Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 questions: Starting cities + impossible tile placement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Question 1: Do you start the game with 1 city per player?
The 1st time I played the game, a standard game, we started by putting 1 city each, but I don't find any such rule under Setup.
So now I assume the players start with 0 cities (except the corporation that starts the game by putting 1 city). Is that correct?

Question 2: When you play a card/project that gives you a special tile to place, but with a placement requirement (e.g. putting a city between two cities, putting the tile next to your city, etc.), if the criterion cannot be met on the board, what should be done?
a) place the tile wherever you want (ignoring the asterisk note)
b) you lose the tile
c) you hold the tile until the criterion is met and place it then as an extra action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1 - No, nobody starts with a city although one of the corporations confers that ability

Question 2 - Can't be played, but can be held until it is playable (or patent traded for a buck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

1) Nobody starts with any cities, no.

2) If you can't fulfill the requirements, you can't play the card.

(Note however that you can still play a card that places a greenery tile and put it in any eligible hex if there aren't any cities already in play.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viximo wrote:
The 1st time I played the game, a standard game, we started by putting 1 city each, but I don't find any such rule under Setup.
So now I assume the players start with 0 cities (except the corporation that starts the game by putting 1 city). Is that correct?

In the solo game, there are neutral cities placed during setup. This might be part of the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viximo wrote:

Question 2: When you play a card/project that gives you a special tile to place, but with a placement requirement (e.g. putting a city between two cities, putting the tile next to your city, etc.), if the criterion cannot be met on the board, what should be done?
a) place the tile wherever you want (ignoring the asterisk note)
b) you lose the tile
c) you hold the tile until the criterion is met and place it then as an extra action

Just curios; What led you to placing city tiles in your first game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still play Noctis City even if it would break placement requirements. It must go on the Noctis location nothing else can go there) even if another city was built next to this space. Pretty sure that is the only exception, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
@Matthew Burgess:

The 1st time I played the game, the person teaching us the rules stated that and to me and the other two it kind of sounded logical (e.g. in Catan you also start with something)

But few days ago when I decided to buy the game and try it solo, I had to again through the rules to refresh them, plus to see how to do the solo gig, and when I saw nothing about initial city placement, I got ... curious.

Regarding Question 2:
Not being able to play a card giving a special tile placement, if you can't place the tile, sounds a bit weird.
The way I see it is that the tile placement is a bonus to the card, not a requirement (stated in the top left corner). Thus, if the card's requirements are ment, it should be playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viximo wrote:
Regarding Question 2:
Not being able to play a card giving a special tile placement, if you can't place the tile, sounds a bit weird.
The way I see it is that the tile placement is a bonus to the card, not a requirement (stated in the top left corner). Thus, if the card's requirements are ment, it should be playable.

Nope, in order to play a card, you must also be able to perform all immediate effects (in the lower half of the card, below the picture), with only the 3 general exceptions mentioned in the rulebook.
Most often, this comes up when a card causes you to lose e.g. power production (like most city cards, including Noctis City, do); you cannot play those unless you have the power prod to lose. Placing a tile works just the same - can't place the tile legally, then you can't play that card.

This is also mentioned (and errata'd, for 1st edition owners) in the official FAQ (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Playing a card - requirements
In order to play a card, you must 1) fulfill any requirement, 2) be able to perform all the direct effects of the card (with the 3 exceptions below), and 3) pay for the card.
A card may be played even if it
* raises a global parameter that is already maxed out,
* removes resources from any player and they don’t have enough or you don’t want to target them, or it
* adds resources (usually animals or microbes) to a card but you don’t have a card that can collect them. In all those cases, simply do as much as you can and disregard these parts.
1st edition errata: Page 10 in the rulebook states another exception; that you don’t need to be able to place a stated tile. This is wrong – any tile placed by the card must be placed unless it is an ocean tile and they are all placed already (per the global parameter exception mentioned above).

Danneq wrote:
You can still play Noctis City even if it would break placement requirements.

Yes, because Noctis City has special placement rules which override the general rules for city placement. That's why "ON THE RESERVED AREA" is written in ALL-CAPS - because it breaks the usual rules rather than just adding to them.

Quote:
Pretty sure that is the only exception, though.

Urbanized Area also breaks the city placement rules in that it has to be placed adjacent to 2+ cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply.

Urbanized Area is exactly the card that triggered me to ask the 2nd question.

Not allowed to play the card then if can't place a city between two other cities, got it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Palmieri
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Quote:
(Note however that you can still play a card that places a greenery tile and put it in any eligible hex if there aren't any cities already in play.)

You have to place a greenery tile next to a tile that you own if possible. If you don't own any tiles, or if there are no open locations next to any of your tiles, you can place it on any eligible hex. Cities are not relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.