Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant Rule" Monster Hunters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dayn Slaathaug
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
So my group and I have been playing EH for awhile and we have adopted some variants to make it more enjoyable (Notably, Delayed only makes you lose 1 Action) but one thing that has always bugged me is that you fight monsters only when you have to and even then you end up worse off for it (90% of the time). Essentially, monsters aren't fun.

Instead I wanted to do something like Relic where you could use them as XP but instead of making you more powerful it removed other No Fun things. Here is what I was thinking, haven't playtested it yet but if there are obvious issues this would be a good place to find them.

MONSTER HUNTER VARIANT RULES

1.Players keep the Tokens of Monsters they destroyed during a Combat Encounter
-Monsters Discarded by spells or effects outside of Combat are Returned to the Game Bag
-They may be traded to other players
-They are returned to the bag on Investigator Defeat

2.During a Rest Action the Investigator may return 7 Wounds worth of Defeated Monsters to the bag for one of the effects below (multiples of 7 gain additional reward but any wounds in excess are lost)
-Regain all Health and Sanity
-Discard any 1 Condition from an Investigator on this space
-Remove all Impairment Tokens from an Investigator on this space
-Gain a Funding or Talent Condition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

one obvious problem is that you change the distribution of the monsters in the way that you reduce the number of draws of weak monsters, because they will stay longer in your play area to reach that 7 threshold. One way to solve this could be to link the effect to the number of "wounds" (to use your words) that you return to the bag.
I like your idea in general, makes it more arkhamesque. it seems to me a little bit op. Maybe you could separate it as an action on it`s own instead of linking it to the rest action.
Like I said, I think a variant in this direction could be intresting, but I doubt it would improve on the problem you have. I dont think this would increase the monsterkilling, because chars good at monsterkilling will still be monsterkilling and the others wont be more inclined. You are generally buffing those high strength high willpower people.

How about gaining focus for killing monsters of strength <3 and a clue >2

edit: second thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arkham zombie
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already a variant by Wolfie that allows you to gain eldritch tokens and improve your investigators, one way to gain tokens is to kill monsters.

Check this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1578506/improvement-variant...

Haven't tried it yet myself yet as it seems somewhat complex and I play EH mostly solo and it's enough complex as it is but I do find killing the same monsters tedious and immersion breaking and not rewarding.
"What? Star Spawn again, I just killed you?! Well..., I got better"

Maybe a more straightforward kind of variant like yours could be implemented with more ease but I'd probably keep the rewards more subtle, like instead of full sanity/health maybe a choice of either one or +3 for both, or a +1 for two skills (+ investigator abilities such as Joe has or gained from cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to make the game more "enjoyable", by making it easier?

it's funny how most people's notion on here is to correlate fun with how easy the game is. *shrug* to each their own i guess..

i lol'd at delayed only makes you lose 1 action. that must be one of the biggest suggested nerfs to the game i have ever heard. not even mentioning the fact that it makes certain investigators and items almost useless. very "enjoyable" some may say TOO "enjoyable".

"you're delayed!"
"oh no what's that mean?"
"oh nothing, nevermind, you have no actions left."

very "enjoyable" way to turn Cthulhu from Hardest AO to one of the Easiest, or should i say "most enjoyable" AO's.

also, if you can't see why the developers wanted MONSTERS to be so dangerous.. they are MONSTERS.
you suggest this as though you should be happy to fight a 20 ft elephant sized Dark Young, and then carry around it's 20 ft elephant sized corpse around with you so you can get rid of a dark pact or regain ALL YOUR HEALTH AND SANITY? that sounds "enjoyable".

it's true, i'm a glutton for punishment, as all of my personal changes to the game make it more difficult, but that being said, they are minor.
i don't even let new players that i'm teaching the game to get away with easy mode Mythos cards. for me, i don't have to win to enjoy the game, and i learned a long time ago that most people expect to get their asses whooped in a game about beings far beyond our power to defeat, but instead we scrape by and barely edge out the darkness... i feel as in a game with most of the rules i see suggested, games end by round 7 or 8 with every investigator at full health geared to the teeth and +2 to all skills, because "people aren't enjoying it", you know.. playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

my well spent 2¢.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just John
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Behind every fear, is a person you want to be.
mbmbmbmb
That's an interesting house rule. I like reading how others modify the game to make it their own. I am personally "by the book," when I moderate Eldritch Horror (or any other game besides Monopoly), but I respect and appreciate when other's share their ideas.

It sounds like a fun adaptation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.