Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stun Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Tzakis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm reading the rule book through since my pledge is supposedly arriving tomorrow.

Page 38 of the rule book discusses stunning an enemy mob and any enemy stunned must spend its next activation getting up, but I would like to know for sure...to me this is a really round-about way of saying any stunned enemy has to skip their COUNTERATTACK activation getting up, then they get to activate in the Enemies' phase as normal. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they counter-attack, then they spend the counter-attack getting up.

If the hero gets out of LOS and into shadow, then the enemy does nothing in the enemy phase (assuming no-one else pokes it later in the turn, causing another counter-attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
If the hero gets out of LOS and into shadow, then the enemy does nothing in the enemy phase (assuming no-one else pokes it later in the turn, causing another counter-attack.

To clarify, they do nothing during the enemy phase except get up. Enemies still activate during the enemy phase even if all heroes are out of LOS and in shadow. However if they're still stunned, this activation will only stand them up.

What you meant was:
Quote:
If the hero gets out of LOS and into shadow, then the enemy does nothing in the enemy's counterattack (assuming no-one else pokes it later in the turn, causing another counter-attack.

More to OP's question, yes, a stun usually just wastes the enemy's counter attack. But through some clever positioning, you can extend that stun all the way to the enemy's phase and make it waste that activation. This isn't even all that hard to pull off as stunned actors are ignored when moving, so heroes can freely leave a zone with a stunned enemy to go hide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can target the boss if you stun the mob and remove their magic item from play. That can be gold for high hp mobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Tzakis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
How do you extend the stun into their regular Enemies' phase activation? Don't they automatically get a counter-attack phase if they were attacked, which they would spend getting up, then even if you hide, the creature/mob still gets to move it just wouldn't be towards the hero that stunned them if he gets out of LOS and into Shadow.

The creature/mob would still move towards the hero with the most XP in a light square or towards the entrance/exit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex, an attacked Enemy only gets a Counter-Attack Activation if the Hero that attacked them is in a Light Zone or in Line of Sight. They do not get an Activation at all if the Hero did properly hide. Provided no other Heroes attack them without also hiding away, they will stand up in their Activation in the Enemies' Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
If a mob of 3 gets stunned, but the player was only directly attacking 1 minion, would it be true that, the attacked minion stands up on its counter attack, but the other 2 don't counter attack (because they were not directly attacked) and will stand up on the enemy phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyoptics wrote:
If a mob of 3 gets stunned, but the player was only directly attacking 1 minion, would it be true that, the attacked minion stands up on its counter attack, but the other 2 don't counter attack (because they were not directly attacked) and will stand up on the enemy phase?

Although a Mob has several Actors, they are a single Enemy. It is the Enemy that counter-attacks, not separate Actors within it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
polyoptics wrote:

Although a Mob has several Actors, they are a single Enemy. It is the Enemy that counter-attacks, not separate Actors within it.

In the same way, you don't attack a single Minion but the whole Mob, even if it deals Wounds to a single Minion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
ahh I see -- So during the counter attack, each mob member gets to attack. Definitely makes things a bit more dangerous.

On a side note, one thing I liked about my broken rules was that the mobs would tend to split up, where one minion would move forward to chase in a counter attack, while the others would be left behind and possibly split up again to a different target later due to LOS and priority.

It made for an interesting board where there were multiple single minions from mobs, off on their own battles or wandering the dungeon. I'll miss that aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you still don't quite get it, Brian. The Mob also attacks as a single Enemy. The number of Minions in the Mob is irrelevant when they are attacking (unless they have a special ability on their card of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
msg tools
You're right, and I understand now. Thanks Clipper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Colard
Belgium
Ath
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When a mob it's stunned, is it possible to assign the hits of the current attack to the boss ... and probably kill him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angel40k wrote:
When a mob it's stunned, is it possible to assign the hits of the current attack to the boss ... and probably kill him?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.