Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Purchase guide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Hidalgo
Spain
flag msg tools
I ask you for some help:

I was watching the game and an important part to decide to buy it is the budget.

Reading the threads I am clear that, once there are already so many expansions, the optimum is buying one core (we will never be more than 4 players) and I think I am convinced that I will buy "City of the Ancients", I like more these characters and theme.

Once this is decided, I have seen opinions about it is very important to buy "Frontier Town", why?

Also people talk about it is necessary to raise the difficulty of the game with expansions that bring more enemies, stronger enemies and foes who attack at distance, but at the same time they talk about to choose the right expansions for the core's same world.

Here goes another question: to match with the 'City of the Ancients' what would be cool or what would be really needed?

I ask all this now that there are more stuff available than when most of you started playing when the game was released, and having available in my usually shop these expansions:

"Caverns of Cynder", "Serpentmen of Jargon Deluxe", "Dark Stone Brutes", "Masters of the Void-Deluxe", "Harverster of beyond", "Custodians of Targa", "Derelict ship-Deluxe" Kraken (XXL) "," Swamp slug of Jargon "," The Scafford gang "," Trederran Raiders "," Swamp raptor of Jargon "," Dark Stone Hydra (XL) Doorways into darkness (cards and terrain) "," Hell Vermin "," Trun Hunters " and finally the know " Frontier Town ".

I have also seen several 'supplements' on the Flying Frog webpage, but I do not know if they are worth it and it is very useful indeed.

I don't want to spend a lot of money and at the same time I want that everything fit well and the difficulty grows and enjoy for long time, if it is possible.

About my preferences: I have to say I love the theme of 'Far West' and 'cuthulu' too, but I like the existence of human enemies, or humanoids or mutated animals / insects (without displeasing me all the rest, snakes, tentacles, worms, undeads, krakens, etc., of course).

I thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're getting City of Ancients, which includes the Targa Otherworld, then the most appropriate enemy expansions would likely be Custodians of Targa. I'd stay away from the "of Jargono" enemy expansions, since you won't have access to the Jargono Otherworld.

If I were you, just get the core game. Play it a few times and you'll know what you want to add.

Want to make town stays more interesting? Get the Frontier Town expansion.
Want to add in another Otherworld? Get an Otherworld expansion.
Want more enemy variety? Get a couple enemy expansions.

Etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Hidalgo
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, unless there is some special deal buy the City of Ancients and see if you like that. If you want to expand the town buy Frontier Town, if you want to expand Targa buy Custodians of Targa, Turn Hunters, and the Guardian of Targa. I would not suggest Caverns if Cynder unless you have the Swamps of Death, as two of its monsters come from that box, though they provide counters as a substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Hidalgo
Spain
flag msg tools
Good advices are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Alberto!

Most people will tell you to get Frontier Town first: I disagree

Get used with the regular city system before expanding that.

This being said, after getting the first core box I would expand it like this:

1st: City of the Ancients
2nd: Masters of the Void - this is an enemy pack for the Mines (you will spend most of your times there) that add medium difficilty monsters and introduced Magic
3rd: Custodians of Targa - this adds new monsters for Targa, and also replaces the Pylon card tokens with miniatures. Excellent for expanding the only otherworld you have
4th: Guardian - this adds a Targa thematic boss. You can find him in the mines as well

Optional - Targa Artifacts and Encounter expansion packs - more cards = more dun

Don't buy anything else and play the game for a bit. After this I would get Swamps of Death and the monster packa that expand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Hidalgo
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks!!

What about Scafford Gang and Hell Vermin? Are they in the mines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flayer_666 wrote:
Thanks!!

What about Scafford Gang and Hell Vermin? Are they in the mines?

Scafford Gang are in the Mines, but can also be used forcFrontier Town adventures instead of Bsndits. Dark Stone Brutes are also part of the Scafford Gang, but are sold separately. Hell Vermin are Mines, but also appear in Cynder if you have the Hellfire Succubi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
As a retail peasant myself when you decide to get an expansion, I would suggest buying one of the Deluxe enemy boxes, as you get the best value for money from them. In particular, I would suggest the Scafford Gang. Firstly, it fits what you're looking for - the Scafford Gang is far west, mutated human enemies. Secondly, the box is very well themed.

You get two Scafford gang themed missions set in the mines, one where you're chasing the Scafford gang down the mines, another you're exploring a booby-trapped hideout. The cards you get with it include Scafford-themed gear which plays on the ideas of being an outlaw and benefits mutants more than normal folks. You get Scafford-themed mine encounters, such as discovering a room where the gang are planning a heist, or you might find prisoners held in cages kept as meat for the more mutated members of the gang! You get a set of cards for "super mutants" among the Scafford Gang, and you also get cards for special Scafford lieutenants, these are special characters such as "One-Eye" Jackson and his terrible evil eye, or Sgt. Bunker whose Rebel Yell whips his boys up into a frenzy! Not only do the lieutenants get special rules, but they also give bonuses to the Scafford gangers they fight with.

You'll find the Scafford Gang fights very differently to the monsters from Cities of Death. They're best at range, so trading shots isn't a good idea! All in all, I found the Scafford Gang a good buy, and I think you will as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Hidalgo
Spain
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot!!

And to play Hexcrawl? The same purchases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.