mbmbmbmbmb
QUIRK

A Review by

MAWIHTEC

2-6 Players
15-30 minutes
7+

What is Quirk?
When you were young do you remember playing a game with your grandparents or parents called “Go Fish”? If so then you will feel right at home with Quirk. It is a reimagined and updated take on this “give me your ***’s” mechanic. You can steal completed sets from other players, defend yourself and even affect the turn order.

What is in my Box?
Quirk packs a lot of fun into a small box. Inside you will find,
1 Rule-sheet
7 Tactics Cards
3 Defence Cards
7 Skip Cards
39 Character Cards in 13 sets of 3)

So a card game then?
Let me state this straight away. If you are not the sort of person to enjoy trumpeting like an Elephant or pretending to be a mime in front of everyone else? Then stop reading, Quirk is not for you. Go on, go. OK that's better now the boring ones have left. Quirk is much more than “just” a card game. It is a game that will have you laughing out loud. Especially when a player scream out in their best Parrot impression “Polly want a cracker!”

How does it work?
A game of Quirk is all about set collection “Quirks”. It begins with all players being dealt 3 cards. The first player decides which Quirk they want to try to complete from their hand and chooses an opponent. Depending on the Quirk character they are trying to collect they are not allowed to say “Tom. Give me your dogs” Oh no that would be no fun at all. The cards have a symbol at the bottom showing that the Quirk is identified by Sound, Action or Both. Looking at their target they must then Identify the Quirk they want purely using the Sound (e.g. a dog bark for dog’s), Action (e.g. Miming being a Mime) or Both (e.g. pretending to be a drummer for musician). Their target opponent will then respond either by handing over all of that type or saying “Quirk” if they have none. You then are forced to draw a card. Once a player gets a complete set of 3 Character Cards they put them face up in front of them on their turn. At the end of the game the player with the most Quirks wins.

Sounds simple?
At first Quirk comes across as a very simple game. But once your Quirks are on the table. They are fair game to be stolen. By using a red Tactic Card instead of asking for a Quirk a player may steal a face up Quirk set. Fortunately there are a few Defence Cards to give you a chance to defend if you are lucky enough to have picked one up. If you have a blue Skip Card in your hand after playing a Tactic Card or asking for a Quirk. You can now use it to cause a player to miss their turn.

Strategy.
Quirk is not a heavy strategy game. To be honest it is not a light strategy game for that matter. Deciding when to use a Tactic or Skip Card is as tactical as it gets. Instead Quirk is all about having some fun and being a bit silly. This is something it achieves with great ease and aplomb. 7 Year old Billy, 30 Year old Mum or 80 Year old Grandma all have the same chance of winning. There is a lot of luck involved in what cards you draw when you have been Quirked or when picking who to ask for a Quirk. Be prepared to Cluck madly at someone without success looking for Chickens. Only for the next player to cluck back at you and steal yours. But that is OK Quirk is a fast fun game to play and you can quickly get one game after another played.

Who is it for.

Quirk is squarely aimed at the family market with one hand held affectionately out towards the younger players. Everyone under the age of 12 I have shown it to has loved it instantly. That is not its only appeal though. If you are have some friends over for a drinks party? Then break out Quirk once everyone is relaxed (drinking) it will get you all screaming with laughter. As for gaming groups? I can see the appeal for some but I do not really see this being a regular in our gaming group (they are far too busy killing Zombies or Hunting Hitler).

My thoughts.
I really like Quirk for family play. It is a lot of fun. It is a very quick game that does not outstay its welcome. There is almost zero downtime. My family have taken to responding to the Quirk requests in character which really adds to the fun. Just imagine sitting their as Aunty Mildred does her best “vogue” look trying to collect supermodels only for 7 year old Billy to respond in a husky voice “Quirk it Baby!” Or you do your best Marcel Marceau only for your target to mime the drawing of a card back at you. This adds to the enjoyment throughout the game. We recently took Quirk on holiday with us and played approximately 30 games over 4 days. While we did enjoy it. We quickly decided that we would love there to be more Character cards as the 13 sets available started to feel a little “tired” I would personally like to see 5-6 more sets that could be rotated in and out to add variety. Possibly an expansion idea (author note: must practice Cthulhu actions). The other thing that was noticeable in 2-4 player games was that there was definitely an “optimum strategy” over the use of the Tactic Cards. This was something that the adults picked up on. But was less obvious for the younger players. I don’t see it being an issue when playing with groups of younger players.

The Good
Cards are nice quality.
Portable, small size.
Fun by the bucket load.
You can pretend to be a Pirate.
100% Family Friendly.
Tactics and Skip cards stop runaway leader.
Nice artwork.
Clear icons.
Did I mention you can “Aargh” like a Pirate.

The Bad
Can become a little repetitive.
Optimum strategy for Tactic Cards.
You have to be silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.