3 Seeds: Reap Where You Sow» Forums » General

Subject: Events difficult to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently played a two player game and the event cards were surprisingly hard to acquire. Just to clarify, you only get ONE event card per opponent crop that is scored with one or more of your seeds? Is there a reason you don't get a number of event cards equal to the number of seeds on the crop? To me, event cards are the main strategic item and so while playing I felt like my opponent was getting all the same crop types and gaining the lead while I felt helpless.

So if the above rule is correct, what are some strategies for countering opponents who keep getting crops with bonus synergy? My issue is, in order to get more event cards to try and swap, they need to score the crop, which gives them the bonus. Am I missing a strategy or rule? Maybe I didn't play my events right? I just wish I received more events!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Buhr
msg tools
designer
Thanks for your question, Tyler!

When an opponent's crop is scored and you have any number of seeds on that crop, you get one Event card in addition to the points earned by having seed on that crop.

It sounds like your opponent's strategy was just to play seeds on their own crops, is that right? If that's the case, they should be running out of Event cards pretty quick and not getting any for the completion of their own crops. The only way to get event cards is by playing on another's crop.

Regarding why players only get one event card, I felt that if players received Event cards equal to the number of seeds they played, it would make playing on other's crops much more powerful than playing one's own crop. In short, it felt more balanced with just receiving one event card. The theme of the game is finding that balance of playing on the crops of others versus your own.

A few strategies to consider:
-Conserve your starting Event cards (you get 2 in a two player game) and hold out for a good crop swap (if you don't have a crop swap Event card in hand, you can discard any two event cards to perform a crop swap).

-Time Harvest swaps well. Try to find low Harvest numbers and then attempt to position yourself to be able to complete one of their crops on your turn. On that turn, you could swap Harvest numbers to ensure they have the lower number and then put the last one or two seeds needed for that crop. This will immensely lower the harvest points from the opponent's crop. This strategy is good if they are loading up heavily on their crop.

-Load up on their crops to grab the most harvest points you can. Gaining these harvest points will buffer against the gain from the crop bonuses.

-If your opponent is loading up on 7 seed crop (worth 3 bonus points), aside from a few Event cards, they cannot finish those crops without your help. So you can try to hold off on giving them the seeds they need to complete those crops (but pay attention to whether they are holding onto Event cards or not...they may have an Event card that will allow them to complete it without your help with an "Early Harvest" or "Wild Seed").

The two player game definitely has some different dynamics going on than in games with more players, but it's all about balancing how much you're sowing into your opponents versus yourself.

Does that help? Does that make sense?

Feel free to clarify if I misunderstood anything.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes it does. I think one thing that slipped us up was we kept forgetting to check/swap the harvest cards and so that strategy wasn't as emphasized. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Buhr
msg tools
designer
You're welcome! Happy to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.