Star Wars: Rebellion – Rise of the Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Several rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi!

I played my first game with my friend recently and hopefully will be playing a second later today so wanted to clarify some rules before starting. I've had a look around the forums and can't find some of these, but apologies if there are any repeats here and thanks for the help

1) Can you use the Superlaser Online advanced tactics card for a Death Star Under Construction? The card shows a picture of a completed Death Star so we assumed no - but then we realised the whole "That thing's operational!" means there's a fairly good thematic justification for using it.

2) Can you still only score 1 single "Start of Refresh Phase" objective per round? The first time this came up my opponent had played Rebel Cell so he could discard, but he wanted to know if he was able to would he also be able to play a second objective and score that as well? It came up again in the late game when he played Show No Fear - I assumed that you can't score Rebel Cell and a second objective, but you could score Show No Fear and a second because you're not actually using a card.

3) Do Krennic's Finest need to be in the area to play Sweep the Area? I got that on turn 2 and set it up on Correlia for when he wanted to sabotage me, but I felt it annoying having to keep them in reserve all the time.

4) I'm sure I've got this rule right but it feels like a nuisance - if you use a leader's ability to re-roll combat dice, you HAVE to reroll all at once? For example a leader with three tactics gets three rerols, but you can't reroll one and then save the other two for the next round of combat? Also if the leader in question has Yoda attached, Yoda counts completely separately so you COULD use your leader rerolls and then later use Yoda to reroll once more?

5) Lightsabers rolled by the attacking player are useless as you can't remove damage that won't be assigned until the defender rolls - can you use lightsabers rolled in the second round of combat to heal damage sustained in the first round? Or are they still useless?

Thanks for help and I may add more questions after my second game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
1. The top part of the Death Star's advanced tactic card can only be used by the completed DS, since that is the icon printed on it. Moff Jerjerrod's card "Fully Operational" can be used by a DSUC, fulfilling the thematic moment you brought up.

2. Yes, you can only play one Start of Refresh Phase objective per round. Rebel Cell says you may discard an objective instead of playing one this round, so that's clear. For Show No Fear, I just got a clarification from Corey that when you place the target marker, you are playing that objective so you can't play another for reputation that round. However, when you get reputation for SNF on subsequent rounds, you can play another objective card, since SNF is already in play.

3. Krennic's Finest do not need to be in the system to play Sweep the Area (or Hidden Facility). This is clarified at the end of the expansion rule sheet.

4. All re-rolls from leader's tactic values must be done at once - if you have a tactics value of 3 for the theater, you must roll up to 3 dice all at once, you can't re-roll 1 die three times, for instance. However, you get this re-roll ability for every round of combat as long as your leader remains in the system. The Yoda re-roll is a separate action that can be used before or after the leader re-roll, I believe, though I'm not sure the rules specifically address this.

5. Lightsaber heals can only remove damage already assigned to a unit. For the attacker in the first round, the only damage units might have would be from tactics cards. This damage can be removed with sabers, but if there is no damage they are useless. You can heal damage assigned in previous rounds from any units that survived the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
omnis vestra substructio est serva nobis
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. The card states it must be played with a Death Sare, not a Death Star under construction.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/223694-death-...

2) If you meet the conditions for multiple objectives at the start of the refresh phase, you can cash in any you have qualified for. Edit: Completely not true (as others pointed out below). You can cash in one during each combat, and another during the start of the refresh phase. So, you could cash in a lot during a turn if you had a lot of combat related objectives. But Refresh phase? Just one. My bad.

3) don't know

4) The leaders rerill is per attack, so on each attack roll, you will be able to use it. You cannot save your refills to carry over to the next time you roll- but since you get the re-roll each time, it's not an issue.

5) You can only remove damage with the lightsabers that already exists. You cannot prevent damage. As the attacker, this means your lightsaber rolls could only remove damage received from a tactic card. If your ships have no damage and you roll lightsabers, they are wasted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for clearing that up - I think we'd agreed that the leader rerolls were signifcantly worse than the previous leader tactics system, but we didn't realised they were refreshed for every round of combat, we thought you could only use it once for the whole battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormpigeon wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up - I think we'd agreed that the leader rerolls were signifcantly worse than the previous leader tactics system, but we didn't realised they were refreshed for every round of combat, we thought you could only use it once for the whole battle.

Don't think it was clarified yet, but you do need to do all your rerolls at once, if possible. If you have 3 blanks, and 3 rerolls available, then you must roll all 3 simultaneously. You couldn't roll one at a time. This is an important rule distinction if you have a variety of dice colors you're rerolling.

Really need a lightsaber roll and you have 1 black and 2 green dice showing blanks? Yep. You can't try to roll the black dice 3 times, hoping for a saber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Wilkes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just remembered another one - the rules state that the player who's turn it is resolves their tactic card first, except when the other player's card cancels theirs or if the effect of the card is to switch the order of play.

In one of our first space engagements I played Entrapment (the Star Destroyer effect - cancel the opponents card and then play another tactics card) whereas my opponent chose Outrun Them - cancel my card.

The way we read this was that he would have cancelled mine if it was anything OTHER THAN cancelling his - but since both cancelled the effect, then as the attacking player I went first, thus cancelling his cancel and still allowing me to play a second tactics card.

Is that right? Or should I not have been able to play a second as my card was cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
If the Defender plays a cancel card, that resolves first, regardless of what the current player plays. Also note that Entrapment is the Interdictor's card, not the Star Destroyer's card.

murphzero wrote:
2) If you meet the conditions for multiple objectives at the start of the refresh phase, you can cash in any you have qualified for.

This is not true. The base rules are clear that you can only play one objective per refresh phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murphzero wrote:
1) No. The card states it must be played with a Death Sare, not a Death Star under construction.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/223694-death-...

2) If you meet the conditions for multiple objectives at the start of the refresh phase, you can cash in any you have qualified for.

3) don't know

4) The leaders rerill is per attack, so on each attack roll, you will be able to use it. You cannot save your refills to carry over to the next time you roll- but since you get the re-roll each time, it's not an issue.

5) You can only remove damage with the lightsabers that already exists. You cannot prevent damage. As the attacker, this means your lightsaber rolls could only remove damage received from a tactic card. If your ships have no damage and you roll lightsabers, they are wasted.

You can only play ONE Objective card per combat and/or Refresh Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormpigeon wrote:
Hi!

I played my first game with my friend recently and hopefully will be playing a second later today so wanted to clarify some rules before starting. I've had a look around the forums and can't find some of these, but apologies if there are any repeats here and thanks for the help

1) Can you use the Superlaser Online advanced tactics card for a Death Star Under Construction? The card shows a picture of a completed Death Star so we assumed no - but then we realised the whole "That thing's operational!" means there's a fairly good thematic justification for using it.

2) Can you still only score 1 single "Start of Refresh Phase" objective per round? The first time this came up my opponent had played Rebel Cell so he could discard, but he wanted to know if he was able to would he also be able to play a second objective and score that as well? It came up again in the late game when he played Show No Fear - I assumed that you can't score Rebel Cell and a second objective, but you could score Show No Fear and a second because you're not actually using a card.

3) Do Krennic's Finest need to be in the area to play Sweep the Area? I got that on turn 2 and set it up on Correlia for when he wanted to sabotage me, but I felt it annoying having to keep them in reserve all the time.

4) I'm sure I've got this rule right but it feels like a nuisance - if you use a leader's ability to re-roll combat dice, you HAVE to reroll all at once? For example a leader with three tactics gets three rerols, but you can't reroll one and then save the other two for the next round of combat? Also if the leader in question has Yoda attached, Yoda counts completely separately so you COULD use your leader rerolls and then later use Yoda to reroll once more?

5) Lightsabers rolled by the attacking player are useless as you can't remove damage that won't be assigned until the defender rolls - can you use lightsabers rolled in the second round of combat to heal damage sustained in the first round? Or are they still useless?

Thanks for help and I may add more questions after my second game

For number 1, do you mean the Death Star's Superlaser Blast tactic card or the Superlaser Online mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
Stormpigeon wrote:
Just remembered another one - the rules state that the player who's turn it is resolves their tactic card first, except when the other player's card cancels theirs or if the effect of the card is to switch the order of play.

Just as a quick aside: the defender resolves their tactic first only if it uses the word "cancel". Switching the order of attacks doesn't change the order of resolution for anything else in the combat, and there's no rule about the defender resolving their tactic first if the effect is to switch order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Bobb Feta wrote:
1. The top part of the Death Star's advanced tactic card can only be used by the completed DS, since that is the icon printed on it. Moff Jerjerrod's card "Fully Operational" can be used by a DSUC, fulfilling the thematic moment you brought up.

2. Yes, you can only play one Start of Refresh Phase objective per round. Rebel Cell says you may discard an objective instead of playing one this round, so that's clear. For Show No Fear, I just got a clarification from Corey that when you place the target marker, you are playing that objective so you can't play another for reputation that round. However, when you get reputation for SNF on subsequent rounds, you can play another objective card, since SNF is already in play.

3. Krennic's Finest do not need to be in the system to play Sweep the Area (or Hidden Facility). This is clarified at the end of the expansion rule sheet.

4. All re-rolls from leader's tactic values must be done at once - if you have a tactics value of 3 for the theater, you must roll up to 3 dice all at once, you can't re-roll 1 die three times, for instance. However, you get this re-roll ability for every round of combat as long as your leader remains in the system. The Yoda re-roll is a separate action that can be used before or after the leader re-roll, I believe, though I'm not sure the rules specifically address this.

5. Lightsaber heals can only remove damage already assigned to a unit. For the attacker in the first round, the only damage units might have would be from tactics cards. This damage can be removed with sabers, but if there is no damage they are useless. You can heal damage assigned in previous rounds from any units that survived the damage.

About part 5 where you say you can assign damage to any units. I thought red sword icons could only heal red damage and black sword icons only heal black damage, is this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, damage can only be removed from ships matching the die color of the saber.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.