Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow, another 18xx game!

I really am impressed that there are still fans of the game who will buy yet another version of the game, despite there already being gazilllllions of versions available.

Certainly hope that you guys have tons of fun with the new version, it's just not my cup of tea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, though you could say the same about wargames -- why do there have to be so many ASL modules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Sure, though you could say the same about wargames -- why do there have to be so many ASL modules?

Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining, I am just surprised/impressed by the number of versions this game has. It obviously has it avid fans and I am quite happy to see that they will be getting another game for their collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it, multiple 18xx games or multiple wargames in the same series is like different golf courses. Once a person learns to play the system, they often want a little variety in their playing experiences with that system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to end some day however.

18XX can only support 776 possible different titles, right? (Excluding symbols here...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Woooot? ANOTHER strange thread in a game's forum by someone not interested in the game who just wants to make sure everyone knows that he is not interested in the game????

Eric Brosius wrote:

Indeed; or Pandemic, or Love Letter, or Dominion, or... anything which happens to be enjoyed by many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Math wrote:
It has to end some day however.

18XX can only support 776 possible different titles, right? (Excluding symbols here...)

Never underestimate the power of ingenuity:

18??

18Ireland

and of course,

1862 and 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not versions of a single game, but different games that fall within a system. And yes, I'm excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
The way I see it, multiple 18xx games or multiple wargames in the same series is like different golf courses. Once a person learns to play the system, they often want a little variety in their playing experiences with that system.

Having played ASL myself I can perfectly understand that....

Then again the 18xx series is a solid game series in my book, but certainly not one I'd like to get that deeply involved in. After all there were times in my live when I played nothing but ASL... nowadays I love the variety the boardgaming world offers to us players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I really am impressed that there are still fans of the game who will buy yet another version of the game, despite there already being gazilllllions of versions available.

No need to be impressed. The 18xx game system is just thát good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Woooot? ANOTHER strange thread in a game's forum by someone not interested in the game who just wants to make sure everyone knows that he is not interested in the game????

Wrong, it is just a thread, that expresses happiness for all the 18xx fans out there and wants to show its impression with the many versions of the game.... (while still being not interested in this version of the game)

Does this make it a useless thread? Somewhat, just like your answer was or many many threads out there on the Internet are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
russ wrote:

Wrong, it is just a thread, that expresses happiness for all the 18xx fans out there and wants to show its impression with the many versions of the game.... (while still being not interested in this version of the game)

Does this make it a useless thread? Somewhat, just like your answer was or many many threads out there on the Internet are...

That's fine; I haven't seen a post that the 18xx community could so uniformly disagree with in a long time, maybe ever. You've brought us together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
That's fine; I haven't seen a post that the 18xx community could so uniformly disagree with in a long time, maybe ever. You've brought us together.

Somehow it reminds me of what my friend Rachel says:

"I'm glad I don't like Brussels sprouts. Because if I did, I'd probably eat tons of them, and they're disgusting!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm, Brussel Sprouts, my favorite vegetable! And they're about to be in season!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them too. Just brought a pint of them (more or less) home from the grocery store this afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. how strange that those who enjoy something would want more of it. Unheard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our cat, Evil, wasn't fond of Brussel sprouts but absolutely loved asparagus. One day I made the cardinal mistake of putting lemon sauce on his portion of asparagus and he never forgave me.

Why am I expecting a post from JC about the one, true way to enjoy Brussel sprouts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that I refuse to eat hidden, trackable Brussels sprouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fluffyevil wrote:

Why am I expecting a post from JC about the one, true way to enjoy Brussel sprouts?

Probably home grown using obscure programs to ensure optimal usability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Woooot? ANOTHER Euro game????
I'm waiting for one of these posts:

Mixo wrote:
oh wow, another 18xx Euro game!

Certainly hope that you guys have tons of fun with the new version, it's just not my cup of tea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
fluffyevil wrote:

With nutmeg.

Even better with chestnuts and raisins.

MisplacedWorker wrote:
Probably home grown using obscure programs to ensure optimal usability.

XXPaper obscure? Sure. ps18xx however has been around for many years and has been a mainstay of the PBeM scene for 18xx for decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to note here that there are many 18xx games. However most of them are not easily available. Even if it comes for recently published once. They often seem to go in small runs that quickly sell out and that's it - if you didn't make it wait for another opportunity with another title...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmph. Oven-roasted with olive oil and black pepper, and sprinkled with shredded speck.

(And: Yay! Eagerly awaiting my copy of 18CZ, too.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
rynelf wrote:
Hmph. Oven-roasted with olive oil and black pepper, and sprinkled with shredded speck.

(And: Yay! Eagerly awaiting my copy of 18CZ, too.)

Agreed 110%! Except for not knowing what you mean by shredded speck.
We like to add pecans and grapes to our oven roasted brussel sprouts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nostra
Slovenia
Ljubljana (Colonia Iulia Aemona, Roman Empire 1st-5th century AD)
flag msg tools
John Company (2017) by Cole Wehrle, Sierra Madre Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boiled or steamed. Sprinkled with fine bread crumbs, which are fried in butter till crispy brown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.