Bradley Davis
United States
Wauconda
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've been buying dungeon crawlers to paint minis but have only just started to play them. I have Mice and Mystics (plus expansions), Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Star Wars: Imperial Assault, and, if you count it, Dungeon Fighter. I also have quite a bit of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

I have a sealed copy of Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and am considering whether I actually want to keep it on my shelves. Other than the bits in the box, does the game offer anything substantial that I couldn't get from my other games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does not add anything to the dungeon crawler field. The others that you mention do it much better. I think the only "advantage" is not needing an overlord.

I found the D&D system to be quite bland and old school. No excitement just a bunch of dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you play pen/paper DnD, the mini's are worth it, but the game itself, meh. As bryden mentioned, it doesn't add much and can be quite boring at times.

Stick with the others, and if you don't want an overlord, download the Descent app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found that descent 2.0 is the one that will clash with the D&D family of games if you are planning an evening or day of dungeon crawling.
However if you really love these types of games for the miniatures and do not mind the set up time then the D&D games have very cool one off scenarios/quests to play, plus those awesome classic D&D figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Fraser
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the range of crawlers you have already offer as good or more than what LoD offers... sell it and get Sword and Sorcery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMirefox wrote:
Other than the bits in the box, does the game offer anything substantial that I couldn't get from my other games?

The value of the D&D boardgames is not in what they add, but in what they "subtract". Their strength is their simplicity. If you just want to explore a dungeon and kill some monsters with a bit of tactics, without worrying about remembering fiddly rules, they are perfect. And they don't require a GM/overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people have different tastes. I super hated the dungeons and dragons adventure system games. They're just really boring and not exciting to me. Some people love them, so it's really up to your personal tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Thus I tried to provide a small objective analysis, explaining why some (many) people love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Lords of Waterdeep for the first time, and while I definitely enjoyed it, I have no doubt that there are better games out there to scratch this itch. I also guess it obviously isn't a dungeon crawl. The only dungeon crawl I've ever played was HeroQuest, and that's when I was little, obviously. I haven't had a chance to play any newer ones since joining the hobby jumping down the rabbit hole, but I'm jonesing to get my hands on/ play Gloomhaven!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMirefox wrote:
I've been buying dungeon crawlers to paint minis but have only just started to play them. I have Mice and Mystics (plus expansions), Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), Star Wars: Imperial Assault, and, if you count it, Dungeon Fighter. I also have quite a bit of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set.

I have a sealed copy of Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game and am considering whether I actually want to keep it on my shelves. Other than the bits in the box, does the game offer anything substantial that I couldn't get from my other games?
I think it's most similar to Mice & Mystics (I' m not 100% sure about this, though, since I haven't played M&M yet).

The advantage of D&D over Descent & Imperial Assault is that it doesn't require a 'GM player'.

I don't consider Dungeon Fighter and Pathfinder 'Dungeoncrawlers' (and also hate both games).

I always enjoyed playing the D&D ADventure system games. My only criticism is the low difficulty: I typically beat every scenario in my first try - except for 'Castle Ravenloft' which remains my favorite for this reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have another option since you painted all those miniatures up, is use then for a miniature war game.

Check out Whack & Slaughter since it free. But there are many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.