8 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Kickstarter Campaign - Into the Unknown. Failing Scenarios. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam MacGregor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So I've been trying to get a definitive answer to this question for a while and I can't see anything about it.

That suggests either I've missed something, or it simply hasn't occurred to anyone else to consider it (which would be strange, but there you are).

----

THE QUESTION:
If you fail a scenario in the Into the Unknown campaign, are you meant to replay it until you win before moving onto the next, or are you able to push on win or lose?

----

I can see that you cannot progress through the normal Gloomhaven campaign without succeeding in the scenario you're playing, however you can go back to Gloomhaven, or go and play another already unlocked scenario.

I don't know enough about how the scenarios work in the main campaign to know if that is why this question has never occurred to the other players (if that's how it works in the main game, it might not occur to players familiar with it to play it any other way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to think of this in the correct context, i.e. this was a dynamic campaign completely in the spirit of community interaction with a new scenario every few days or so. If you failed you could replay it or just carry on. This also depended upon how much time you could dedicate to the campaign. Main thing was to just have fun and a large part of that fun was around the online decision voting and the persuasive arguments that suppoted the votes. It was a great experience and I for one am looking forward to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
You continue to replay.
However, you are normally allowed to return to town, buy gear and level up in between failed scenarios. My group has done this and it's been very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam MacGregor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

Kristabelle: It does make a lot of sense when you put it like that. The reason I ask is that my group have been having a great deal of trouble with it, partly because we're still learning the game, partly because we've been playing different characters and having different people jump in and out, but I was wondering if we were maybe missing something more fundamental.

My group (well, it's mostly just been me and one other person) are experienced board gamers and pretty smart on the whole, so I can't see that we are consistently making massive numbers of suboptimal choices and we're nowhere near the 1 in 5 losses that I've seen Isaac suggesting people should be suffering. We're closer to the other way around.

I've been through the 'easily missed rules' and all that stuff and there's nothing major we're missing that I can see. Obviously certain meta elements, such as avoiding Lost cards in the early game, rotating who goes earlier in initiative and positioning to spread damage are all things we've only started to become familiar with as we played the game, but that's to be expected.

Is it maybe just that this isn't really designed to be balanced, as such, and is more just there to give people a taste of how the game works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a few of the Rolling Solo videos of this campaign. Looks pretty balanced other than one potential NIGHTMARE final room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
As someone who has played about 30 or main campaign scenarios and all of the Into the Unknown scenarios, there are a handful of Into The Unknown Scenarios that were much more difficult than anything we had encountered in the main campaign at that point. These scenarios can be very difficult even if you know what you're doing. I would expect the failure rate to be higher than what you'd normally experience in the main campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam MacGregor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mr G: I'm not surprised he managed okay, given how many mistakes he was making, at least in the scenario I watched (A Quatryl Scorned).

David: Thank you, that is very heartening to hear. I was positive that I hadn't missed anything vital and am glad it's not just my group that's been struggling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, watch Alucard2004 on twitch.tv. All of the KS scenarios are available on his video history there, and possibly also on youtube.

They are pretty good players, and got through most of the scenarios without too much trouble, but if I remember correctly, I think they did lose one and replayed it.

I played them all solo with two characters, and I failed two of the scenarios, one of them because I didn't read the victory conditions properly, and had to bail out and restart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.