Subject: Spy Club played a full campaign (all 5 games) at Gen Con 2017! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Martinelli
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last month a friend and I had a chance to play Spy Club at Gen Con 2017. Honestly, I've never played a game quite like Spy Club before. It has such thematic vibe and its easy to get wrapped up in the evolving story. The game quickly immersed me into an ever-evolving plot line that unfolded in real-time over the course of each game. I absolutely loved how the decisions our club made by committing clues effected the plot twists we unlocked next. It really felt like our group was writing the pages of our own epic choose your own adventure mystery book. The anticipation of what module we played next was a major linchpin to the fun. Racing against the deck to complete each round of clues creates the perfect amount of tension. There is a real sense of accomplishment in solving each part of the mystery. I absolutely cannot wait to start another campaign!

To sum it up. I felt like a grew my brain after playing. The sense of accomplishment was so rewarding. Spy Club has such thematic vibe and its easy to get wrapped up in the evolving story. I think that's the big selling point, immersion into the game play. Plus that choose your own adventure feel really sings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you rate it in terms of difficulty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How is the replayability of the game? Are campaigns replayabale with enough randomness, or are the stories fixed, so only playable once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Nick, Thank you for playing a campaign at Gen Con and for sharing your thoughts here. It was great to meet you, and I'm glad you had a good time with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Gabor, The sequence of content isn’t scripted, so each campaign will unfold organically. There are over 40 modules included, and you'll unlock a new module every game based on the events and your choices in the game. In one campaign, for example, you might unlock modules 3, 8, 24, 38, and 17. That particular combination and sequence will tell something of an emergent story unique to your campaign.

In a future campaign, you can easily choose to unlock 5 new modules. But as you play multiple campaigns, you'll start to have the choice to unlock one of these same modules again. All the modules are replayable. While some of the fun in unlocking a new module is seeing what it contains (and you'll only get that part of the fun the first time you unlock it), none of the modules depend on unknown information that would make them playable only once.

(We're working on a video with more details about how the content gets unlocked that will be available when the Kickstarter project launches.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Randy, color me very-very intrigued by your game! I'm in search of a coop detective game with great replayability for a long time, and this game could be THE ONE.

If this'll become a hit, can we expect an expansion with a more mature theme, actual killings or crimes like that...?

Also, will this be on kickstarter, or you have a publisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaborpivarcsi wrote:
@Randy, color me very-very intrigued by your game! I'm in search of a coop detective game with great replayability for a long time, and this game could be THE ONE.

If this'll become a hit, can we expect an expansion with a more mature theme, actual killings or crimes like that...?

Also, will this be on kickstarter, or you have a publisher?

I believe it will be launched on KS on 20 September.

YES for expansions in the future but I really hope it will not become more mature. Lets keep that for a full re-theme in a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Julien is correct: we'll be launching on Kickstarter on September 20. (We'll post a thread here on BGG, and you can sign up at http://SpyClubGame.com/ to get an email notification.)

We can definitely expand the game with new clue cards and campaign content: we're doing what we can in this product to make sure it's expandable. (It's too early to say if there will be demand for that or what other mechanisms might change in such an expansion.) I don't expect we'll expand it into a more mature theme, though. (I suppose that might be worth exploring for a sequel or a full re-theme some day, but not for an expansion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marronigus wrote:

I played a one game demo at Gen Con and I would say that it in terms of difficulty I'd place it somewhere around Beyond Baker Street or Pandemic for the initial game and with the stuff that you unlock it may bump up to Pandemic Legacy Season 1 level of difficulty. Admittedly, we only played one game of the campaign, so it may ratchet up as you progress through the campaign. From what I saw, I'd say it was a light-medium to medium weight game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Martinelli
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for my late reply, I didn't see the notifications. So here we go.

marronigus wrote:

For me I'd say it was a medium level difficulty and I think the age range its rated at is accurate. Honestly, the set collection and memory aspect of flipping and remembering the colored cards at times did challenge my brain. Some of the modules we unlocked were harder than others. Without spoiling content, I do recall one very cool module that I really enjoyed, but didn't score so high in. I'd say if this genre is your thing, that it won't disappoint and that its SUPER family friendly. I'm excited for the family game play.

gaborpivarcsi wrote:
How is the replayability of the game? Are campaigns replayabale with enough randomness, or are the stories fixed, so only playable once?

Replayability, no problem there IMHO. FoxTrot has packed a lot of modules into the game. There was on module in particular that I recall even if seeing it again, you'll still play through it to score to unlock stuff to help the team along.

The other thing I really found fun was playing mini games instead the campaign. That really varied the gameplay for us.

randyhoyt wrote:
@Nick, Thank you for playing a campaign at Gen Con and for sharing your thoughts here. It was great to meet you, and I'm glad you had a good time with the game!

You bet Randy, thank you again for the full campaign demo. It was definitely the highlight of this years Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching a couple of playthroughs, I am starting to fear that it is turning into a set collection game without the feeling that you are really investigating a mystery.

EDIT: I raised this concern directly to Foxtrot and they confirmed that "The core game relies on the players to tell the story as the evidence emerges, but the campaign deck does develop the town more and have a stronger sense of narrative.".

Really makes me feel much better as I don't always feel like coming up myself with a story!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Martinelli
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marronigus wrote:
After watching a couple of playthroughs, I am starting to fear that it is turning into a set collection game without the feeling that you are really investigating a mystery.

EDIT: I raised this concern directly to Foxtrot and they confirmed that "The core game relies on the players to tell the story as the evidence emerges, but the campaign deck does develop the town more and have a stronger sense of narrative.".

Really makes me feel much better as I don't always feel like coming up myself with a story!

Don't worry there is so much to this game. While it does have the set collection element, the modules you play are mini games that contribute to the mystery your unraveling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.