James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of RPGs and MMOs, has anyone put together a generic list of common effects, for use as a reference when doing character powers, unit stats or custom power systems for home brews?

Video games seem to have converged on a de facto standard effects list for Melee/ranged/area DPS, tanking (mix of armor and control enemy targeting), heal, buff/debuff stats and crowd control categories. RPGs especially D&D frequently have a LOT of uncategorized effects.

I was going to make one of these lists but being lazy cool always seeing if someone has already done the work for me.

E.g. For movement effects, I imagine the list would be things like slam/push, pull, switch places, immobilize, slow, speed up (assuming the game has a grid or other "spaced" board where this matters).

Or things that affect your actions or turn like stun, sleep (variations of lose an action or lose a turn), or hasten / "leadership" type effects that grant extra activation/turn/action.

Or heal self/other, copy or grant a power, etc.

Anybody seen one of these built? If not I will start one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1, reroll die

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's are a couple of versions of the d20 condition summary:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm
http://5e.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there's that much standardization even in video games, unless you focus on a very high level of abstraction. For instance, many games have an offense/defense/support split.

The specific effects used basically depend on your game system. If vellum production speed is an important thing in your game, then you can have buffs that increase or reduce your vellum production. If that's not an important thing in your game, then you probably shouldn't use those buffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.