Subject: Damaged components - rendezvous rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm playing solo. If I am testing rendezvous advancement and I draw a major failure then I understand I need to pay $5m to remove the failure and choose a component to be damaged (which remains damaged until the following year).

Then I assume I am safe to continue testing rendezvous in the same year multiple times - so long as there are enough components on the spacecraft to sustain one round of possible damage in that year? (on the basis x 2 damage to a single component destroys it)

Also if a spacecraft has a damaged component I assume I can manoeuvre the spacecraft so long as the damage isn't to the rocket that is active in that manoeuvre?

Help appreciated, many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carrots67 wrote:
If I am testing rendezvous advancement and I draw a major failure then I understand I need to pay $5m to remove the failure and choose a component to be damaged (which remains damaged until the following year).
Damage is only repaired automatically if the damaged components are on Earth, otherwise correct.
Quote:

Then I assume I am safe to continue testing rendezvous in the same year multiple times - so long as there are enough components on the spacecraft to sustain one round of possible damage in that year? (on the basis x 2 damage to a single component destroys it)

Mostly yes, add that you can rendezvous even if all components are damaged at the risk of losing the entire spacecraft.
Quote:

Also if a spacecraft has a damaged component I assume I can manoeuvre the spacecraft so long as the damage isn't to the rocket that is active in that manoeuvre?
Yes, that's correct.
Quote:

Help appreciated, many thanks
You're welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple errors:

- you do not NEED to pay 5$ to remove the failure. You can just shuffle it under.

- you may not discard a damaged component as a second 'damage'. You damage functional components only. If that is no longer possible, the whole space craft is destroyed.

The rest is right. You may test Rendezvous multiple times a turn (that includes that you may do it more than once per year), and you may move damaged components in 0 difficulty or automatic manoeuvres as well as with functioning rockets or Ion Thrusters.

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that this might be the one game where any thread entitled "damaged components" is simply after some rules clarification or tactical suggestions, and is not talking about problems with broken game pieces. It might well be the antithesis of Starfarers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all,

I think I'm clear now, that once all the spacecraft components have been damaged once, then one further damage outcome will destroy the entire spacecraft (not just one component).

Good suggestion about shuffling the outcomes back in to the pack rather than paying to discard - this is a possibility I had overlooked but will do if I am short of funds.

I now feel suitably prepared to do my first Mercury mission - I'm using Rendezvous and Ions for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck and feel free to tell us how it went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrots
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi All, the mission to Mercury(and back with a sample) took ages to plan but it went and well in the end. I posted a report on the session forum and it's being reviewed - hopefully it will be there shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to ask for one more clarification.

If a minor failure at Rendezvous damages a component on one of the two spacecrafts attempting the rendezvous and the there is a subsequent minor failure, does only the previously damaged spaceship get destroyed? or do both ships involved in the Rendezvous get destroyed? Since the action failed it is still two spaceships, not one.

Edit: From re-reading the thread, I understand that one component involved gets damaged for each minor failure, until there is only one undamaged component on each spaceship. The next minor failure will damage the last component on one of the two spaceships, thus destroying that spaceship and leaving the other with all but one damaged component.

I guess my question remains in regards to a major failure though: Does one or both spacecraft get destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to damage one component of one of the two involved space craft. If that is no longer possible, you have to destroy all involved space craft. Note that you cannot choose to destroy one instead of damaging a component of the other one, if that is still possible.

E.g. a capsule and a supply as separate space craft. You draw a minor failure as you attempt to rendezvous these two space craft. You cannot choose to destroy the supply (and it cannot be damaged), so you have to damage the capsule. If you try again and draw another failure, both are destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
You have to damage one component of one of the two involved space craft. If that is no longer possible, you have to destroy all involved space craft. Note that you cannot choose to destroy one instead of damaging a component of the other one, if that is still possible.

E.g. a capsule and a supply as separate space craft. You draw a minor failure as you attempt to rendezvous these two space craft. You cannot choose to destroy the supply (and it cannot be damaged), so you have to damage the capsule. If you try again and draw another failure, both are destroyed.

So two damaged single component spaceships, (say two damaged probes, to reduce the ambiguity that supplies can add to the example,) can attempt to Rendezvous, but a minor failure will destroy both of them, not just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.