Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

EDIT 10th December: Rules for a 2 player game are now available at Tour Guide 2 player rules

EDIT 3rd November: Low ink files now available at Tour Guide v1.1

EDIT 13th October: Update now available at Tour Guide v1.1

EDIT 7th October: Files now available at Tour Guide v1.0

An entry for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest

Age 8+
Playing time: approx 10 minutes (per tour)

Summary:
Tour Guide is a light, tile laying game for 1 player. As a tour guide you must map out the city and your route through it, making sure to include all the locations of your Tour's itinerary.

Depending on the type of tour, you'll need to visit museums and galleries, parks and piazzas, as well as local restaurants.
The more sights your party experiences, the more points you'll score.
And if there's a historic landmark, world famous masterpiece or culinary speciality to take in along the way, then all the better.

Components:
- 28 Location tiles
- 1 meeting point marker (cube/token)
- 6 Itinerary markers (cubes/tokens)
- 6 4 Tour itinerary cards
- 1 Score tracker card
- 2 score tracker markers
- 1 Rule sheet
All fitting in a mint tin.

Done list:
Created a logo (as usual, I find that doing this first ensures I keep focused - no turning back!)
Some playtesting with very roughly sketched tiles.

To do list:
More playtesting.
Proper graphics for tiles and cards.
Write the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Tour Guide (2017 Mint Tin Design contest) Idea phase
Interesting theme and nice to see a focus on a solo game! Best of luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. Will watch its development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janine Viglietti
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds good, I'm in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johs
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you'll be able to have a very polished and well tested game by the submission deadline for the 2107 Mint Tin Design Contest.

I very much enjoyed your MowerMania tile-laying (/-flipping) game from last year, so I'm looking forward to see how this plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

So I’ve been doing some playtesting with roughly scribbled card tiles.

Each tile is divided into 3 sections. Each section represents a location.

There are 4 types of location:
- Museum (or Gallery - can’t decide best word)
- Restaurant
- Piazza (was called Square but that could get confusing as these locations have to be square/rectangular to score)
- Park (scored differently to other locations and can be any shape)

Some locations have an icon on representing a ‘Point of Interest’ (can’t think of a better word or phrase).
These ‘POI’s are unmissable sights/experiences such as:
Paintings and Sculptures (in Museums)
Regional speciality dishes and ales/wines (in Restaurants)
Historic ruins, churches, monuments, musical performance (in Piazzas)
Ornamental garden, fountain, ferris wheel (in Parks)

I’m currently trying to define/refine how the locations are created and scored.

At the start of the game you choose a card showing the type of tour and its itinerary/POI requirements. You then place tiles to build the city map, and markers to show your chosen locations for a meeting point and for all the various itinerary stop offs.

Placing a star icon next to a POI will make it world famous (more points) and a camera icon indicates a photo opportunity - extra points if you can see (and snap) a POI from it.

At the end of the game, if you've managed to create all the itinerary locations, you'll then ‘walk’ your Tour route - starting from the meeting point, visiting each stop off and back.
There's a big bonus on offer (tips from your group) for creating a succinct tour that doesn’t pass through a load of uninteresting places (still need to work out the mechanic and how this is calculated/scored).

I did try to restrict the layout to a certain number of tiles wide/high, but it worked better having the freedom to extend out anyhow you choose. (also creates more varied and interesting city ‘maps’).
However, if your city is too sprawling, with itinerary locations far apart, then its more difficult to score a high bonus at the end.

Anyway, I think I now also need to do some more finished tile graphics.
The location sections, as well as being different colours, will have different textures on, so hopefully will be colour-blind friendly. Textures would also work for a black and white version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johs
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking great. I like the idea if letting these cities grow wild and unregulated.

Just two suggestions/considerations:
To me "Plaza" would be more natural than the very Italian "Piazza".
"POI" is indeed a little flat/generic. Maybe a simple "attraction" could work? Or "essential attraction" perhaps.

World famous essential attraction photo opportunity! That's something I feel could generate a lot of "whatever let's you win the game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
johsahaahr wrote:
Looking great. I like the idea if letting these cities grow wild and unregulated.
Thanks!

Quote:
Just two suggestions/considerations:
To me "Plaza" would be more natural than the very Italian "Piazza".
I was recently in Italy - so Piazza was in my head. Whilst in Rome one evening, I saw a guide leading a group of tourists around the Colosseum - that's when the theme came to me. Plaza, although a Spanish word, is more universally understood I think - so let's go with your suggestion for now.

Quote:
"POI" is indeed a little flat/generic. Maybe a simple "attraction" could work? Or "essential attraction" perhaps. World famous essential attraction photo opportunity! That's something I feel could generate a lot of "whatever let's you win the game".
I'll be mentioning these a lot in the rules - so was after a short word! Let's see how 'attractions' works out.

Thanks for your suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your entry !

Thinking ahead... are you going to release expansion packs with thematic places of the world to visit? For me, it would be great having "actual and consistent" sets of monuments for an even more immersive experience.

In french, instead of Point Of Interest, many tourism offices use the word "Les Incontournables". In english, I do not know if it translates well to "The Unmissable" but that may be a lead worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johs
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenoit wrote:

In french, instead of Point Of Interest, many tourism offices use the word "Les Incontournables". In english, I do not know if it translates well to "The Unmissable" but that may be a lead worth considering.

Must-see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenoit wrote:
Good luck with your entry !
Thanks!

Quote:
Thinking ahead... are you going to release expansion packs with thematic places of the world to visit? For me, it would be great having "actual and consistent" sets of monuments for an even more immersive experience.
I hadn't really thought that far ahead - let's see if the game turns out any good first! Obviously the map you build would bear no resemblance to the real city and, for example, in a 'Rome expansion' the Spanish Steps and the Trevi fountain could well end up in the same Piazza!

Quote:
Yes, I had described POIs as 'unmissable sights/experiences'
As an acronym that would be 'USE'. Maybe I can come up with a better one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
johsahaahr wrote:
Brenoit wrote:

Must-see?
Nice and short - but doesn't really cover restaurant/eating/drinking experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
johsahaahr wrote:
Brenoit wrote:

Must-see?
Nice and short - but doesn't really cover restaurant/eating/drinking experience.
Essential. That's often used for places you "need" to go to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tucky60 wrote:
I hadn't really thought that far ahead - let's see if the game turns out any good first! Obviously the map you build would bear no resemblance to the real city and, for example, in a 'Rome expansion' the Spanish Steps and the Trevi fountain could well end up in the same Piazza!

Yeah, I was just imagining thematic and real world attractions added into the mix. I know they would all end up mixed up. That was funny to imagine.

I think you have (yet another) great original concept to play with. Kudos for avoiding another "Deja vu" theme !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn van der Lee
Netherlands
Bussum
Noord Holland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be great if it mapped to real-world cities. Perhaps altering difficulty or having minor gameplay differences themed on a country's culture.

p.s. It says "2107" instead of "2017" in your top post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Tynes wrote:
Mark's just planning ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bgarthwaite wrote:
Tynes wrote:
Mark's just planning ahead.

Fixed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally got round to doing some graphics for the tiles.

Different colours and textures for each of the four types of location, and simple icons for the POIs/must-sees/USEs (Unmissable Sights and Experiences) or whatever I end up calling them.

I originally though of doing top-down illustrations but realised most of the things would be impossible to recognise from above (paintings, sculptures, statues, ferris wheel, beer, wine etc). For now I'm happy with the simple, clear look of icons.

I'm still playtesting but have written a first draft of the rules - should fit on one side of a small folded sheet.

So hopefully it won't be long until I'm able to upload some files to print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not use the Google-style drop pin for your POI type places? Or a variation of that?

At least on my screen at this time of night- the colors are good. I have no problems seeing the colors. The slight patterns helps too. But the red camera on the green background is a little hard to see- maybe a black outline...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
Why not use the Google-style drop pin for your POI type places? Or a variation of that?
Most of the icons will represent different POIs (the only other icons will be Stara and Cameras) so I don't actually need a generic POI icon. It's more that the various icons need to look like what they're meant to represent - hence going for graphical symbols rather than top down illustrations.

Quote:
At least on my screen at this time of night- the colors are good. I have no problems seeing the colors. The slight patterns helps too. But the red camera on the green background is a little hard to see- maybe a black outline...?[
Thanks - that's good to know. I'll see what a lighter, cream outline looks like for the Cameras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out the tiles on card and have been playtesting over the past week.

There are also 4 different Tour Itinerary cards to choose from.

The cards tell you what locations you'll need to create for the Tour and how to set the deck up.

The Cultural Tour card shows you'll need to visit 3 Plazas, 2 Museums, 1 Restaurant and 1 Park. The tour will also need to include at least 1 world famous landmark in a Plaza and 1 world famous work of art in a Museum.

Here's the final map for an Art Lovers Tour
The cubes mark the various locations on the tour (the green one is the meeting point).

This is a half day tour (uses one less location) and promises visits to the city's 2 most important museums, as well as 4 other locations.
Looks like I scored 83 here - the well positioned camera (in the uppermost park) managed to photograph four POIs (2 in the park and 2 in the adjacent plaza) to contribute 10 to that score.
A camera can photograph one or more POIs that are in a direct and unobstructed line (horizontally, vertically and diagonally) from it.

I'll talk more about creating and scoring locations in my next post.

I'm finishing first draft of rules and tweaking some of the icons, so hopefully will upload everything soon.
It's working out at just 2 pages of tiles/cards and one page of rules.

Here's everything in the tin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more info on how the game is played:

On each turn:
1. Draw and place a tile
- You place tiles one at a time to create the locations on your tour’s Itinerary (they may be created in any order).
- Each tile is divided into 3 sections. Each section represents a part of a location.
- Place the tile so that at least one section is adjacent to a section of another tile in play. Tiles may be placed vertically or horizontally but must never overlap (spaces between tiles are allowed).

2. Place a marker (optional)
- Put a cube/token as a marker on the tile you placed on that turn to assign that location to your Itinerary.
- The location must consist of at least 2 sections in order to place a marker on it (it may be increased in size later by adding more tile sections to it).
- Once placed, a marker cannot be moved.
- The first marker you place must be the Meeting Point marker. This can only be placed on a Plaza location.
- A marker cannot be placed on a location area that already has a marker on it.

Here is the Grand Tour card:

The Itinerary shows that you'll need to visit 1 Plaza, 1 Museum, 1 Restaurant, 1 Park and another 3 locations of your choice. The tour will also need to include at least 1 world famous POI in each of the 4 location types.

Next post will illustrate an end game city map for the Grand Tour and how it was scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the remaining rules and an example of scoring a completed Itinerary (yes, the term 'POI' is still in there only because I haven't come up with a better word or acronym that is that short).

Completing Locations:
- Only completed locations score at the end of the game.
- A completed Museum, Restaurant or Plaza consists of an area of 2 to 10 sections of the same type, arranged as a rectangle (including a square). 1x5, 1x6 and 1x7 areas are not allowed.
- A Park does not have to be rectangular. It is completed by connecting from 2 to 10 park sections in any shape.
- A location is not considered complete unless it contains at least one POI.
- Locations with an area greater than 10 sections are not allowed.

Scoring
POIs:
- Score 2 points for each POI in the location or 4 points if it is world famous (has a star adjacent to it)

LOCATION SIZE (except Parks):
Score points equal to the location’s number of sections ÷ 2 (rounding down)

BORDERING LOCATIONS (Parks only):
- Score 1 point for each complete location (including any not on your itinerary) that is adjacent to the park. These locations do not need to contain POIs.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES (in Parks and Plazas only):
- A Camera can photograph one or more Itinerary POIs that are in a direct and unobstructed line (horizontally, vertically AND diagonally) from it.
Obstructions are other POIs, a Museum or Restaurant section or a space between tiles.
- A Camera in a Park can take a photograph of a POI in a Plaza and vice versa.
- Per Camera: Score 1 point for one photo, 3 points for two, 6 points for three and 10 points for four (maximum).

BONUS:
- If every Location on your Itinerary is completed, with a marker on it, then you earn a bonus tip from your group.
- Starting at your Meeting Point, ‘walk’ the Tour route, visiting every Itinerary stop (in any order) and finishing back at the Meeting Point. You must stay on the tiles and not pass over any gaps.
- For each location you pass through (whether on your itinerary or not, complete or incomplete) subtract 1 from the Satisfaction Rating (shown on the Itinerary card). Add the final rating to your score.

So this Grand Tour scored 59 + 9 + 9 + 8 = 85 points.

I'm just finalising the rules - all on one side of one page, and tweaking some of the tile icons.

Aiming be upload the files this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Tour Guide (2017 Mint Tin Design contest) components available

Okay, files now available at Tour Guide v1.0

Just 2 pages of tiles/cards and 1 page of rules.
There's an additional page for printing a mint tin label, should you so wish.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tour Guide looks like everything I like about Limes, except I can print Tour Guide instead of having to hand-draw it. (Limes is virtually unavailable in the US). Back after I've made the tiles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |