United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt and I came up with this version at Origins 2016, but it's a LOT more complicated than the base game of Seikastu, so we decided to release it here, for fans who might be interested. It plays 4 in about 30-40 minutes.

When playing with four players, two players will play by the same scoring rules as in the standard game. The other two players will reverse those rules, so that they will score flowers based on adjacency with other flowers after playing a tile, and they will score the largest set of birds in their rows at the end of the game. Two players will score from one of the three views/pagodas, and the other two players will score from another view. No players will use the third view. At each view, one of the players will play the standard scoring rules and one will play the reversed scoring rules.

To set up the 4-player game, set the initial three tiles as in a 3-player game, and add a 4th tile so that the tiles make a Y shape, with the long leg of the Y being in the view of the unused pagoda.

For turn order, have players alternate both scoring orders and views, as follows:

P1: Birds then Flowers, Pagoda 1
P2: Flowers then Birds, Pagoda 2
P3: Birds then Flowers, Pagoda 2
P4: Flowers then Birds, Pagoda 1

If you wish, you can give each player a koi pond in addition to their two starting tiles. If you do, players should not draw a tile after placing a koi tile. You can also just play random draw, as per the normal game rules.

That's it! All the other rules are the same. I hope you enjoy this 4-player advanced variant. Thanks to
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for helping us iron out the details on these rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a copy of the game so this question is based purely on reading the rulebook: would this Expert Variant possibly be the basis for an alternate solo variant - i.e. you score for adjacent birds while virtual opponents score for adjacent flowers, and vice versa for counting rows at end of game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly possible! We didn't try anything using that concept in the solo design, but it sounds like there's an opportunity to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sloan Lee
United States
Farmers Branch
Texas
flag msg tools
"What is the soul of a man? ... ain't nothing but a burning light."
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.