Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quest lvl vs Current lvl in Story Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a few threads but it still doesn't make too much sense for me how it works.

Let's assume the following:

2 players game with 2 heroes: Starting quest 4 with a level 4 Hero (highest skill learned) puts the starting Quest level at 4. Pretty straight forward.

Now in the rules it says that after that you start with the current level using the normal rules. But honestly it doesn't make any sense to start from the current level, downgrading from level 4. Why would the quest "start" at level 4 if it actually starts at 1 and you can't use level 4 equipment and start spawning level 1 monsters.

We've been playing like this: We use the level of the highest hero for equipment and spawn the corresponding level monsters, 4 in the example below in the current level on which we are + / - 1 in the event phase, depending on the event.

Is it right? At least, this makes more sense.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me a while to understand it but what I think happens is this:

When you start a quest with a level 4 hero, you set up the board as described in the quest description. But then, you turn the level 4 marker to active and the level 1 marker to black. What this means is that all the spawns are now level 4 until a hero gets to a level 5 area.

The treasures on the level 1 tile are still level 1 not level 4. Its as if you had a hero suddenly go to level 4 and then return.

The only other thing you need to change is that when an event refers to the "current level" for placement, it is not the active spawn level, but the highest actual level tile that a hero has actually been to.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically it's how I understood it, except that you also draw treasures of the current level tile instead of current quest level? Wouldn't that mean that you need to spawn level 1 monsters as well?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it works just like it would if you moved to level 2 in non-story mode and then opened a door in level 1. You spawn based on quest level, but get treasure based on location. Taking a normal treasure gets you a treasure of the same level as the level token on the tile.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant sections in the manual are Spawn on page 26 and Pick Up on page 27. They mention current level for spawn and level of token present on tile for pick up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I see your point. So basically this would get you lower treasure cards instead of always current level treasure cards, like I was playing until now.

So I was playing it wrong. Quest level is for spawning monsters along with their treasure cards, but you instead draw treasures when opening a door based on the current tile level.

Is it right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donavin Northrup
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yep, that is correct. A treasure chest is -always- treasure of the tile it's on, regardless of quest level.

Mobs spawn with the current level items.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm having trouble understanding is the Character Level vs. Quest Level vs. Equipment Level interaction.

I'm playing Story Mode. Let me describe a scenario and see what y'all say.

I run the Introduction Quest and I come out of it with a Level 1 skill and a Level 2 suit of armor.

When I begin the next quest, it's level 1, so do I forget how to use the Level 2 Armor until I move to the Level 2 tile of the new quest?

With the restriction of only being able to keep 6 pieces of equipment between quests, that's pretty rough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipChuck wrote:
What I'm having trouble understanding is the Character Level vs. Quest Level vs. Equipment Level interaction.

I'm playing Story Mode. Let me describe a scenario and see what y'all say.

I run the Introduction Quest and I come out of it with a Level 1 skill and a Level 2 suit of armor.

When I begin the next quest, it's level 1, so do I forget how to use the Level 2 Armor until I move to the Level 2 tile of the new quest?

With the restriction of only being able to keep 6 pieces of equipment between quests, that's pretty rough.


Yes, you would be unable to equip that armor until you reached the level 2 tile. Because the armor is magic or something and you're not worthy until you go deep in the dungeon, I suppose. Honestly, you can make up whatever lore you're comfortable with here.

In Story Mode only: Current Quest Level dictates what level equipment you can wear and skills you can use. Character level and current quest level are linked at the start of the quest, with the current quest level equaling the highest level character. Once the quest starts, your character level is irrelevant, as you only care about the current quest level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But in case you have a level 3 skill and your quest starts at level 3 and you also have a level 3 armor for example, you can wear that armor right from the start, right?

Only if you have a level 4 you won't be able to use it until you reach the level 4 tile?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raul
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. This was a very productive quest. Basically I was playing it wrong in the sense that I've been also taking treasures based on the quest level. It seemed a bit odd to me that when reaching quest 5 I already went through the level 5 treasure deck.

Oh well, looks like I need to start the campaign over as the heroes are quite over powered now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rault wrote:
Thanks. This was a very productive quest. Basically I was playing it wrong in the sense that I've been also taking treasures based on the quest level. It seemed a bit odd to me that when reaching quest 5 I already went through the level 5 treasure deck.

Oh well, looks like I need to start the campaign over as the heroes are quite over powered now.


See that's where I was confused, because after the Introduction quest in Story mode, I hadn't yet acquired enough XP to even gain a level 1 skill, however I had acquired Level 2 Armor and Weapon from chests picked up in tile 2. In fact, one chest spawned a level 3 treasure (armor). Being that I can only keep 6 items between quests in story mode, I was forced to discard my level 3 armor, because otherwise, I would be armorless for the first 2 tiles of the next quest.

Is that right? That's really the only peeve I have with the game. I really enjoy it otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipChuck wrote:
See that's where I was confused, because after the Introduction quest in Story mode, I hadn't yet acquired enough XP to even gain a level 1 skill, however I had acquired Level 2 Armor and Weapon from chests picked up in tile 2. In fact, one chest spawned a level 3 treasure (armor). Being that I can only keep 6 items between quests in story mode, I was forced to discard my level 3 armor, because otherwise, I would be armorless for the first 2 tiles of the next quest.

Is that right? That's really the only peeve I have with the game. I really enjoy it otherwise.


It's correct, but I think you may have missed when you need to discard down to 6 card. You don't discard down to 6 until after the town market phase and there's a few things you could do with that level 3 treasure in town. You could turn it into XP = Treasure level/2 (not micro, full XP) or trade it for up to two level 1 cards. Only after going to market (see page 39) do you need to discard down to 6. Even if you keep it, you could still bring 5 other cards worth of equipment to tie you over until the third tile which ought to be plenty. You aren't limited to 1 card of each type, you could bring a level 1 and the level 3 armor into a quest and equip them when appropriate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not forced to discard your level 3 armor - you can keep a level 1. Or exchange something else for a level 1. You can only equip 3 things but you get to keep 6. Now you probably would like to keep a lot more, but those are the breaks. You have to choose which things you really want to keep vs what you need to start out on the next adventure.

Eventually you will level up and be able to start with better gear, but while the monsters will scale up, the loot will remain poor until you get deeper into the dungeon.

Even with the 6 item limit and the level restrictions, you will probably find that your adventurers become overpowered quite quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
ChipChuck wrote:
See that's where I was confused, because after the Introduction quest in Story mode, I hadn't yet acquired enough XP to even gain a level 1 skill, however I had acquired Level 2 Armor and Weapon from chests picked up in tile 2. In fact, one chest spawned a level 3 treasure (armor). Being that I can only keep 6 items between quests in story mode, I was forced to discard my level 3 armor, because otherwise, I would be armorless for the first 2 tiles of the next quest.

Is that right? That's really the only peeve I have with the game. I really enjoy it otherwise.


It's correct, but I think you may have missed when you need to discard down to 6 card. You don't discard down to 6 until after the town market phase and there's a few things you could do with that level 3 treasure in town. You could turn it into XP = Treasure level/2 (not micro, full XP) or trade it for up to two level 1 cards. Only after going to market (see page 39) do you need to discard down to 6. Even if you keep it, you could still bring 5 other cards worth of equipment to tie you over until the third tile which ought to be plenty. You aren't limited to 1 card of each type, you could bring a level 1 and the level 3 armor into a quest and equip them when appropriate.


Oh yeah! I forgot that extra loot can be traded for XP.

Is that Level/2 calculated ONLY per single piece? In other words, can you trade (2) Level 1 loots for (1) XP?

That helps lessen the sting of having to dump loot before leaving town.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
tal342 wrote:
The relevant sections in the manual are Spawn on page 26 and Pick Up on page 27. They mention current level for spawn and level of token present on tile for pick up.


This "current level" description is not consistently written in the rules though and can get confusing. I believe that is why people have a problem.

Treasure chests say "Treasure card of the same Level as the Level token present on the tile where the Treasure token was collected." - Very straight forward.

Now spawns and ambushes from Door cards rules state, "Spawn. Spawn a Guard card of the Current Level in this Zone." - Okay this specifically says current level in "this zone."

Then under enemy roles (p23) - It states for the monsters, " ... its Level always matches the game’s Current Level." and on the level rules page 16 it states, "Guards (P. 23). Guards (Mobs or Agents) are always spawned at the Current Level." - Here they say "Game's Current Level," which is what the story mode often refers to it as. "Game's/Quest's current level."

Why does the door spawn even mention "zone's current level," if everywhere else they talk about "game's current level." Is there anywhere this difference in description would matter? Or did they just add superfluous text and should have just stuck with "game's current level?'

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipChuck wrote:
Oh yeah! I forgot that extra loot can be traded for XP.

Is that Level/2 calculated ONLY per single piece? In other words, can you trade (2) Level 1 loots for (1) XP?

That helps lessen the sting of having to dump loot before leaving town.


According to the rules, you can do each type of trade once per hero, so you can't combine multiple items to get more XP. Basically, you want to trade in the highest level card you don't plan on bringing with you for XP, as you can only do it once per hero per town phase. Also, it's Level/2 rounded up, so level 1 and 2 treasures give 1 XP, level 3 and 4 give 2 XP, and level 5 gives 3 XP.

Quagmire109 wrote:
This "current level" description is not consistently written in the rules though and can get confusing. I believe that is why people have a problem.

Treasure chests say "Treasure card of the same Level as the Level token present on the tile where the Treasure token was collected." - Very straight forward.

Now spawns and ambushes from Door cards rules state, "Spawn. Spawn a Guard card of the Current Level in this Zone." - Okay this specifically says current level in "this zone."

Then under enemy roles (p23) - It states for the monsters, " ... its Level always matches the game’s Current Level." and on the level rules page 16 it states, "Guards (P. 23). Guards (Mobs or Agents) are always spawned at the Current Level." - Here they say "Game's Current Level," which is what the story mode often refers to it as. "Game's/Quest's current level."

Why does the door spawn even mention "zone's current level," if everywhere else they talk about "game's current level." Is there anywhere this difference in description would matter? Or did they just add superfluous text and should have just stuck with "game's current level?'



You're misreading the rule for doors. Rephrasing the sentence into two may help.

"Spawn a Guard card in this zone. The Guard spawns at the game's current level."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
ChipChuck wrote:
Oh yeah! I forgot that extra loot can be traded for XP.

Is that Level/2 calculated ONLY per single piece? In other words, can you trade (2) Level 1 loots for (1) XP?

That helps lessen the sting of having to dump loot before leaving town.

You can only trade 1 Equipment card for XP.
Rulebook p39 wrote:
Each Hero can perform each of the following trades once:

Trading Equipment for XP: Discard 1 Equipment card from your Inventory to get half of its Level (rounded up) in Experience Points (not Micro-XP).

EXAMPLE: Josh discards 1 Level 5 Equipment card and gains 3 XP.


Quagmire109 wrote:
Now spawns and ambushes from Door cards rules state, "Spawn. Spawn a Guard card of the Current Level in this Zone." - Okay this specifically says current level in "this zone."

Why does the door spawn even mention "zone's current level," if everywhere else they talk about "game's current level." Is there anywhere this difference in description would matter? Or did they just add superfluous text and should have just stuck with "game's current level?'

Spawn what? a Guard
Of which Level should be the Guard? of the Current Level (of the Quest's Current Level)
Where to spawn the Guard? in this Zone
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.