3 Posts

Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Knowledge: know your enemy... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan MANCIC
France
flag msg tools
This variant is used to simulate the fact that a hero learns to defeat an enemy kind by fighting it, the hero learns the tricks and ways of fighting of that enemy, thus making subsequent fights easier.

When you defeat a monster, keep the card. If this card can be taken as a trophy, this is your choice, keep it as a trophy, or as a knowledge.

How to use:
next time you fight the very same enemy, discard* that card. Then, every round of that particular fight, you can freely reroll 1 spent token.
(this might be a little too powerfull, you might only reroll a non spent token)

* The card is discarded, but then, there is some good chance you will beat this enemy, thus gaining a new card, for a "knowledge streak".
If you lose that fight however, it means that that particular enemy surprised you, thus ending your confidence, or shattering your knowledge. You would need to win again against thus an enemy to gain that knowledge/confidence again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that I do not think this variant is too strong to recast a spent token... since 1.) it is highly unlikely for you to encounter the same enemy card -- there are not more than 3 copies of the same card, if I remember correctly, and 2.) You are taking the encounter cards as "knowledge" instead of trophies, which means you are likely not learning many skills, and it'll certainly be tough to learn any that require orange trophies to learn.

If anything, it seems like this variant is borderline useless, as written. The cost of forgoing a trophy on the off-chance that you will run into another copy of that same card seems far too steep.

It also means that you'll never be able to take advantage of this against the Villain at the end of the scenario, which is particularly more important than the battles you fight on the way to the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
I would say that I do not think this variant is too strong to recast a spent token... since 1.) it is highly unlikely for you to encounter the same enemy card -- there are not more than 3 copies of the same card, if I remember correctly, and 2.) You are taking the encounter cards as "knowledge" instead of trophies, which means you are likely not learning many skills, and it'll certainly be tough to learn any that require orange trophies to learn.

If anything, it seems like this variant is borderline useless, as written. The cost of forgoing a trophy on the off-chance that you will run into another copy of that same card seems far too steep.

It also means that you'll never be able to take advantage of this against the Villain at the end of the scenario, which is particularly more important than the battles you fight on the way to the end of the game.

I again REALLY like the idea, but have to agree with the points above.

There are 4 enemy types. You could consider gaining some kind of buff against the enemy type... OR there are also key words for type of creature it is which to my knowledge has not been used. Example: dragon. You could have it affect those key words, though again I wouldn't keep it for knowledge unless it was a permanent buff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.