Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » General

Subject: Question after first play - large difference between evacuation rewards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday we played our first game of Anachrony (B side, alternative timeline, 64 - 56 - 54 - 34 (no evac) points) and we loved it. What surprised us however at the end of the game was how large the differences were between evacuation rewards. I played with Path of Salvation with evacuation 'Overwhelming Power'. I had 3 Power Plants and 9 Neutronium which gave me (3 + 9*3) = 30 points. One of my opponents (Dominance, evacuation 'Industrial Revolution') had managed to obtain 8 engineers and titanium giving him 21 points (5 + 8*2). I think he was already playing quite good, so obtaining like 10-12 engineers seems quite hard.

So, my question is: how are these evacuations balanced?
- Do some of them just yield much higher rewards, but is this balanced by the effort you have to put into them?
- Do some paths have weaker evacuation rewards, but is their leader power (or other path abilities) then stronger (which seemed to be the case in our first play, my leader's ability for removing paradox tokens was usefull, but some leaders seemed stronger)?
- Should my opponent have focused on other areas to score points instead of his evacuation rewards?
- Was I just lucky/using a good strategy (I had bought a lab building for removing a warp tile, so from the 3rd era onwards I was using a neutronium warp tile and later in the turn removing it again. Also, I had build a building for obtaining a neutronium for 3 water)?
- Or should we focus more on the evacuation rewards of other players and prevent them from gaining them? (We did so in some cases, but getting a neutronium or an administrator when you really don't need them doesn't seem to be a wise action).

I would like to hear how other people play and how much they focus on the evacuation rewards.

Note: please don't misunderstand me. I'm not implying in any way that there are balance problems with this game. I love all the asymmetric abilities. We were just surprised how much difference there seems to be between evacuation rewards because these points are a big part of your end score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are balanced. I don't want to berate you as you seem sincere. The path of Salvation is hampered by the negative points generally derived from anomalies taken but I think are one of the easier factions to play. Blocking is definitely a viable option in Anachrony like in many games of late (Yokohama springs to mind here). You need to have a plan when you play any game. Sometimes you may need to revert to a modified plan depending on what your rivals are doing.

I suggest playing each faction yourself a few times to find out for yourself as to whether or not the factions are balanced.

Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played very well, and you probably had a little bit of luck to get those buildings. Building three Power Plants and still having time to amass 9 Neutronium is impressive.

One thing that's kind of special about Anachrony is that while it's a worker placement game, with the usual mechanisms for blocking opponents, it also allows for building up a pretty insane engine on your player board, where no one can block you. This means that you can't just block your opponents on a round by round basis. You have to watch out for what engine they might have in the works, and try to stop that before it's too late.

Most other worker placement games with individual player boards let you build only part of your engine there, and you'll still always be dependent on actions that can be blocked by others. Anachrony on the other hand will let you (potentially) become completely self-sufficient. This works extremely well with the theme, and is a good thing, since it sets Anachrony apart from other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
I think you played very well, and you probably had a little bit of luck to get those buildings. Building three Power Plants and still having time to amass 9 Neutronium is impressive.

One thing that's kind of special about Anachrony is that while it's a worker placement game, with the usual mechanisms for blocking opponents, it also allows for building up a pretty insane engine on your player board, where no one can block you. This means that you can't just block your opponents on a round by round basis. You have to watch out for what engine they might have in the works, and try to stop that before it's too late.

Most other worker placement games with individual player boards let you only build part of your engine there, and you'll still always be dependent on actions that can be blocked by others. Anachrony on the other hand will let you (potentially) become completely self-sufficient. This works extremely well with the theme, and is a good thing, since it sets Anachrony apart from other games.

The Manhattan Project has a similar concept to this with having a lot of buildings that are in front of you. But it also has a couple of mechanisms which mean others can influence your personal area (by disabling buildings or sneaking in them yourself!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:

I agree. Your impressive stockpile of Neutronium probably didnt help you much while you were building it up, while your opponents 8 Engineers were likely very useful the entire time, so well done to you!

Last time I played salvation, I got 27 points for evac (basically gearing my entire game to this goal) while my opponent got much less (15pts?) for evac, but they actually won because they made up more points elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander van der Drift
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies!

SpecularRain wrote:

That does indeed make it special. We were very pleasantly surprised with all the different building (and superproject) abilities. Where many other board games give weak abilities to buildings or abilities that just make other actions a little stronger like +2 food, this game really lets you create your own engine and make it stronger every era. Very impressed and looking forward to my next play.

I've just browsed through all the different building abilities and I think that I was indeed a little lucky with the lab building that lets a player remove a warp tile every era. Quite a strong ability I think since you basically get a free warp tile resource for free. Although without it I would probably have scored more points for time travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:

Fun fact, it's because I originally designed it as a tableau building game (think Race for the Galaxy). I just didn't want to let go of the 4 kind of workers, so it stayed a worker placement game Then Viktor & Richard came up with the exosuits and it made me glad for sticking it through

As for the topic of this thread?

a. for your first few games I strongly recommend playing A side of your player boards, as the assymetricities are more "exploitable" and if one player figures one side out better than the other it might lead to cries of "broken".
b. I somewhat dislike that there is a valid strategy of "just hoarding neutronium" for Salvation, and was strongly considering putting a cap on the evac points (20 or 25 VP), but your solution (warp + retrieve) both sounds creative and not OP (as you've given up about 8 VPs in warping ), and the final points were pretty close, so I am okay with how it turned out for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

TDaver wrote:
Then Viktor & Richard came up with the exosuits and it made me glad for sticking it through

David,

I gotta say, that after reading many similar comments by you across all the Anachrony forums, how impressed I am by the collaboration between you, Viktor, and Richard!

You are the designer, and this superb game will always be known as your creation, your baby. Still, your comments about how you and Viktor and Richard worked together to further tweak the design - to produce the final product that we enjoy today - is a great testament to great team that the three of you make!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustaf Gustafus
msg tools
If you played B-side, shouldn't the evac rewards be from the B-side path boards as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gustafus wrote:
If you played B-side, shouldn't the evac rewards be from the B-side path boards as well?

No, those are independent of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustaf Gustafus
msg tools
SpecularRain wrote:
Gustafus wrote:

No, those are independent of each other.

Huh, I had missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, if you take a look at page 6, under the Player Setup instructions, all the players collectively decide which side of the Player Board that all players will use (either all use side A, or all use side B).

Then, each player randomly selects which side of their own Path board to use. So some players might be using side A, while others might be using side B of their Path Board. Regardless, the side selection for the Path board is supposed to be random for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Yeah, if you take a look at page 6, under the Player Setup instructions, all the players collectively decide which side of the Player Board that all players will use (either all use side A, or all use side B).

Then, each player randomly selects which side of their own Path board to use. So some players might be using side A, while others might be using side B of their Path Board. Regardless, the side selection for the Path board is supposed to be random for each player.

Inside info: The instruction to randomise the Pathboard side is to simplify setup for beginners. Feel free to choose which side to use once you're familiar with the game.

Personal recommendation: Use the A-side for beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.