Dark Moon: Shadow Corporation» Forums » General

Subject: Amputations and the Company Man rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Hauk
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm going to ignore how bizarre a solution amputation is to people you think are trying to kill you.

If you are playing the Company Man module, why would you ever try to amputate someone when its a minor hindrance to the infected and gives you a reasonable chance you just be unable to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I heard Buonocore mention that the company man can win solo if they are able to amputate an arm and then escape... I think.

The amputation sort of fits theme wise, but definitely fits with the dice removal mechanic. Thematically, I would guess that the amputation idea would have been put forth by the company as a "solution" to stop the infected while still getting a sample back to earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd argue that the permanent loss of a die is not a 'minor' hindrance for an infected player. The die is still lost after they reveal, at which point they'd only have one die for the rest of the game. That's significant.

However, I agree that it seems like a big risk with the chance of a Company Man being in play. If an infected player is amputated, it means that the only way the Uninfected can win is by evacuation on the shuttle. But it seems like the Infected and the Company Man would vote against a Shuttle Take Off on principle, unless they mistakenly thought one of the people on the shuttle were Infected. Which means the Uninfected wouldn't have enough votes to make it happen even if they figured out who everyone was.

I'm really interested to see how this all actually plays out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the recommendations in the rules is that if you're playing with the Company Man, you should also be playing with the Threats module. And the most prevalent Threat card you can get is the one that forces you to call an Amputation vote on someone and vote red. Basically, there's a bunch of game mechanisms designed to FORCE amputation votes to happen. There are task cards and event cards and final event cards that make amputations much more likely as well. Even if you're doing everything in your power to avoid amputations, there's still a good chance they'll happen.

Also, the lab can be damaged, making it so that you can't call a quarantine vote, but you can ALWAYS amputate someone. Nothing ever blocks that action. When you've got a known infected on the loose and the lab is damaged, cutting their arm off will start to look pretty appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Hauk
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
If amputation is forced on a game with a company man and they actually hit an infected , that just removes the primary win condition for the uninfected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting, Evan! I'm really looking forward to seeing the dynamic these new mechanisms create.

It still seems incredibly risky for the Uninfected to amputate if there's a Company Man in play, but I suppose that's why by rule the Company Man is generally unlikely to be in play. Without a Company Man, amputating one of the Infected would be a major boost. With a Company Man, it severely reduces your chance of winning.

I also think that the alternate end game of the shuttle is interesting. It makes it MUCH more important for at least one of the Infected to remain hidden throughout the game. Presuming there's no Company Man, if the infected are revealed early it should be trivial for the Uninfected to load up the shuttle and win. It almost seems like a 'short circuit' for a game where the Infected are found out early, thus removing the driving tension of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Very interesting, Evan! I'm really looking forward to seeing the dynamic these new mechanisms create.

It still seems incredibly risky for the Uninfected to amputate if there's a Company Man in play, but I suppose that's why by rule the Company Man is generally unlikely to be in play. Without a Company Man, amputating one of the Infected would be a major boost. With a Company Man, it severely reduces your chance of winning.

I also think that the alternate end game of the shuttle is interesting. It makes it MUCH more important for at least one of the Infected to remain hidden throughout the game. Presuming there's no Company Man, if the infected are revealed early it should be trivial for the Uninfected to load up the shuttle and win. It almost seems like a 'short circuit' for a game where the Infected are found out early, thus removing the driving tension of the game.

I designed the evac shuttle specifically to discourage people from revealing early as Infected. With the shuttle in play, you CAN'T reveal, otherwise you're correct - it would be trivial for the Uninfected team to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.