the basis of that count, no matter if any new detonations took place that turn.

I assume a detonation on a canal destroys the canal?

Correct.

To use the Suez canal must I control both adjacent land areas?

Yes.

Is there a land bridge between Western Europe and North Africa?

No.

Most importantly, is there a land bridge between Japan and Siberia?

No.

Obviously the game is quite difficult for the Japanese if not.

Just as World War II became “quite difficult” for the Japanese once they were unable to keep Allied fleets out of the waters off their home islands, so does that same strategic imperative arise here.

In combat when multiple units face one unit who picks which unit fights? The attacker, the defender, the player with the most units?

Please see rule 10.4 and the second paragraph of rule 10.6. Everybody fights.

10.7 Elite units. The German panzer already gets one modifier on attack for being a tank and gets one more for being elite. This means a total benefit of 1 for being elite. The Japanese fleet gets one on attack and one on defense, thus getting twice the modifiers for being elite. Is this intended?

Yes.

Play note. On our third play we had sea movement only halted by enemy units. . .

That is correct.

land movement starting adjacent to enemy areas to enter enemy areas. . .

That is incorrect; armies need not start their move adjacent to enemy occupied land areas in order to be able to move into them.

a land bridge for Japan. . .

There is no land bridge for Japan. Keep the Kriegsmarine out of the Western Pacific and make full use of rule 9.7.

the ability to build fleets in occupied home oceans by conducting a battle with the home player being the attacker. . .

That is incorrect. We’re dealing here with a global game on a planet that is 70 percent water. Therefore, despite most players’ bias toward giving priority to land operations in mixed-environment games, the denial of access to your opponent to crucial ocean areas, while at the same time securing your own access to them, is of paramount importance.

and nuclear winter checks only done on turns with a nuclear attack. . .

The idea is, once a certain amount of environmental damage has been done, those effects are potentially cascading as they spread across the global atmospheric- and eco-systems. In the purely strategic sense, that effect is also meant to inhibit you from planning on waging a long nuclear war for a myriad of other socio-political factors for which I didn’t want to have to write pages of additional rules.

This seemed to reduce some gamey situations.

I didn’t write the rules with the idea of inhibiting or supporting some imagined level of “gaminess.” The rules are meant to provide a grand strategic simulation of army, air force and fleet-level global combat at late-1940s technology levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
That escalated quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Fogg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Useful discussion.

Watching Man in the High Castle has got me fired up to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.