Orléans» Forums » General

Subject: Is an expansion necessary for extra replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Noakes
msg tools
mb
Hello all,

I'm considering buying Orleans to play with my girlfriend, but i've often heard that the paths can feel a bit "samey" after a few plays, especially since there doesn't seem to be a big random setup. While this can in no way be a problem for some people, we like to have to improvise in our games according to the events or the setup.
This is why i'm also considering buying the "trade and intrigue" expansion (Invasion is out of print in France right now), does it add some events or board setup changes that really makes you adapt each game, at least for a while?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty Chicken
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought all of the promo tiles and use only half of the tiles each game which allows for a different number of building combos. I just got the trade and intrigue expansion and whule not necessary I think the trade route cards are going to make the game even better as there will be a reason to buy some of the resource buildings and move around the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Orleans dozens of times without any expansions or feeling samey.

That said, we own all the expansions, but that's just because I'm a completionist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. But the replacement beneficial deeds board in Trade & Intrigue is THE reason to get it. Especially if you're playing 2 player.

Additionally after your first few plays, use a variant where each player removes an upgrade tile from the game (or a few) if you find you both take the same upgrade tiles all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, trade & intrigue adds some new events, which are better tan the original ones. Also some extra buildings.
I recommend playing the new events from the beginning, though it's ok, start with the originla ones for the first 1 or 2 games.
The other Modules from the expansion are nice, but not necessary, but they add some good variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Noakes
msg tools
mb
So it seems that the expansion is really worth it, i decided to buy both then and wait for invasion later! (It seems there is a duel mode that could be nice since we're 2p) also i will try the advanced variant taking out buildings.

Thanks a lot for your quick and useful responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.