Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it seems to be Kickstarter only (twice), how high in the BGG ratings do you think it will be able to get? I'm pretty certain of top 100. What about top 50 or even top 10?

Just fun to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija Opašić
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 20 definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More and more people are getting their copies as phase 2 shipping just happened. I'm very surprised it's 170 right now as it's still a very niche/cult following. The price will put a lot of people off as well as the fact that the game will probably never make it to retail.

I think it deserves top 10 but if I were to bet I think it'll end up in the top 30.

We'll probably see it hit the top 100 by the end of the 2nd kickstarter. That'll give enough 1st ks backers time to play it and rate as the game will be full hype. I also don't think there'll be much anti hype (other than a high cost) so the ratings might be safe to trolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Higher than in the last thread where this was discussed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will also drop quickly once players realize that the feeling fades after first curse and drops significantly after 3 or 4. There's been posts about it already that the game really is great at first playthrough and after that it's rather for the hardcore fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this game will stay high in the rankings.
The game can't stand on it's own just by the core deck/hand-management mechanism. It's the exploration element that makes it good. And when that wears off, and it will, there isn't enough left to keep most players interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
The game can't stand on it's own just by the core deck/hand-management mechanism. It's the exploration element that makes it good. And when that wears off, and it will, there isn't enough left to keep most players interested.

While this does sound like a compelling argument, I'm not sure it holds water in practice - simply because Pandemic Legacy is still at Number 1 despite not being playable *at all* once you've completed the campaign. And from what I've seen, 7th Continent takes a lot more playtime to beat even 1 curse than PL does for the whole campaign.

(Yes, I was one of those who expected PL to drop fairly quickly, but I now have to admit I was wrong.)

DISCLAIMER: I've never played 7th Continent, nor did I back the first KS (I was apparently living under a rock and had never heard of the game until a month or so ago) - but I do intend to back the upcoming second KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
While this does sound like a compelling argument, I'm not sure it holds water in practice - simply because Pandemic Legacy is still at Number 1 despite not being playable *at all* once you've completed the campaign. And from what I've seen, 7th Continent takes a lot more playtime to beat even 1 curse than PL does for the whole campaign.
We'll see, but I think the difference is just that Pandemic legacy is shorter. You play it, rate it and then forget about it (and probably don't update your rating).
7th Continent will be played in multiple campaigns (if that's the correct thing to call a curse). But each time you play a new curse you will find less and less new things, which will most likely lower the enjoyment of the game (and as a consequence the ratings).
But this is just speculation. I can only speak for myself, but after playing one curse I've already discovered two places used for other curses. So I guess I will be returning to these already explored areas in the future. "Exploring" these areas will just feel like we are going through the motions. Craft walking stick, use it up, remember it, use again, hunt...
I'm already looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:

And Pandemic Legacy and Gloomhaven will plummet when people are done with the content....

oh nevermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:

And Pandemic Legacy and Gloomhaven will plummet when people are done with the content....

oh nevermind.

Well, I've explained what I think is the difference between Pandemic Legacy and 7th Continent. Regarding Gloomhaven, I think it can stand on it's own by just the mechanisms. It doesn't need the ton of different scenarios and enemies (which to me really aren't all that different). It's the different characters and the card play mechanism that makes the game. The legacy element just makes it better. Which is why it will probably stay high in the rankings.
But it's still to early to say if Gloomhaven will stay high in the rankings. We'll have to wait a year or two until all the 2nd printing backers and their friends have played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meh,

if time stories can manage to stay up there in the rankings, I don't see how 7th continent couldn't manage it either and it's a much better game thematically imho.

That said, where the game falls on a rankings board based on someone else's opinion does not diminish my enjoyment of the boardgame and I'm 3 curses in without feeling any boredom.

Plus there's the new kickstarter coming this month which will introduce even more content so yeah there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the most recent TIME Stories was a big improvement but overall, 7th Continent is a better game that TIME Stories, which really is its closest comparison. (It doesn't really have a comparison, but if you had to make one it would be TIME Stories.)

I still think it gets to 5 like Gloomhaven got to 4 before it. Then goes higher when the 2nd printing hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think most people will play it enough to realize how shallow the game becomes after repeated plays so it will probably stay high, because hype.

Whether it deserves it or not is another matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Roe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robinz wrote:
Helikoputtrik wrote:

(removed)

i agree - still working the first curse, and I can see how some of the original thrill will wear off with the second, third etc. but that's still a huge amount of content - far more than Pandemic Legacy - that's still really good.

I rarely rate games, much less re-rate them, but I think a game like 7thC will have a long life as a second-hand game, which obviously PL doesn't have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the hype will work against the game in the long run. Hype means more people will back the 2nd KS without knowing anything aside from "it's popular/high ranked on BGG" and they're likely to be disappointed. Out of all games in the top 200, 7C has the least amounts of ratings right now, but it's too niche to pull a Gloomhaven or Pandemic Legacy, I think it will go down in the ratings once more people play it.

Then again ratings only matter up to a point, I only like a couple of games in the top 10 of BGG and I manage just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
#7, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thread where this was discussed and where you can also find daily data and weekly charts.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.