Subject: How do you place "adjacent" enemies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A A
United States
Sylvania
Oh
flag msg tools
If the contact table lists, say, Squad/Squad at "adjacent", how does that work?

Does that mean that, on the cards to the left and right of the card where contact was triggered, you put one enemy squad on each side? Or is it above and below? Or diagnonal?

The word "adjacent" in this case can apply to many directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaosduck7 wrote:

Does that mean that, on the cards to the left and right of the card where contact was triggered, you put one enemy squad on each side? Or is it above and below? Or diagnonal?

As per FoF 2nd Ed. (2017) 9.2.2 Page 51:

Quote:
If that column tells you to place the unit on an adjacent card, or at max LOS, continue to draw on the Unit Placement Table until you get a direction (Front/Side/Rear; Left; Right).

So ignore any result that wouldn't make sense (like getting "Per Package Table.." again). The table results may differ depending on the mission.

You would do this for each squad (unless they're meant to be placed on the same card, e.g. separated by a + rather than a /). This may also cause the map to expand as well if the adjacent card direction happens to be off-map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A A
United States
Sylvania
Oh
flag msg tools
jyeackle wrote:
Chaosduck7 wrote:

As per FoF 2nd Ed. (2017) 9.2.2 Page 51:

Quote:
If that column tells you to place the unit on an adjacent card, or at max LOS, continue to draw on the Unit Placement Table until you get a direction (Front/Side/Rear; Left; Right).

So ignore any result that wouldn't make sense (like getting "Per Package Table.." again). The table results may differ depending on the mission.

You would do this for each squad (unless they're meant to be placed on the same card, e.g. separated by a + rather than a /). This may also cause the map to expand as well if the adjacent card direction happens to be off-map.

Hmm...

that was my original thinking but it still doesnt really make sense to me.

The options on the tables are always something like "Front at max LOS" or "Front left at max LOS"

So if I trigger a contact at a card with Squad/Squad, and I draw placements for both, they could be potentially placed somewhere thats not adjacent to each other.

Its not like the placement says 'Left" or "Right" or "Up". It can potentially extend to max LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaosduck7 wrote:
Hmm...

The options on the tables are always something like "Front at max LOS" or "Front left at max LOS"

So if I trigger a contact at a card with Squad/Squad, and I draw placements for both, they could be potentially placed somewhere thats not adjacent to each other.

Its not like the placement says 'Left" or "Right" or "Up". It can potentially extend to max LOS.

You have to read the rule literally, you're just using the portion of the chart to check the direction and ignoring the "at max LOS." as that contradicts the original "adjacent" result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Chaosduck7 wrote:
Hmm...

You have to read the rule literally, you're just using the portion of the chart to check the direction and ignoring the "at max LOS." as that contradicts the original "adjacent" result.

I think I see the confusion here , the squads are not placed adjacent to each other but adjacent to the card that initiated the contact.

Force Package Placement table always refers to the Card where the contact occurred and overrides the subsequent distance part of the placement draw.

My bold below. Page 38 :-

If the placement result is “Per Packag Table Placement .....
....Force Package Table to determine whether to place the units on the same card as where the contact occurred, on cards adjacent to the contact card, or on cards at the current maximum LOS range from the contact card.....
...continue to draw on the Unit Placement Table until you get a direction (Front/Side/Rear; Left; Right)."

The second draw in this case is just for direction not distance. As others pointed out but they missed you thought the squads had to be adjacent to each other. In effect the / indicates separate draws for each. The result could have been squad adjacent (Although there isn't such a result)

Less wordy rule :-

If the placement result is “Per Package Table Placement,” refer to the Placement column in that campaign’s Force Package Table to determine where to place the units in relation to the card where the contact occurred, possible placements are Same, Adjacent or Maximum LOS. If adjacent or at the current maximum LOS range from the contact card then continue to draw, on the Unit Placement Table, for a direction (Front/Side/Rear; Left; Right) from the contact card relative to the players map orientation.
Do not place a unit that is listed after a “/” character on the same card as another unit in the same package; continue to check for placement until you determine a different card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.