Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Stone Age» Forums » General

Subject: Do SA players get upset if someone refers to the resources by color instead of name? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One game, I got lazy and just used the color instead, such as...

I'll build that hut with 1 brown, 2 red, and 1 gray
"You mean 1 wood, 2 brick, and 1 stone?"
Same difference
"...."

It's like talking to the Starbucks cashier saying you want a small, mocha blended iced coffee, but they insist that you call it a "tall mocha frappacino". I'm not proud to say that some of them getting annoyed at that ended up being a nice bonus, as some of the SA fans I've run into go to lengths how SA is a superior game to Lords Of Waterdeep, and/or more thematic because of the shapely resources vs. cubes.

Another gamer I talked to noticed the same thing with one of his games. He wasn't trying to piss them off. He felt 'by color' was sufficient. 2 other games with different groups, they were indifferent about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
I don't get upset. Totally understand why this happens. I do prefer to use the thematic names when available. But depending on how pasted on the theme is this might fall quickly by the wayside, however.

But in a similar vein I will admit I don't like it when a player refers to money/coins in an ancient, fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise non-modern themed game as "dollars" or "bucks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, furious. Apoplectic even.

Just don't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, really.

In Stone Age, at least the wood looks like timber, bricks look like bricks (though I think they're technically "clay"), stone looks like stones, and gold looks like gold bars. No real reason to use the color.

In Waterdeep, a wizard looks like a purple cube. A priest looks like a white cube. No real reason to call them what they actually are, as nothing about them really makes you think of the actual thing they represent.

In 1775, I just usually say blue/white and red/yellow, though I do tend to note the French, Hessians, and Native Americans by their actual faction name.

However, if one more person calls bricks "rock" in Catan, I'm going to lose it. They're literally called bricks in the rules and they are a picture of a brick on the card. Can't count the number of trades that fell apart: "Oh, no, I wasn't offering you ore, I was offering you rock!" Well, then, offer the right name for the thing, at least, so I don't have to waste five minutes on intentionally misleading (and erroneous!) semantics. angry

I'd say use colors when pushing cubes, and names when pushing more well-defined shapes (or cards with pictures, unless the color scheme is SUPER clear).

Seems simple and direct enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a euro, resource management game. Almost by definition theme is secondary. Call something bricks, rubies, blood, or just simply "red." It's all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robertson
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on the group. One of the guys I play with is color blind and tends to get annoyed when players use the color instead of what the item actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
It always makes me blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
You monster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for my own personal enjoyment, the next time I play a resource-euro, not only will I refer to the resources by colour, but I'll also add -ie to them, just to create that childish feel that will make heads explode.

"So yeah, that'll be a brownie, a goldie, and two redies. And anyone have change for a pinkie?" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
I don't get upset. Totally understand why this happens. I do prefer to use the thematic names when available. But depending on how pasted on the theme is this might fall quickly by the wayside, however.

But in a similar vein I will admit I don't like it when a player refers to money/coins in an ancient, fantasy, sci-fi, or otherwise non-modern themed game as "dollars" or "bucks."

I usually call money in a sci-fi setting "space-bucks", or in other genres something quasi-related... ie: in Istanbul I call them Istanbucks. You'd probably hate me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
FCSchmidt wrote:
apkendrick wrote:

I usually call money in a sci-fi setting "space-bucks", or in other genres something quasi-related... ie: in Istanbul I call them Istanbucks. You'd probably hate me.

I'm cool with "space bucks." laugh

Just not "dollars." I know, it's weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If all resources are cubes, I tend to call them by colour (e.g. Istanbul, Century: Spice Road) because it's not easy to necessarily remember the names of the resource.

At least in Stone Age, they have different shapes, so if not calling them by their resource name, you could use the shape: "stick, rectangle, octagon, trapezoid"

Or, just upgrade using a Stonemaier Treasure Chest and then you really do have resources that look like wood, bricks, stone and gold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play SA, i could care less what people call the resources so long as the play flow isnt slowed by quibbling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john ford
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to admit, referring to colors instead of their actual names would bug me a lot. Almost as much as the "same difference" construct which literally doesn't mean anything and everyone seems to understand what it doesn't mean but it gets said ANYWAY and. . . OK, deep breaths, deep breaths. . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had this happen in Goa. I am not a spice guy so I don't know the names of the spices and have to refer to them by color. I don't think the other players were upset, but they would tease me with a "you mean spice1 and spice2?" Me - "are those the red and green ones? Then yeah, sure, whatever."

Full discloser, I've been THAT guy in caylus. Far too many people call money 'gold' which really bugs me since gold is one of the resources. I had a whole spiel "I don't care if you call them bucks, dollars, woolongs, coins, or rupees. Just please don't call them gold. Those are the yellow cubes over there."

One player after hearing that spiel for the 2nd or 3rd time said something like "he's pretty anal about that... but he has a point."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
I've only had this happen in Goa. I am not a spice guy so I don't know the names of the spices and have to refer to them by color. I don't think the other players were upset, but they would tease me with a "you mean spice1 and spice2?" Me - "are those the red and green ones? Then yeah, sure, whatever."

Full discloser, I've been THAT guy in caylus. Far too many people call money 'gold' which really bugs me since gold is one of the resources. I had a whole spiel "I don't care if you call them bucks, dollars, woolongs, coins, or rupees. Just please don't call them gold. Those are the yellow cubes over there."

One player after hearing that spiel for the 2nd or 3rd time said something like "he's pretty anal about that... but he has a point."

So then, anal-bucks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonjeshk wrote:
So then, anal-bucks?

Those would bring a whole new meaning to the term, "filthy lucre."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:

That's what one person kept calling ore in 7 Wonders... gold, when that's it's own thing (via tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
FCSchmidt wrote:
apkendrick wrote:

One of the guys that comes to our Board Game Café refers to every currency, in every game, as 'pennies'. "I select the Prospector, and get 2 pennies"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kunnagh wrote:
apkendrick wrote:
FCSchmidt wrote:
apkendrick wrote:

One of the guys that comes to our Board Game Café refers to every currency, in every game, as 'pennies'. "I select the Prospector, and get 2 pennies"

For currency I try to say "coins" regardless of the actual name like denar, thallers and whatnot but if it's paper money then I say "bucks"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:

This'll sound silly, but that's the first time it's occurred to me that our English word spiel is the same as the German spiel. Funnier is that I'm so used to it meaning a game now that I had to do a double-take on what you were saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liallan wrote:
kusinohki wrote:

This'll sound silly, but that's the first time it's occurred to me that our English word spiel is the same as the German spiel. Funnier is that I'm so used to it meaning a game now that I had to do a double-take on what you were saying.

I make no guarantee that I'm using the correct spelling and/or word...

I could practically make that my forum signature tag sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my limited knowledge... spiel can mean "game" or "play" in German, both in the "playing a game" sense and "acting a play". So, the English-via-Yiddish-or-German "spiel" is more of the "telling a story" (as in a play) form of the word, rather than "playing a game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Yeah, I know a Voyages of Marco Player who refers to the money as gold, which can get confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games that use coins for money I always use the word "coin" or "coins", it can get very confusing even if the games calls coins gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.