Subject: Dollar sign in game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derthiel Derthiel
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I dont know but it was probably said already that this game, even though its fantasy land, is taking place in europe and every faction is making different value of currency that if valid for all people in europe. Why do we have dollar signs in game. Shoul we not have a different made up currency or sign for this purpose? I know its late and game is already out. But could be good idea for 2nd edition reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because function is the most important thing, and it's immediately recognized to most people in the world as currency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kinne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree that a Dollar symbol is a quick way of showing that it's a monetary value.

However, money in Scythe is actually more about VPs (victory points) than actual buying power, so maybe it could be renamed.

We ended up calling it "gold" rather than "dollars" to make it more generic. After all, the gold standard would most likely be still active in the world of Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derthiel: We're actually on the 8th printing of Scythe at this point.

Jakub and I discussed in detail which symbol we should use for currency in Scythe, and we decided that the $ sign was the clearest symbol. Each coin in Scythe's fictional 1920s universe is based on a different faction--there is no universal currency (the Euro didn't exist yet). Yes, we could have created a new symbol, but it would have been yet another symbol for players to remember. We had the choice between making something up (which would have confused a lot of people) or using a universally recognized symbol for money. We chose the latter, especially since $ is used to represent currency for a number of real-world countries. This decision was well informed by discussions with backers and finalized during the Kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
A little-known fact about the 1920's Europa: The "$" sign actually refers to the platinum-plated coins the Factory used while it was operational. Those coins spread all around the continent, often being used side by side with the local currency. I can't recall how they pronounced the name of the coins, but it didn't sound anything like "dollars". Maybe Jamey can fill in what the name was.

EDIT: Some typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Flink
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We simply call them "coins".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
jameystegmaier wrote:
Derthiel: We're actually on the 8th printing of Scythe at this point.

Hey, congrats! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a long and entertaining thread here that discusses this at great and unnecessary length
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While some games I own have other names for the coins (ie. denari, etc.) - for ease of explanation to my friends (canadians), we always revert to calling them dollars or coins. Just easier that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct term is "spacebucks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:
The correct term is "spacebucks".

Not "mega-space-quidbucks"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imsevimse wrote:

What do you call the coins, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaus O K wrote:
Imsevimse wrote:

What do you call the coins, then?

Coins.
So “I get 2 coins” (as in a value of 2) and “we have the metal coins” are both things we say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I think that in the story Tesla came back to Eurasia with Ayn Rand, so they used $.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.