This War of Mine: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shelling event clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
So on Day 1 I took everyone in the house out scavenging so I could build up a lot of resources. When I get back, I draw the Shelling event which tells me that my house was targeted by shelling if more than one person went scavenging that night. I had to destroy one fitting that was already built (I had none) and deal 2 damage divided amongst everyone "present."

So what does that mean? 2 damage among everyone who went scavenging? 2 damage among everyone who was at the house that night? Or just two damage among everyone because at the time the even was resolved obviously everyone was already back at the house?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Димо Димов
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you leave anyone on guard duty, or you sent all characters scavenging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiflajiq wrote:
Did you leave anyone on guard duty, or you sent all characters scavenging?

I hope someone was on Guard Duty.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If no one was left on Guard Duty, it's "Game Over, man!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just drive home the point. If no one was guarding, you read story 333,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
and then you lose.
Anyway, the event affect all characters still alive.

Edit:confused a few things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hmm, I missed that part of the rulebook somehow. I just assumed I didn't have to leave anyone on guard duty because I've played the video game a lot and in that version you don't have to leave anyone on guard; there are consequences if you don't, of course, but not instant game over bad. I especially wasn't crazy about putting up a guard because all three of my characters are miserably bad at combat and I was hoping I could just pass on guard duty, lose some of my stuff, and keep people from getting hurt. I guess it's also kind of different because in the video game you can only take a single person scavenging which warps the balance a little.

I'm definitely reconning that because I'm not restarting now because of that. Chalk it up as "learning the game" and keep going. I'm mostly just trying to learn the game in general on my own right now so that I can run it smoother with my group later, so it's not a big deal if I botch the rules here and there so long as I figure everything out in the end.

Regardless though, I want to know if the event wanted me to target the people left at the shelter, those scavenging, or everyone. The wording is kind of vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imaloony wrote:

Regardless though, I want to know if the event wanted me to target the people left at the shelter, those scavenging, or everyone. The wording is kind of vague.

Present at the shelter, that's what got shelled. There's never a case where nobody would be hit, for the reason already noted. If you're retconning, just randomly pick a character to take the wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'll probably just ignore it entirely, because that happened at the beginning of Day 2 and I'm about to start Day 4 (I kept on going because I didn't want to get stuck so early waiting for a ruling), and that raises questions of how efficiently I would have been able to heal them and stuff like that. I guess I could slap the wounds on immediately, but eh... it would be good practice for dealing with wounds, I suppose. Speaking of which I definitely need one of my loser fighters pick a fight with someone so I have some practice with fights too. I dunno. Like I said, this is basically just a trial run so it's not a super big deal right now. I guess I'll figure it out when I sit back down to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lheureux
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right in the journal on the dusk phase it notes if no one is left on guard duty to go to the scripts. Present would imply everyone at the house.

As far as going back I wouldn't bother. First time I played I did chapter 1 and 2 and had made so many mistakes I just chalked it up to learning and reset. I find most games take a playthrough to get to know and this game certainly does have a few nuances that take some getting used to. It's not a game ended. If you avoided a wound I am sure the game will have you starving and sick in a minute so it balances out in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Steensland
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also interpret "present" as the time of event resolution, based on the wording. If it was supposed to hit the ones remaining in the shelter, I would guess that they would have instead worded the condition as the shelter had a maximum of X people, rather than the scavenging party being at least of size Y. Possibly a large party is easier to follow, and the shelling then takes place some time after arrival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.