Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Terraforming Mars: Hellas & Elysium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Self-Replicating Robots and Excentric Award rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Wegner
United States
Midland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the resources on cards placed on Self Replicating Robots count toward the Excentric Award?

Self-Replicating Robots says:
Quote:
(Action: Reveal and place a SPACE OR BUILDING card here from hand, and place 2 resources on it, OR double the resources on a card here.
Effect: Cards may be played as if from hand with the cost (reduced by the number of resources on it.)


The description for the Excentric award on the rule sheet says:
Quote:
Excentric – Most resources on cards.


Self-Replicating Robots places 'resources' on cards, and that seems to be what the Excentric Award is looking for.

However, this feels wrong to me. These resources feel different from others. Unlike resources on other cards, the resources on Self-Replicating Robots aren't resources of a particular type (such as animals, microbes, fighters), just generic resources. With the doubling effect of the action, these resources are able to accumulate much more quickly than others.

In addition, it feels wrong that a card that has not yet been actually played could contribute to one of the awards this way.

If the intention is for the resources on Self-Replicating Robots not to count toward Excentric, then perhaps changing the description for the Excentric Award to read:
Quote:
Excentric – Most resources on cards in play.

would clarify the intent.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that they count for the excentric award, making SRR the ultimate card for this award...

Now, since SRR is a goodies card, it may not be as well balanced as the base game / expansions. So maybe just remove SRR when playing this board
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
While it might, if you are concerned about this award I would just errata it so it couldn't be used with that award or use the award definition you listed. Both should work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WolFox wrote:
Do the resources on cards placed on Self Replicating Robots count toward the Excentric Award?

Self-Replicating Robots says:
Quote:
(Action: Reveal and place a SPACE OR BUILDING card here from hand, and place 2 resources on it, OR double the resources on a card here.
Effect: Cards may be played as if from hand with the cost (reduced by the number of resources on it.)


The description for the Excentric award on the rule sheet says:
Quote:
Excentric – Most resources on cards.


Self-Replicating Robots places 'resources' on cards, and that seems to be what the Excentric Award is looking for.

However, this feels wrong to me. These resources feel different from others. Unlike resources on other cards, the resources on Self-Replicating Robots aren't resources of a particular type (such as animals, microbes, fighters), just generic resources. With the doubling effect of the action, these resources are able to accumulate much more quickly than others.

In addition, it feels wrong that a card that has not yet been actually played could contribute to one of the awards this way.

If the intention is for the resources on Self-Replicating Robots not to count toward Excentric, then perhaps changing the description for the Excentric Award to read:
Quote:
Excentric – Most resources on cards in play.

would clarify the intent.

Yeah, that's a better wording. The card on SRR is not in play and those Resources should not Count. As you say, they are not really Resources but rather accumulated payments towards the card.
Plus, it would suck if just one card would auto-win an Award.

Errata: The Excentric Award Counts Resources on cards in play (including Corporations).
So Self-replicating Robots does not help, since those Resources are on a card that is not in play.
19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:


Errata: The Excentric Award Counts Resources on cards in play (including Corporations).

?
Is there a corporation that traces something with resources? Or is it future-proofing ability to be compatible with expansions?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
Fryxen wrote:


Errata: The Excentric Award Counts Resources on cards in play (including Corporations).

?
Is there a corporation that traces something with resources? Or is it future-proofing ability to be compatible with expansions?



Looking at this post, there seems to be a corporation in the next expansion that can collect resources (Floaters)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/26722174#26722174
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altamash Malik
msg tools
I have a question or clarification rather, with the excentric award, do microbes/animals count as resources or not?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
altamashmalik1990 wrote:
I have a question or clarification rather, with the excentric award, do microbes/animals count as resources or not?

They do (why wouldn't they?) and will probably be the deciding factor for this award in many cases.

Spoiler alert: The Venus Next expansion features a new special resource (Floaters) - those can amass on cards quite a bit as well. (Some cards are also able to spend them for other benefits tho, so you'll have to decide whether you want to keep them for the award or not, much like some of the microbe cards we already have.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altamash Malik
msg tools
Snapshot wrote:
altamashmalik1990 wrote:
I have a question or clarification rather, with the excentric award, do microbes/animals count as resources or not?

They do (why wouldn't they?) and will probably be the deciding factor for this award in many cases.

Spoiler alert: The Venus Next expansion features a new special resource (Floaters) - those can amass on cards quite a bit as well. (Some cards are also able to spend them for other benefits tho, so you'll have to decide whether you want to keep them for the award or not, much like some of the microbe cards we already have.)



Well I only say that because some cards actually have text on it which says ADD ONE RESOURCE to this card.

The microbe ones say ADD ONE MICROBE TO THIS CARD.

For example look at security fleet..... it says add one FIGHTER resource.

Any clarification from the game designer would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In essence, all square icons are always resources, and they are represented by the metallic cubes. The six basic resources are those on the player board, but then there are several non-standard resources, such as microbes, animals, science, and some more.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.