Subject: Slag om Maastricht? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael König
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this game related to Slag om Maastricht?

Similarities:
* Same author
* Same cover illustration
* Both are categorized as worker placement
* Both are for 2 to 4 players
* Seemingly same topic

Differences:
* One is "medieval/fantasy", the other "Napoleonic/pike and shot"
* One is categorized as "co-operative" the other one isn't
* One has the playing time of 30 minutes, the other 120 to 200 minutes (or is the former value "per player"?)

Is this the same game or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
Yes, it is the same game!

About the differences:

- The game covers four different sieges of Maastricht. The first one happened in 1579, the last one in 1794.

- Castellum has an added "cooperative-but-not-really" aspect. When enough invaders are defeated, you as players will be rewarded by the citizens of Maastricht. This means that if one player defeats a lot of enemies, he'll implicitly help the trailing players.

- Yes. This version is shorter. You'll get less workers to place, and the combat phase is simpler, so it plays a lot smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael König
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, Kevin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W*m L**naerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
- Castellum has an added "cooperative-but-not-really" aspect. When enough invaders are defeated, you as players will be rewarded by the citizens of Maastricht. This means that if one player defeats a lot of enemies, he'll implicitly help the trailing players.

In this case you might want to add 'semi-coöp' to the description of the game. I for one like to have one player at the table emerge as victor so I usually don't play coöps and have skipped all of them in the ESSEN preview list. But after reading the rules I realize that although coöperation is needed at the end there will be one player winning the game. Now that makes this game more interesting for players like me. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I played this one at "Zomerspel" as prototype/preview.

Is this the game where you distribute the "invaders" amongst your fellow gamers and yourself and make piles of cards including defenders & attackers to resolve battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Game Brewer
msg tools
publisher
Yep, that's the one. As you can see, it's sort of a siege game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
It was on demo yesterday at "Limburgerspel" in Genk.
Maybe something to play with the kids though. (at least for me)

edit: btw, I think some rightly themed beer might be just the right addition for the booth of you game-brewers.
Or you might attract the wrong crowd. whistle

btw, enjoyed the pixie queen as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Game Brewer wrote:
Yes, it is the same game!

About the differences:

- The game covers four different sieges of Maastricht. The first one happened in 1579, the last one in 1794.

- Yes. This version is shorter. You'll get less workers to place, and the combat phase is simpler, so it plays a lot smoother.

Wasn't Slag om Maastricht simply the prototype? AFAIK it never got published, but instead reworked into Castellum: Maastricht, didn't it?
I'd say the other BGG entry is obsolete and can be removed. Ask the admins to move all the content (images/video) to this entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.