Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any interest in an "unmoderated" meetup at BGG.Con this year? Thursday night around 7 as usual?

edit: in the bar, also as usual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Any interest in an "unmoderated" meetup at BGG.Con this year? Thursday night around 7 as usual?

edit: in the bar, also as usual

Look8ng forward to seeing folks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting off to a late start with my BGG.CON planning, but I'm in.

(Not the latest start, but if I wanted to set new records every year, I'd be a meteorological data collection station.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, Dave Ramsey tells me I can't go. But....

I can budget for it. Not for this year, obviously. But for 2018, perhaps... or even 2019. But at some point. My question on this, though, would be how much I should expect to budget. What do people generally spend on the hotel/entry/food and such? A naive question, I know, but I am really not a traveler, especially on junkets such as this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

I can budget for it. Not for this year, obviously. But for 2018, perhaps... or even 2019. But at some point. My question on this, though, would be how much I should expect to budget. What do people generally spend on the hotel/entry/food and such? A naive question, I know, but I am really not a traveler, especially on junkets such as this.

$124/night plus taxes and fees for the room which you can split with someone. If you're on a budget you get the most bang for your buck arriving Wednesday early and leaving late Saturday.

It's not as easy as it used to be to leave the site for grocery runs because the current con hotel is inside the airport complex, but it can definitely be done. Request a refrigerator well in advance. Make friends with someone with a car.

Food and drinks at the hotel restaurants and bar are somewhat pricy as you would expect for a decent hotel. The cheapest food at the hotel is available at the snack bar near the general gaming area. Chicken strips, hotdogs, etc for less than sit-down restaurant prices and you don't have to tip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely be at the con, and I actually don't have much business to conduct so I *might* be free. If I'm not in the middle of a game, I will try to swing by!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

It's not as easy as it used to be to leave the site for grocery runs because the current con hotel is inside the airport complex, but it can definitely be done. Request a refrigerator well in advance. Make friends with someone with a car.

I am an Uber driver, so I have sooooo many friends with cars. And we already have something in common to talk about. Talk about and laugh at.

You. I'm talking about you. We'll laugh at our stories of the collective you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

2019 may be more expensive. I think that's the year we move to new larger facilities.

If you don't stay at the con hotel, there are rooms for about $50 a night 12 minutes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

2019 may be more expensive. I think that's the year we move to new larger facilities.

If you don't stay at the con hotel, there are rooms for about $50 a night 12 minutes away.

Which is the new hotel? It was really convenient to stay at the Red Roof Inn when the con was at the Westin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping I'll be able to rejoin next year -- and I think the odds are very good.

In the meantime, Jarred and BJ should be able to drink on my behalf. Pretty sure my total intake over a heavy drinking weekend is rounding error for them on any given night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there and sit quietly listening to the rest of you talk. As always.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Which is the new hotel? It was really convenient to stay at the Red Roof Inn when the con was at the Westin.

This is all that I know right now.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645093/bggcon-preparing-le...

I also enjoy the luxurious accommodations at the Red Roof Inn. About $27 a day with my roommate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

This is all that I know right now.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1645093/bggcon-preparing-le...

I also enjoy the luxurious accommodations at the Red Roof Inn. About $27 a day with my roommate.

They didn't mention what minority group was offended by Red Roof. Disappointed by this lack of drama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll unsurprisingly show up. I hope nobody plans to take a drink for every ban we had since the last con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I'll unsurprisingly show up. I hope nobody plans to take a drink for every ban we had since the last con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

If people started drunk posting from the bar on Thursday night, that could escalate really quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

A drink, sure. A shot: we'll all die.

Except for me. My liver is already dead.

And what is dead may never die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone still need a ticket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys still recommend the con to game and make new friends? I’ve heard mixed things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Do you guys still recommend the con to game and make new friends? I’ve heard mixed things.

That's literally all that goes on there, besides a small vendor area and the Virtual Flea Market/Bazaar as well as a couple other smaller events like a Tichu tournament. But it's 99% gaming and socializing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Shampoo4you wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:

That's literally all that goes on there, besides a small vendor area and the Virtual Flea Market/Bazaar as well as a couple other smaller events like a Tichu tournament. But it's 99% gaming and socializing.

And drinking.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I highly recommend BGG for playing games and socializing. More so than any other convention I've attended (looking mainly at PAX).

Just out of curiosity: what mixed things have you heard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
hibikir wrote:

A drink, sure. A shot: we'll all die.

Except for me. My liver is already dead.

And what is dead may never die.

In the bar at BGG CON dead Shampoo's liver stays drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
einsteinidahosu wrote:

I think a lot of it will depend on the nature of the person and their comfort level with approaching and meeting strangers. I have only gone to the Spring one, which is smaller (and I would assume then less imposing than the larger one), and I really only met people that I am online friends here with and agreed to meet up with, but that's probably mainly because I'm a shy introvert who doesn't really like talking to new people. If you're open and gregarious and don't have issues hunting down "Players Wanted" signs and chatting up strangers, I bet it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.