8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hanabi or Beyond Baker St rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Kelly
Canada
flag msg tools
Looking for a game where you aren't looking at your own cards. Which theme is stronger Hanabi or Beyond Baker St. Or any other games that fit this game play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanabi really is themeless but a good game.
Have not played Beyond Baker st. but looks like a little more theme than hanabi.

Also check out Bomb Squad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and play both. Hanabi is the more streamlined game, for sure. It's supposed to be about putting on a fireworks show. The theme hardly comes through.

Personally, I'm really fond of Beyond Baker Street because there is more theme, even if it is slightly pasted on.

The cool thing about it is that, even though it uses the same basic mechanic, what you do with it is somewhat different. Instead of playing cards in sequential order (Hanabi), you are trying to meet certain thresholds by adding up numbers in a given suit.

The game also comes with varying difficulty levels (called "cases"), that can scale well for different playing abilities. It's also a race, because you're trying to do this against Sherlock Holmes who, of course, is a badass at what he does. The game also features character powers that make the game play either harder or easier, depending on which characters are used. So there's a lot of granularity in terms of scaling the difficulty.

And it always plays in 30 minutes or less.

At the end of the day, BBS is basically Hanabi, but with an actual game behind it. That's not a knock on Hanabi, it just depends on what you're looking for. Based on your original post, I would recommend BBS.

But you should look into Bomb Squad as well. Not my personal cup of tea, but a worthy competitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I misread the title here and thought that they were making a new Sherlock-themed Hanabi. It could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Boy, I misread the title here and thought that they were making a new Sherlock-themed Hanabi. It could work.

That's pretty much what Beyond Baker Street is, are you thinking about 221B?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond Baker Street, while not killing Hanabi for me, has relegated it for both theme and execution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are judging purely on the "theme" metric, then Beyond Baker Street. (Hanabi is themeless.)

If you were asking which one is a more solid game--that would be a question with a different answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Good to know. I was right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.