Empires in Arms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Piracy on the High Seas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Peltier
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
So, was looking through the rulebook when I remembered this thing about The US having to deal with pirates across the coast of North Africa, did a little research, and came up with this, would love to have it playtested by you guys and critiqued (be gentle it's my first time). Also sorry if I somehow unknowingly stole this from Empires in Harms, I'm not that far into those rules yet and I won't be for a long time.

The Barbary Pirates:

During any economic phase, add the piracy step between the Victory Points step and the Money and Manpower collection step. During the piracy step, any major power controlling Tripolitania, Tunisia, Algeria, and/or Morocco as free state(s) can elect to steal the trade money from one trade transaction. Doing so robs both Britain and the trading major power of their domestic trade money from one port selected by the "sponsor" or major power who controls the pirating free state, and awards them Britain's domestic trade value in money in that port. The other value goes to the free state's treasury. If Turkey sponsors a voyage then Turkey gains the home nation's domestic value while the free state gains the British value. Each port can only be selected once and if any two powers select the same port to pirate, then they have an unmodified competitive die roll to see who gets pillaging rights.

Alternatively you can elect to pirate American/colonial trade, taking $5 (or all, whichever is lower) of the American/colonial trade from a select nation. The sponsor gets $2 money and the pirating minor gets $3 (flip this around if Turkey is sponsor). A major power can sponsor more than one voyage against American/colonial trade, taking $5 at a time.

Every time a port is pirated the sponsor must roll, if there is a stack in that port add +3 to the roll. On a roll of five, piracy is halted and the trade goes on as normal, on a roll of six or higher the piracy is halted and the sponsor may not pirate the major power next economic phase. Add +1 for every consecutive time the major power has been pirated before (All piracy on the same economic phase is considered to be simultaneous). Subtract 1 from the roll for every consecutive turn the major power has not been pirated (to a minimum modifier of +0).

Pirating ports outside of the Mediterranean and Black Seas (Dardanelles access required) have all money gained by both sponsor and free state is halved. This does not include American Trade.

More than one major power can conduct piracy as long as it has control of at least one pirating minor free states, a major power cannot select another piracy province for pirating. A major power cannot select an ally or one of it's own conquered minors or free states as a target for piracy. If Great Britain is your ally you cannot pirate domestic trade. A major power may not sponsor more than two voyages against the same major power unless the sponsor and the major power are at war.

If all four of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Tripolitania are all part of a Turkish Ottoman Empire, then a fifth piracy voyage may be sponsored.

The controlling major cannot sponsor a piracy voyage if all the ports of that minor are blockaded, if they are part of an Ottoman Empire, then all ports in the currently in the Ottoman Empire to prevent piracy.

Add condition B.8 to the list of peace conditions
B.8 The losing major power cannot sponsor piracy voyages against the winner (including colonial/American trade and trade with conquered minors and free states owned by with the victor). This condition lasts until the next time the two major powers are at war. Including all conquered minors and free states. Breaking this treaty results in a free declaration of war regardless of peace restrictions.

Optional: In all campaign games starting after 1797, a major power cannot sponsor piracy voyages against Denmark, during all campaigns starting after 1785 you cannot pirate spain or Spain, doing so would give a controlling major power a free declaration of war against the sponsor regardless of special peace terms. If voyage sponsored against Denmark, then if any major power desires they may elect to control Denmark as if it had been declared war upon, but must declare war on the sponsoring power if not at war already (all modifiers still apply).

Optional: A major power can sponsor a voyage against Spanish colonial gold as well, using same money division as American/colonial trade.

Notes: All right that's it, any questions or clarifications I can edit in, still thinking of a way to permanently get rid of the pirates like they did in 1816 but have yet to think of anything. The optional rule is because Spanish and Danish both fought two wars against the pirates and signed a treaty for rights to not be pillaged (Britain had many treaties before these points, but previous treaties had been broken often).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlsson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trifectalprism wrote:
...steal the trade money from one trade transaction. Doing so robs both Britain and the trading major power of their domestic trade money from one port selected by the "sponsor"

Can two minors select the same port? If not, who chooses first if they are controlled by different sponsors?

Quote:
Optional: In all campaign games starting after The sponsoring major power cannot sponsor piracy voyages against Denmark or Spain,

I think a date is missing here. Also, I think a note about the reason for this rule would be clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'd throw out a couple of thoughts:

1. All trade impacted should be limited to the Mediterranean. The pirates did operate in more areas, but not the North Atlantic. So for game purposes, they shouldn't affect trade for anything else.

2. There should be some chance of a failure or range of results. Things shouldn't be guaranteed.

3. The power that is pirated should have some recourse available. On a particularly bad result from 2, above, they should be able to demand reparations from the sponsor or declare war.

4. A power that is pirated should be provided some way of attacking the minor that did the pirating under the right conditions. Roll a die for each time they're targeted and if the roll is equal to or less than that number, they can invade without a DoW. If they can take a port in the minor or the capital, then the minor pays some reparations and the pirates sign a treaty that lasts two years.

Personally, I wouldn't play a game with this house rule, particularly with funds flowing to the sponsoring power. The Barbary pirates were very much in it for themselves, so this doesn't make a great deal of sense for anyone other than the controller of the Ottoman empire. The impact is also too large - the pirates were annoying, but it's not like they did significant damage, which is what this permits. They also often ignored vessels from powers with navies (like Britain) specifically because they knew there would be retribution. US trade was targeted because the pirates didn't believe they'd retaliate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
snafustore.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Effects of piracy in the Mediterranean ceased to impact the "big economy" with the Lepanto naval battle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
Effects of piracy in the Mediterranean ceased to impact the "big economy" with the Lepanto naval battle...

Um, no, not at all, Oscar. Ottoman naval power was broken at Lepanto (though I seem to remember they had a larger fleet a few years later, but the threat to W Europe was effectively ended at Lepanto.)

For the Barbary pirates/corsairs continued to be a scourge well into the Napoleonic wars. Often they were paid off by Britain and others, which is why they attacked US shipping immediately after our independence. In fact the Marines hymn that mentions the Halls of Montezuma to the "shores of Tripoli" have to do with this.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates just for a small bit.

Cheerio!
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
snafustore.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason! glad to read you!

i'm surprised to see that US Navy has so many ties to Barbary Pirates!

But do you think that piracy affected trade to make a loss at Empires economy level? I mean, the loss of 1$ in game terms should be the result of a significant and organized piracy policy... and maybe is out of scope for the game level. I remember that EiH had a "corsairs" rule that I always tought unecessary.

Anyways, If I had to ponder a house rule about this pirates... I will redesign naval system from scratch... but that would be the Empires in Sails expansion... and.. maybe someday I do it

Regards!
Oscar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
Hi Jason! glad to read you!

i'm surprised to see that US Navy has so many ties to Barbary Pirates!

But do you think that piracy affected trade to make a loss at Empires economy level? I mean, the loss of 1$ in game terms should be the result of a significant and organized piracy policy... and maybe is out of scope for the game level. I remember that EiH had a "corsairs" rule that I always tought unecessary.

Anyways, If I had to ponder a house rule about this pirates... I will redesign naval system from scratch... but that would be the Empires in Sails expansion... and.. maybe someday I do it

Regards!
Oscar.

I would say they were more of a hassle in the 1600-1700s. But the Brits, French and maybe Spanish (?) paid them off not to raid. And they had to pay each of them. I was not super interested in the eih privateers rules. If one had random events, I think they fit well in there.

I don't exactly have the numbers, but I believe the US couldn't afford to pay the Barbs. It was cheaper to build a couple of warships and go fight them. You should read about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Peltier
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Ken:

Thank you for those thoughts,

I added paragraphs 3 and 4 to address concerns 1-3.

To address concern 4 the whole premise of this was the pirates letting the sponsor in on the money for protection and the opportunity to get so much money it would actually effect the big economy of Europe. (I know not the most accurate thing but I have a feeling it wouldn't be unrealistic)so a DoW on exclusively the free states would defeat the purpose of the pirates letting the sponsor in on the money in the first place.

As for the last statement, I wanted the sponsor to have to learn if they're stealing all that money they would have to face the wrath of the British navy or other wars if they make too much of a racket, and I would say stealing American trade, if it's a weak sponsor like Turkey, is incentivized to avoid getting Britain mad, and if Britain or France got their hands on the pirates then they would probably use them for more large pillaging missions or to just stop pirating altogether and I wanted to make that option available, even if not the most historically accurate course of action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.