Subject: Games telling new stories rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Kristoffersson
Sweden
Mariestad
Vastra Gotaland
flag msg tools
Would love to hear suggestions about games where the players together create memorable stories. I have heard of Duel of Ages or Star Wars Rebellion, but are there more? And do you have any good examples of stories created?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Legacy games are basically made for you. Every game changes the conditions and rules for the next game based on what happened.

Risk Legacy
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
... Leave early.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror The Card Game.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25548537#25548537
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen is all about creating memorable stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A game of Xia: Legends of a drift system can make great stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the best thing for creating stories, in my opinion, is a story game. Something like Fiasco or A Penny for My Thoughts. Where there are rules that help people be creative and create a story together.

If you really want a board game that does it, well, the closest I've come is Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, but all it did was remind that I'd rather play a story game if I want to play out a cool story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
While not explicitly a story game, for us it's Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. We always get a different journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MY top two games that create memorable stories: Arkham Horror and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy, although this game may not offer the kind of memorable stories the OP is asking for. "Destroying friendships since 1959" truly captures the essence of Allan B. Calhamer's masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jade Knight wrote:
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen is all about creating memorable stories.

This is probably the best answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Yes. I've had one play session but I remember that time when a party member beat that crab to death with a club he'd made, then we made a fire and cooked it. Oh, and the time I conducted an experiment at a grave, and when we found that body and one chap ran over to examine it, and jumping across treacherous rocks to get to another island, how one member made a bow and flaming arrows...

Look out for the second Kickstarter campaign launching in (I think) October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Wood is a great game when it comes to stories. Some players seem to have a such an "easy" time - collecting loot and powering through everything in their path - while others get blown around the wood, cooling their heels in the Tower and/or being defeated by every enemy out there. Its almost like the game decides up front that it "has it in" for you... but everyone end with a story to tell about "that one time when ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Once Upon a Time
Tales of the Arabian Nights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog of Love.

Where do I begin to tell the story of how great a love can be...

KUNE v LAKIA: A Chronicle Of A Royal Lapine Divorce Foretold

Or a divorce if your imagination runs that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a| Time and Fiasco were mentioned already, and I think these are the perfect response. They are, at their core, games with a storytelling mechanic. Gloom (or Gloom Cthuhlu or Gloom Fairytale), while it doesn't require storytelling, thrives with it.

That all said, what I gather from the OP examples is not a game with storytelling mechanics but a game that inspires story creation. The epic recitation of success and failure against the game itself or against a dastardly foe named Craig!

Personally that list is:
Pandemic (any)
Forbidden Island
Elder Sign
Formula D (just got it)
Castle Panic
Risk
Riff Raff

I find these titles pit me against the game, or me against my friends, in very nail biting sorts of ways and I tell people about the games regularly. Formula D was exhilerating for me, I've always had a weird romantic notion of the Monacco Gran Prix so taking those tight turns in the Chicane were just tingle worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
OrangeWizard wrote:
That all said, what I gather from the OP examples is not a game with storytelling mechanics but a game that inspires story creation. The epic recitation of success and failure against the game itself or against a dastardly foe named Craig!

Ugh! Craig?! I won't even play with that guy anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he shares his whiskey so...I mean, I'll tolerate him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of the arabian nights is pretty cool for creating a story. One game went something like this: I angered a djinn and was cast far away from my home. I tried to travel home, and came across many hardships. While trying to get back home I was robbed, I was beaten, I was battered by storms and I just barely made it home. At home, I saw a beautiful princess who cast me aside because my travels had crippled me, and I was poor. In an effort to gain her favor I went in search of treasure, where I stumbled upon the cave of wonders. In the cave of wonders I found vast treasures that I took back to the princess and we were then married. With my new bride, and my new fortune I thought I had it all now. I went to travel the world and taste all of the cuisines I could, enjoying my new life. Then the djinn appeared to me again, and this time he murdered me. I just wasn't allowed to be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.