Hide
4 Posts

XenoShyft: Dreadmire» Forums » General

Subject: Base Xenoshyft Equipment in Dreadmire underpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
harrison
msg tools
For context, I've played the original and have Dreadmire but haven't touched it yet due to being busy.

I'm just thinking about loud, I know the enemies get extra bonuses due to the weather and so does some of the equipment, so does this mean if you were to use the original's equipment it would be underpowered, because my equipment gets no bonuses but the enemies do due to weather? Let's say I wanted to play a variant where I used only original equipment and troops, but against the Brood?

Anyone have any experience with this, and how did it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, some of the most OP pieces of kit are found in the Onslaught base set - Sparkjumper Assault Rifle and Pulsar Bomb come to mind. Erebus stealth suit feels unusually dominant with it's built-in Sparkjumper ability.

If anything, I get the impression certain items and one troop in particular got nerfed in Dreadmire to up the challenge factor. The re-appearance of the Erebus Stealth Suit mkII comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion is that the equipment is not a problem at all, but the troops are. Mind you that I play the game solo and I dislike games that are brutally hard, as I play for my entertainment, not for a huge challenge.

Some equipment from Onslaught is worse than similar equipment from Dreadmire, e.g. the damage prevention from the medipack (2 hp) compared to the drone (3 hp and/or ability to move a troop to another spot in any lane), but the legendary items definitely differ enough to be of use (updated medipack heals all wounds, updated drone prevents 4 hp and then is equipped to reduce all damage by 1 hp). The contrary is also true: the pulsar bomb (3 damage and ignore reveal ability) from Onslaught is very powerful. I would have no hesitation to face the Brood with Onslaught items only.

However, the troops are a different story altogether. With many wave 2 enemies sporting 6 hp, you need 3 Storm Troopers to kill one without engaging, versus 2 Combat Snipers. The damage prevention from a Field Medic is underwhelming against most Brood enemies. And whenever I get the Defender Suit from Onslaught as a wave 3 unit against the Brood, I sigh and hope the other two will be good, as it is utterly useless with its damage potential of 3 per attack and ability to take 3 damage for itself. The new version from Dreadmire dissipates a minimum of 4 damage and has a power of 4. That makes all the difference against wave 3 enemies from the Brood, who always seem to have 8 hp instead of 6. Keeping a unit alive for one more attack can be daunting and often necessary to prevent the troop from becoming an enemy upon death - or burned along with all of its valuable equipment.

So, in short: my personal experience as a solo player is that mixing the items up is good fun and does not make the game harder at all, but drawing too many Onslaught units to face the Brood makes it a tremendous challenge (I hate it, but if you like or need your game to be harder, this might be just the way to go for you). I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hong Tai Lee
msg tools
We seriously had no issues with the base equipment in Onsalught affecting the gameplay.

Intuitively, yes, it seems like without weather effects those weapons just "are not worth it and underpowered". However, they play handily into Xeno resource management and also offer more "niche" purposes (eg. spark rifle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.