Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew P.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! These ideas aren't any kind of mind blowing stratagems, but they're certainly ideas I keep at the forefront of my decision making while I play (mostly on Blueline's Digital version on Steam).

OKAY HERE GOES!

What are the odds of rolling any particular number in Tatsu? Here is a basic chart that shows number of ways to roll each combination.

Of course, the dice can be used separately, so we need to include the odds of rolling a single number on each of the dice: 11/36 or about 31%. It’s very important to keep that in mind! The odds of rolling a 1 are much better than rolling a 7. Here are the odds (rounded to the nearest whole number) of rolling each number in Tatsu.

At the peak of Mount Hotaka is the number 6.

As you move your Dragon Stones within 6 spaces of your opponent’s Fire Dragons, you are in much more danger than staying 7 or more spaces away. There are of course exceptions to this, but that’s the basic idea.

The Snare and Flare

I picked up this tactic while playing against the designer of the game, John Yianni. Fire Dragons and Vine Dragons working together are a powerful threat. The idea is to entangle your opponent’s Fire Dragon with your Vine Dragon while keeping your own Fire Dragon within an ideal 5 or 6 spaces.

Assuming there is a spot for the Black Vine Dragon to land, Black will destroy the White Vine Dragon if either die rolls a 5 (roughly 31%) while White has only 3 rolls or an 8% chance to destroy Black’s Fire Dragon (5/5, 5/6 and 6/5) and one roll to escape safely (6/6). If the White Fire Dragon escapes, but stays in front of the Black Fire Dragon (rolling 4/1 for example), Black will have a nice shot at going past or destroying it. This is very effective if you’re 6 spaces away and the Black Fire Dragon is atop another Black Dragon.

Here, Black will destroy White’s Fire Dragon if either die rolls a 6, Black is completely safe against White’s long shot 6/6 roll, and White cannot move past Black’s Fire Dragon. `

I hope these ideas come in handy! I'm working on some more strategy tips, and I'll use actual pictures in the future and not my hastily assembled Word tables. Also, if my ideas are actually flawed, I'd love to know about it and get some discussion going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Andrew

I wanted to make some videos about Tatsu strategy: openings, dice probability, Blocking of entry points, Blocking of corner segments and such.
But unfortunately, not had any time to put towards that.
I really like your name for the Pin & Burn tactic: The Snare and Flare

Looking forward to reading more of your Tatsu strategy tips.

Regards
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.