Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers, obviously. If you haven't completed EE and are reading this you have only yourself to blame.

So, Area 666: Why the rules forbidding people from looking at it outside of a run? We didn't have anyone die, or even get hurt, on any of the runs, so it seems unlikely to be reading any of the cards during the game. Is the point just to mess with the players? Put in cards that say 'only read under a condition that probably won't happen, and don't read after the game' just to leave people guessing?

Near as I can tell (judging from other posts) the cards only have some lore going on for the background story, nothing that carries over to future games. So why make it so forbidden? Even item 2, which says specifically to keep secret and I think carries forward into future missions doesn't punish players for looking at it after the fact.
Considering that the scenario itself has very little in the way of narrative (Other than some problems at the facility at the start) it seems like a poor choice to discourage players from being able to get at those narrative threads after the fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Bock
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I like my beer like I like my board games...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some actual future-game consequences in there. Fair warning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
Why the rules forbidding people from looking at it outside of a run?

There aren't... instead there are consequences if you do. And IMO they're awesome, one of the coolest things to happen in Time Stories yet, as a roleplaying event in the meta narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game of myster. Let yourself wonder a bit.
My group, we couldn't help our self and checked most of the scenarious after playing it, but I feel like it's anticlimactic as far as such a story-driven game goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indjk wrote:
There are some actual future-game consequences in there. Fair warning.

Fair enough then, I suppose. If someone did pull one of the cards with future game consequences, looking at the others might give the other players a clue as to what they had. (Assuming it's to be kept secret.)

rahdo wrote:
Maebon wrote:
Why the rules forbidding people from looking at it outside of a run?

There aren't... instead there are consequences if you do. And IMO they're awesome, one of the coolest things to happen in Time Stories yet, as a roleplaying event in the meta narrative.

The insanity cards were far more interesting. Hiding content just because the players have been told not to look at it isn't very exciting. (And has already been done in Risk Legacy.)

During the mission I had Item 2 and Agoraphobia, my rolls were worse if other agents were on the same space but I wasn't supposed to tell them. Near the end of the run one of the other players purposely went on the space I was on after I told him to go somewhere else, because he didn't trust me. I asked him what he thought was going to happen, like if there was actually a betrayer aspect added to the game or something, and he just said "I don't know, you just have cards you're keeping secret over there, and I don't want more things kept secret. I want to see what you see." That was cool. Just by adding cards saying 'don't show this to other people' but no new mechanics I had a teammate suspicious of me in a fully co-op game. That was done well.

Having a set of cards that just say 'don't look at these or bad things will happen' doesn't excite me.
If it said something along the lines of 'Warning: some of these cards have an effect on future missions once read. If any player reads them, even outside of a mission, they take effect." then that would have been interesting. It's not necessarily bad, and players would have the decision of 'do we want to risk it? Maybe we'll just try one and see what happens...'

Although for some reason the punishment makes it somehow more effective than if it just said "don't read these cards unless instructed, even if it's after the mission."
If it just said "don't read" we probably would have shrugged and read them anyway, but because it says "Here's the punishment for reading" we didn't. I did point out to the group that the rules police aren't going to knock down the door if we read it without giving up our bonus tokens, but we're gamers and the extra rules stopped us.
(I refused to tell anyone anything about item 2 (other than it let me power up at the slime pond) because I didn't know if it carried over to future games, and everyone ended up grabbing the deck at some point and looking at it.)

So all this really means is when we use up our bonus tokens in a future mission, we'll pause the game and fish these out to look at them. Or when the campaign is finished. Hopefully there's something to it that will be more interesting for having seen it after the fact, otherwise I don't see difference between looking now or a year from now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
I did point out to the group that the rules police aren't going to knock down the door if we read it without giving up our bonus tokens, but we're gamers and the extra rules stopped us.

You assume to much. We have teams ready to be dispatched. We've already dispatched 3 teams to date. 2 of those teams have even returned, ready for another dispatch. We assume the worst for the third team...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Maebon wrote:
I did point out to the group that the rules police aren't going to knock down the door if we read it without giving up our bonus tokens, but we're gamers and the extra rules stopped us.

You assume to much. We have teams ready to be dispatched. We've already dispatched 3 teams to date. 2 of those teams have even returned, ready for another dispatch. We assume the worst for the third team...

That's okay. We have a sign inside the door that says "Entering this building for any reason, wether it's part of an assignment or not, causes you to immediately change factions and ally yourself with those inside."

I assume something similar happened to your other team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a really clever sign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished the scenario and I'm not sure what was the point of that location either. We looked at it after the game (I suggested we keep it unseen but was overruled) and it's really not that interesting. A bit like Item 2, really -- it was exciting during the game, then we saw the card while putting everything back and it was like "oh, is this it?"

I understand if there was a rule saying that a player couldn't talk about the cards in that location during/after a run, but I don't see the point of stopping players from looking at the location after completing the scenario. It's not as if we're going to replay the scenario and there's barely any lore revealed.

The hidden information in the game, on the other hand, worked out very well. Our experience was much like what Maebon described. A player had Item 2, was reading the diary/book, and went insane. We kept disagreeing on the locations to explore, and at one point I accused him of having a secret goal of keeping us away from a certain location. It made the game a lot more interesting because we had no idea what was going on.

Unfortunately his insanity card was Hemophilia which never came into play. I think the most interesting cards are the ones that force players to change their actions, like Agoraphobia or Kleptomania. Pity we played too well and almost never went insane.

And now we wait for the rules police to come and arrest us for our flagrant rules violation of looking at all cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.