BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
8.51 Diplomatic Issue

The resolution of the Diplomatic issue depends on the status of its Theater.

Contested or Enemy-Controlled Theater

The owning Faction commits up to three Strategos tokens from its pool. If the number of Strategos tokens, plus Treachery mark- ers of his Side already present, is greater than the military value of Enemy military units, plus twice the number of Enemy Bases in the Theater, convert one Enemy League Base to a Friendly League base and remove all friendly Treachery markers in the Theater. Otherwise, place Treachery markers in the Theater equal to the number of committed Strategos tokens. If an Enemy base converts the issue owner gains 2 Honor and the other Side’s Controlling Faction loses 2 Honor.

I have a Diplomatic issue resolve in a contested theatre and qualify by numbers to convert an enemy base but have no allied league bases left.....a risk for Athens who start out short on supply in the Second Peloponnesian War scenario.

My question hinges around how to interpret the "Otherwise" condition.....whether it is triggered by not qualifying to convert an enemy base due to not having sufficient Treachery + Strategos, or by failing to convert an enemy base for any reason, as in my example.

Which of the following applies?:

1. I'm out of luck and shouldn't waste the Strategos tokens but just discard the Diplomatic issue (I should have planned better and used a League issue to convert a League base to a City State one first).

2. I can elect to spend up to 3 Strategos for more Treachery tokens anyway (maybe to support a future Expedition Assembly which might be a better option for that theatre).

Thanks.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
Quote:
8.51 Diplomatic Issue

The resolution of the Diplomatic issue depends on the status of its Theater.

Contested or Enemy-Controlled Theater

The owning Faction commits up to three Strategos tokens from its pool. If the number of Strategos tokens, plus Treachery mark- ers of his Side already present, is greater than the military value of Enemy military units, plus twice the number of Enemy Bases in the Theater, convert one Enemy League Base to a Friendly League base and remove all friendly Treachery markers in the Theater. Otherwise, place Treachery markers in the Theater equal to the number of committed Strategos tokens. If an Enemy base converts the issue owner gains 2 Honor and the other Side’s Controlling Faction loses 2 Honor.

I have a Diplomatic issue resolve in a contested theatre and qualify by numbers to convert an enemy base but have no allied league bases left.....a risk for Athens who start out short on supply in the Second Peloponnesian War scenario.

My question hinges around how to interpret the "Otherwise" condition.....whether it is triggered by not qualifying to convert an enemy base due to not having sufficient Treachery + Strategos, or by failing to convert an enemy base for any reason, as in my example.

Which of the following applies?:

1. I'm out of luck and shouldn't waste the Strategos tokens but just discard the Diplomatic issue (I should have planned better and used a League issue to convert a League base to a City State one first).

2. I can elect to spend up to 3 Strategos for more Treachery tokens anyway (maybe to support a future Expedition Assembly which might be a better option for that theatre).

Thanks.

Brent.

This is an edge case but using the rules as written, yes you can place more Treachery in the Theater (up to three).

That said, remember that Treachery markers once placed are hard to remove, so if you win a future battle there, the Treachery markers are not removed per 9.83. See 9.81 for the three issues that will allow you to remove the Treachery markers.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

Yes, it is an edge case. I hadn't encountered it before but it did just come up in a solo game....and is more likely in the Second Peloponnesian War scenario where Athens starts with almost all League bases already on the map.

I guess the quickest way to retrieve a heavy commitment of Treachery tokens in a theatre is to convert an enemy League base. The other two methods (Diplomatic and League) are slower and more resource intensive. With my limited (but growing ) experience with the game, I do think a strong commitment of Treachery tokens in a hotly contested theatre in a shorter scenario, where they're unlikely to be needed elsewhere, isn't a bad investment (e.g. Boeotia in the Archidamian or Second Peloponnesian War scenarios). They provide permanent force that doesn't create any honour swing for losing battles.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.