Subject: French Cruller Rules Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Parker
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
There was a disagreement about how the French Cruller works during our first play of Go Nuts For Donuts.

The general rules state "a special power that must be activated immediately when it is taken from the donut row."

The card reads "When you take this card from the donut row, discard any number of cards in the donut row that were not selected this round."

There are 3 possible interpretations that I see:

1) When activated, it can discard ANYTHING currently in the donut row (my interpretation).

2) Only cards remaining in front of the French Cruller when activated could be discarded (meaning that a French Cruller in the first position can't activate this power).

3) It is activated at the end of the round and any donuts remaining could be discarded (everybody else's interpretation).

Which of these is correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting question. We have always played (3) because we simultaneously pick up our cards. But I like to think that it might be (1), which adds more tactics and makes the cards more powerful. Then again I wouldn't like that all other players receive no card at all (unless the French Cruller) has no score on it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Skrodzki
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you pick up the donut cards from left to right, that being said, if the French Cruller is card #1, then all the cards after it have not been picked up yet when activating its power, but I don't think that means any of them can be discarded. I don't believe that not being picked up means not being selected. Since the card does say "not selected this round", I've been playing by number (3). However, I could see how number (1) could make for some interesting gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance P
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's #3.

Everyone reveals their selection at the same time. Regardless of how you choose to then pick them up (we pick up all selected cards simultaneously too), you can only discard cards with the French Cruller not selected this round. Therefore the timing doesn't really matter if you do it immediately or after the round as you'll have identical choice of cards to discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards are actually to be taken one at a time in order and subseqently activated as you do so. That being said, selections are revealed simultaneously, and so all selections are known before cards are taken/activated. So #3 is the inevitable conclusion for how the french cruellers play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parker
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I see what you're saying and agree. The reveal/selection happens simultaneously, but if multiple cards have special powers they are simply taken and activated in numerical order.

I think our problem is we were starting with number one, revealing who selected it, and resolving everything before continuing. It definitely helps build suspense, but messes up this specific action.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
All good. Though regarding those who are taking cards simultaneously, how then are you maintaining order for activation purposes. For example, if card #1 (a plain) is discarded, card #2 (an eclair) is taken, card #3 (a glazed) is also discarded, and the rest of the cards are then taken or not, the player who took the eclair (#2) should have received the plain donut (#1), as it should have been the top card on the discard pile at the time the eclair was selected. The bear claw or cinammon twist activate immediately as well, before subsequent selections are taken. This prevents the taking of or shifting of any donut taken after the bear claw or cinnamon twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
All good. Though regarding those who are taking cards simultaneously, how then are you maintaining order for activation purposes. For example, if card #1 (a plain) is discarded, card #2 (an eclair) is taken, card #3 (a glazed) is also discarded, and the rest of the cards are then taken or not, the player who took the eclair (#2) should have received the plain donut (#1), as it should have been the top card on the discard pile at the time the eclair was selected. The bear claw or cinammon twist activate immediately as well, before subsequent selections are taken. This prevents the taking of or shifting of any donut taken after the bear claw or cinnamon twist.

You are right. We never ran into trouble but we'll play it that way in the future. Wonderful community, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Wonderful community...

Indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Eagle

Snohomish
Washington
msg tools
designer
mb
#3 is correct, though Darin brings up an interesting situation that I haven't noticed in the hundreds of games I've played.

I think resolving the French Cruller after all other donuts that round is the best solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David @DailyMagicGames
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're reading the rule wrong...

Quote:
"When you take this card from the donut row, discard any number of cards in the donut row that were not selected this round."

The cards in the donut line resolve in the order of the # tiles and "selected" means that no players has revealed that number on their selector card.

So, in a 4-player game, where the cruller is donut #2...

Bob and Julie both reveal a 1 selector card
Mary reveals a 2 selector card.
Steve reveals a 4 selector card.

• #1 donut is discarded because it was selected by more than one player.

• Mary's cruller (donut #2) lets her discard donut #3 and/or #5. She cannot discard #1 because it has already been removed from the line, and she cannot discard #4 because Steve selected it.

• Steve takes donut #4

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in David. Glad to hear an official response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.