Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're on our second run-through of our first curse (failed the first try), and we haven't saved the game when we quit for the day. We just leave it out and start where we left off. Also, when we get to the edge of the table we've been just shifting everything in order to make room as opposed to following the rules for resetting and starting in the center of the table.

What are you all doing in these situations? What are the pros/cons to the various approaches?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main pro is that there are lots of places that have multiple green cards and one gold card. One of the green will have the banish to gold symbol. If you don't save the game and reset, you'll never see the OTHER green card(s) (and believe me, in many cases you WILL want to see those cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the save mode is meant to be a way to pack the game up if you need to. There's certainly nothing wrong with leaving it out if that's an option for you.

Similarly, I think the rule about the edge of the table is simply for convenience and practicality. Even that rule doesn't define how many cards you do or don't remove when you need to slide the map to fit on your table, so as long as it fits you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Fryrd
France
Grand Champ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Riptorch about saving... and the page 3 of rulebook says :
"We recommend that your sessions run between one and
two hours, since some events – game/prey returning to be
hunted, for example – cannot happen unless you save the
game (as if you had camped for the night)"

Generally in solo, I save after 3 hours.

I agree with Dormammu though about sliding terrain cards when hitting the edge of the table... that's simply practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riptorch wrote:
The main pro is that there are lots of places that have multiple green cards and one gold card. One of the green will have the banish to gold symbol. If you don't save the game and reset, you'll never see the OTHER green card(s) (and believe me, in many cases you WILL want to see those cards.)

Does completing a curse ever directly depend on this? Or is it just a matter of getting to the gold card is better for us in terms staying alive longer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Riptorch wrote:

Does completing a curse ever directly depend on this? Or is it just a matter of getting to the gold card is better for us in terms staying alive longer?

The quick answer that comes to mind is that some hunting grounds have multiple green cards which are more effective than the gold card. So if you want to be able to hunt on the other green card(s) after the first one is banished, you'll have to sleep/save in order to get it instead of the gold card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archr wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
Riptorch wrote:

The quick answer that comes to mind is that some hunting grounds have multiple green cards which are more effective than the gold card. So if you want to be able to hunt on the other green card(s) after the first one is banished, you'll have to sleep/save in order to get it instead of the gold card.

Yes, that's the main one I'm thinking of, but there are others....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It bothers me that the game doesn't have a real structure for when to save. The whole 'recommendation' is not a rule, so it can be 'metagamed' to an extent.

I wish there was a round track of some sort that, if exceeded, you have X amount if turns to stop and save or you will start taking some related status cards.

But hey, maybe they'll fix it in next Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Riptorch wrote:

I can think of one curse where saving/resetting helped to make the goal achievable more quickly, but was not NECESSARY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
It bothers me that the game doesn't have a real structure for when to save. The whole 'recommendation' is not a rule, so it can be 'metagamed' to an extent.

I wish there was a round track of some sort that, if exceeded, you have X amount if turns to stop and save or you will start taking some related status cards.

But hey, maybe they'll fix it in next Kickstarter.

I'm pretty sure the intent is to be flexible to fit the player's situations. When you're done playing for the session (for whatever reason), save!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing solo and I can leave it set up on my table indefinitely.

I do a save/restore action whenever I feel it's appropriate, such as when I am running off the edge of the table, or I *think* I am transitioning to a new area and won't be going back soon. If I plan to do a staircase transition soon, I will plan to do it then. Sometimes I do just move all the cards over if I chose poorly about where I originally centered things.

I don't think I've ever done it specifically to reset hunting grounds, or to get ride of an annoying exploration event, but it is an option.... If I have food and convenient fire already setup, I will usually eat the food before resetting.

Basically, I try not to be "gamey" about when I reset, but just do it when it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some random points regarding saving;

Hunting grounds often have a rest action that allows resetting of a gold to an available green without needing to save.

There are some cards or actions that are triggered by saving and thus encourage you to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:

Hunting grounds often have a rest action that allows resetting of a gold to an available green without needing to save.

There are some cards or actions that are triggered by saving and thus encourage you to do so.

Until I read this in another thread today, I had totally missed that you can return the gold hunting cards with an action. This actually is probably a lot more efficient than saving and loading as you don't have to re-explore if you already had.

As I mentioned though, I've seen a few (not many, but a few) areas that saving and loading would allow you to explore alternate versions of cards that may or may not be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Roe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SolarJ wrote:

Huh? How does that work - presumably if you have the gold out, the other greens are in the past? Does the action specifically say to return those greens as well as the gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droe wrote:
SolarJ wrote:

Huh? How does that work - presumably if you have the gold out, the other greens are in the past? Does the action specifically say to return those greens as well as the gold?

Not necessarily. If there were 3 Greens and you put one out on the board, then it instructs you to replace it with the Gold version... there will still be 2 more Green options left in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droe wrote:
SolarJ wrote:

The green card has the icon that banishes it and replaces it with the gold card. That happens even if there is another green card with the same number. If you do anything that returns the gold card, you will get another green card the next time you pull that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
droe wrote:
SolarJ wrote:

The green card has the icon that banishes it and replaces it with the gold card. That happens even if there is another green card with the same number. If you do anything that returns the gold card, you will get another green card the next time you pull that card.

Huh... I've been playing that wrong this whole time... I was banishing the card, but not replacing it with the gold card... I would then take the look action again and pull out the next Green card (or Gold card if there were no greens). I suppose the icon is pretty clear, but for whatever reason I broke it into multiple steps... and made the hunts a little easier overall. Thanks for chiming in! I'll have to make sure I correct this in my future games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent McClard

California
msg tools
In the game we have been playing at least two different events forced a reset. Our first session we never reset taking 8 hours of play, but in the second session we were forced to reset.

I think there are pluses and minus to doing a save/reset, but it doesn't matter either way since you will eventually hit forced resets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.