Hide
9 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » General

Subject: Foamcore Organizer Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I made a foamcore storage setup for Spirit Island. I wanted the base game, expansion, and promos to fit logically in the base game box without needing anything extra, with the cards sleeved, and without anything too inconvenient. This is a very tight fit by volume, and most solutions that I have seen have problems in one or more areas that I prefer avoid. In particular, I didn't want a huge row of undifferentiated cards or to use the expansion box to fit everything.

I ended up with this arrangement.

It is easy to access everything and the parts are grouped in a way that makes sense.

There are 3 removable trays, grouped by function:
- The setup tray has blight/fear tokens and cards, events, and the invader deck. It can be used at the beginning of the game and set aside until cleanup (or you need blight tokens). The invader board and extender fit over the top of this tray (the dividers are cut to hold them securely).
(224 x 171 x 40mm, with notches to remove cards more easily.)

- The board tray has the pieces for the board: invaders, dahan, and expansion tokens.
(282 x 129 x 29mm)

- The spirit/growth tray has energy and the power cards, including the expansion (not pictured).
(281 x 110 x 40mm, with cutouts and an extra piece of foamcore across the middle of each compartment to make removal easier.)

There's an additional compartment for the starting powers and reference cards (a 51 x 151 mm with a 51 wide x 106 x 69 tall (total) mm card slot on it), space for player tokens, and the stack of spirit boards and adversary/scenario cards.

I would have preferred to have lined the whole box with foam core at the start, but there isn't enough room. I would also have liked a better solution for the adversary/scenario cards (I'll probably make a cardstock sleeve to hold them), but they're big and skinny, so a thick solution seems unnecessary and would use space unnecessarily. Using 3mm foam core (instead of 5mm) may have been better for a bit more space in different places, but overall it's fine. Most of the details can be inferred from the pictures, but the top layers of trays are 40mm total and the bottom board tray is 29 (also the approximate thickness of 12 spirit boards, adversary, and scenario cards).

Overall, this does what I want. In fact, if you're looking to make a Spirit Island insert, I would recommend exactly this pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plans? Dimensions? Such things would be helpful to those not of the cult of foam core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I edited to add dimensions for each major tray. The interior cuts depend a bit on preference (like how much you want symmetry), sleeve dimensions, and peculiarities of plans. But that should be enough to make something very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lowe
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great job!

I'm trying to do a foam core right now, but I'm struggling a bit with fitting the island boards in without taking up too much space. They're so irregular shaped. Are you just laying them on top? I don't want them to flop around because I store vertically.

I think I also messed up in terms of the two boards (invader board and extension). They're not the same size as anything else in the game... so I find I'm wasting a lot of space because of it.

I also made the mistake of lining the entire box with foam like I normally do, which I see you do not recommend... I think I ran out of space because of this :p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schlepphorst
msg tools
I am just laying them on top, with the instructions. I actually made a 5th board too, but I leave it out. The box allllmost closes.

Yea, possibly 3mm or thinner stuff (chipboard?) could line/fit, but I don’t think very well. I cut them originally, then repurposed them eventually. I spent a long time figuring out which parts should be logically grouped and how, and the raw volume dimensions are extremely restrictive, especially given my desire to not have sardine cities or a single row of cards. The power card stacks, spirit boards, and fear/event cards all have a certain comfort-minimum thickness, and this was the only config that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Visser
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I replicated this pattern with great success. Thanks for posting it! Ever since I decided to add in the expansion materials I've been looking for a way to fit it all in the same box.

I think I lost a few millimeters here and there and have resorted to keeping the two rulebooks out of the box. It's a tight fit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korsberg
United States
University Heights
OH
flag msg tools
mb
Definitely going to make this, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I'm making this at the moment, and I have MaxCut plans for all of the panels necessary. I'll upload them after I finish, along with labelled images (so you can see which panels correspond to which parts of the insert in the images).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grace
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Subscribing to this, considering I've gotten more play from this game in the week I've owned it than I have in the last several months for the one game I've actually made an insert for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.