Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I will hosts tournament after the Spiel in Essen at my local game store and now tinkering with rules for it.

The Structure is very easy:
30 mins prepare the game and explain it to people.
Then 1 game per evening 3-4 players per game
First week standard map, then next
Week Hellas and then elysium.

Question is about the setup.

+1 to every production
Drafting yes
Corporations?

Would It make sense to allow for every player also to play standard corporations if they want or only one or another?

I never had a feeling that standard ones are that strong.

What would You all ( also Jacob) suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the beginner corps make explaining the game much easier, because the players have more time to understand the way cards are played before they have to decide which cards they keep. They are about as powerful as the other corporations, so no problem so far. Players just have to decide whether they want a beginner corporation before they see their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that Fryxgames used a setup that I think would be great for a tournament format. All players play the same number of games in different combinations. Winners get 3 points, those within 10 points of the winner gets 2 points and those within 11-20 points after the winner gets 1 point. This way you can make a score table of qualifications and then make finals for the best players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lacroix
France
Grenoble
flag msg tools
For 1st game, begginer corp, +1 prod and base cards only will shorten the game, and make it easier. So it shouldn't be too long explaination included.

Then you can add corporations for 2nd game, and have the 3rd game with corporations, no prod and advance cards. You will therefore have a nice progression in rule complexity, so that new player don't get lost.

As for Helias and Elysium, I wouldn't recommand it, might be too confusing because of new awards and milestones. I would however have them draft cards for all 3 games, it is nearly mandatory in this game, it lose too much if you don't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to use the Corporate Era cards, you should probably start with 0 production. If you're looking to shorten the game, I'd consider using the Solar Phase variant (at the end of each Production Phase, first player raises one parameter or places an ocean tile, but no one receives TR or bonuses for that action), as it will be added to the game with Venus Next anyways. +1 production for everything makes the Corporate Era game too easy, and makes picking a strategy at the beginning of the game less important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest

Player must know the rules of the game.
Draft on.
Corporate era on.
4 players
A player can play with begginer corp if they choose too.
and variant: Deal 3 corps instead of just 2 to each player.

As ranking and points distributions, i have no opinion on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
My best advice is, use a standing system that rewards points scored. Players must have a motivation to maximize their own score, even when obviously not winning.

The problem is, you can't just do it straight by points scored because games of different length (in generations) will tend to fall in different score ranges. Straight points would encourage everyone to prolong the game and this would be a large distortion.

Perhaps a percent of winning score metric would work, plus bonuses for 1st and 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
I heard that Fryxgames used a setup that I think would be great for a tournament format. All players play the same number of games in different combinations. Winners get 3 points, those within 10 points of the winner gets 2 points and those within 11-20 points after the winner gets 1 point. This way you can make a score table of qualifications and then make finals for the best players.

Well, we don't actually have a practice for this yet, but I do think this is a good idea. Scores can scew depending on player Count and play style, but I feel this is not a concern because if you have fewer opponents, it is easier to win, so then it's only fair that the extra generations give higher scores making it more difficult to come close to the Winner. Overall, this should make scores pretty fair for runner-ups. Maybe a maximum of 5 VP difference for 2 points and 10 for 1 points would be better because otherwise it might be too easy to get 2 points.
A playstyle that prolongs the game should be discouraged for the sake of the tournament, and would not benefit any runner-ups, meaning that they have an incentive to finish the game as quickly as possible. Leading player might want to prolong the game to increase the lead, but that gives the other players Another chance ot Catch up too, so I think it is not all that important.

If you plan to include new players in the tournament (which it sounds like) then a 30 minute explanation first is good. This would also mean that the first game should be played standard (+1 production for all players, no Corporate Era cards), and the new players get Beginner Corporations for the first game, while experienced players get the normal choice of 2 Corporations. No drafting.
The subsequent rounds should also use the standard game with no draft if you want to have time enough for a few rounds. Now no-one is allowed to use Beginner Corporations.
If you have lots of time, then Corporate Era and draft could be used from this second round and forward.

It is usually a good idea to have a time limit in a tournament. For a standard game, I suggest allowing 2h and Corporate Era 3h, with 30 min between games to finish up, decide new scores and 'pairings', and set up next game.
If players are not finished in time, you could allow them to finish the generation as if it was the last, and tally up scores from there, but award 1 point less than normal (Winner gets 2, those within 5 VP get 1).

Another idea is if you have timers, players can set a timer on a slow player's turn, and disallowing new actions after 1 minute (beginning the second action at 57 seconds is OK, but if you haven't even begun your first action by 60 seconds, then you have automatically passed and are out of the generation. This rule could be invoked when there are only 30 minutes left of the allowed game time. This could also be applied if there is only one player still deciding on cards in the research phase: if that player doesn't decide in time, he/she can't buy any of the 4 cards at all.
Hopefully, there will be no need to invoke this rule, but some (AP)players seem to need this pressure, and it wouldn't be fair to other players to allow someone to stall a game or the whole tournament.

These are just ideas, and you have to decide what will work for you.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input on this!

It will be only 3 games , 1 played on one evening (in 2 a week period) and probably 2 parallel with 3-5 players.

We have a plenty of time and yes I did some math and the funny thing is
There are only 2 possible systems whithout betraying the players points or so Called effort.

The first one would Be giving points depending on the places of the players. The second one would be counting all points of all sessions sum up for the winner .

Up until now I am favoring the version with giving some extra
Points for places.
It favors the people who play longer and maybe have more player counts.
Also it gives players with low scores a
Better chance over the whole sessions to catch up.

However I like also the idea of giving extra points if the player is in range for the first one .

Question here is now what about draws of some players ? Should the tie braker be the points got in all games counted or something else ?

Example given one player is always first and 2 others are in 5 vp range every time who would be then then the second place?

@jacob: thanks I will make a report in December when it is over . I will try
Get the expansions at Spiel ( these will be the prices ) and food for tournament will be pieces of the planets in our tummy-solar -system : snickers, Milky Way , mars and bounty ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.