Subject: Stack Priority - Blank Die + Flip rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donavin Northrup
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I've been back and fourth on this stack event since it recently came up. I forget the class, but one of the mages (Battle Wizard?) has an ability to make a Blank Dice = 1 Bang. It's second effect is to flip a dice.

This is where the discussion led to an argument, and I see both ways.

Let's start with the stack:

1: Apply effects which add dice
2: Cap dice of each colour to 3
3: Apply effects which subtract dice
4: Roll all dice
5: Apply Re-roll effects (and after each Re-roll, 'After a Re-roll' effects)
6: Apply Re-roll effects of blank results (and after each Re-roll, 'After a Re-roll' effects)
7: Apply effects which flip dice
8: Apply effects which affect blank dice
7: Apply all Defender's Bam/Diamond Enchantment effects
8: Apply all Attacker's Bam/Diamond Enchantment effects
9: Inflict Pain!

If I follow this from top to bottom, you flip the dice - Which is no longer blank, thus you don't get the bang --- This is the ruling that I went with, and it makes sense following the stack.

The other way this could have played out, is that they add the bang, then flip it (We'll use the red dice in this example) so the Blank becomes 3 Swords + Diamond. Thus you'd have 3 swords + a diamond + a bang.

Again, based on the stack, this is NOT how it would play out.
Which brought the concern from the caster - Why would you ever use the flip dice effect, then? I explained the situation, but I also agree with him that it's VERY situation. I would have to ABSOLUTELY need that 2nd bang over 3 swords + a diamond (Yes, there is circumstances, but very few.)

I'm just wanting to confirm which logic is the proper logic so we know the value of the Battle Wizard's ability going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be weird if you were to remember what the dice used to be when totaling your Hits, Bams and Diamonds. Thus, you want to do all the die manipulation (Re-rolls and flips) before you accept your result. That's why we agreed on that being the priority.

In this case, the Battle Wizard's Skill lets them only flip one blank die. With the Yellow die, this always gives them two Hits and a Bam, so you will almost always do this with a yellow die, as you get a net gain of 2 Hits. For a red blank, your choice is to have a Bam or three Hit and a Diamond. Even if you can't spend the Diamond, the three Hits are usually going to be better than the Bam, so you will probably usually do this too (unless you have a yellow die to flip instead).

If you rolled multiple blanks, the ones you don't choose to flip will still provide Bams, so that is useful to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donavin Northrup
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Perfecto - Thanks for the confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadow Magic Skill Level 4 wrote:
• [Shadow Mode] Attack: Blank results get +1 
• [Shadow Mode] Attack: You may flip one blank result.

I agree that flipping the blank result do not give an additional Bam 💥 for this dice.

Still I see many cases where it is still interesting to choose either to flip a die or not.

* Flip a yellow die blank result give you 1 Bam 💥 + 2 Swords 🗡️; always better than get + 1 Bam 💥 on the blank result.

* Flip a red die blank result give you 1 Diamond 💎 + 3 Swords 🗡️. If you need 1 more Bam 💥 to trigger an Enchantment that you want (Life Siphon to heal, Freeze to stun and/or wound, Fireball Level 5 for more Swords 🗡️ if you already have a Diamond 💎 from another red die, or any other Equipment Enchantment), do not flip. Otherwise, flip the die.

Note that there are very few Enchantments that can be triggered with a Diamond 💎, and a lot that can be triggered with a Bam 💥.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.