Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
There needs to be a house rule where multiple die faces cannot be used on a single die. This would keep from any loopholes from being created in the game. For example, someone could put the gambling die icon on all five faces of a die and win the game easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
munchkinloser7 wrote:
There needs to be a house rule where multiple die faces cannot be used on a single die. This would keep from any loopholes from being created in the game. For example, someone could put the gambling die icon on all five faces of a die and win the game easily.

I think you're overstating the problem. There would be at most one spot on the board for adding a gambling face, and as you add gambling faces to that die, moving the monkey around the board would get slower and slower. You do remember the die face must be added to the die that was rolled, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
munchkinloser7 wrote:

I think you're overstating the problem. There would be at most one spot on the board for adding a gambling face, and as you add gambling faces to that die, moving the monkey around the board would get slower and slower. You do remember the die face must be added to the die that was rolled, right?

This ^^
The theoretical situation that a die has 5 faces (Since the 1-pip cannot be modified) of the same, good stuff (Gambling in this case), is indeed quite difficult to do in practice. Then you're down to just 2 or 3 sides, it gets difficult to roll exactly that amount.

And playing on a late prototype at Gen Con 2014, one player did just that.... he used one die for movement, but modified another, which ended up giving him an illegal edge.

EDIT: clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To his point though, there are other ways to update a die face to maximize this. He could put the 9 pip die face on that die and use the ---> to point to the gambling face and he is pretty much guaranteed to be able to either roll the gambling face, or get to move pretty much anywhere on the board he wants.

I may try that next time as I'm always getting beat by trying to do too much and thereby not making any traction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
munchkinloser7 wrote:

This ^^
The theoretical situation that a die has 5 faces (Since the 1-pip cannot be modified) of the same, good stuff (Gambling in this case), is indeed quite difficult to do in practice. Then you're down to just 2 or 3 sides, it gets difficult to roll exactly that amount.

And playing on a late prototype at Gen Con 2014, one player did just that.... he used one die for movement, but modified another, which ended up giving him an edge.

I'm confused by your last sentence. Are you saying the rules at that time did not require the player to modify only the die that was rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
To his point though, there are other ways to update a die face to maximize this. He could put the 9 pip die face on that die and use the ---> to point to the gambling face and he is pretty much guaranteed to be able to either roll the gambling face, or get to move pretty much anywhere on the board he wants.

I may try that next time as I'm always getting beat by trying to do too much and thereby not making any traction.

Of course, that requires both the 9-pip and gambling faces to be in play, which takes a bit of luck.

EDIT: If my math is correct, about 23% of the possible board layouts will have both faces in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
ericamick2 wrote:
munchkinloser7 wrote:

This ^^

And playing on a late prototype at Gen Con 2014, one player did just that.... he used one die for movement, but modified another, which ended up giving him an edge.

I'm confused by your last sentence. Are you saying the rules at that time did not require the player to modify only the die that was rolled?
No. Even back then, the rules stated changing the a die face must be on the die that granted you the movement. So he played it wrong for just more than half the game before we caught it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.